Author Topic: Luminous Arc (FF Tactics fans click here)  (Read 3730 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Luminous Arc (FF Tactics fans click here)
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »
Luminous Arc Game Trailer

The game came out last month in Japan, I have no idea how good it is but the trailer looks nice.  It really reminds me of FF Tactics, and if anyone's noticed lately I've become a TBS RPG freak.  The game has local and wifi play, sports music from Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger), and is being published by Atlus here in the U.S. according to the new Nintendo Power.  No current date though.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
RE:Luminous Arc (FF Tactics fans click here)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:26:18 AM »
Bump.

Lots of new media here:  Luminous Arc Media

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm picking up this game.  I miss me some SRPG goodness and since Sega has butchered the Shining Force series into an action RPG series, anytime I can fine a decent one, I gotta have it.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Luminous Arc (FF Tactics fans click here)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
This game just came on my radar and I'm really feeling tempted to pick it up. Anyone come across some detailed impressions yet? I'm hoping that the game isn't too tough, because I never beat FFT and don't have the skill/patience for drawn-out punishing SRPGs...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 04:01:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I'm hoping that the game isn't too tough, because I never beat FFT and don't have the skill/patience for drawn-out punishing SRPGs...

FFTactics, Advance? What was so tough about it?

Well I am most certainly going to get Luminous Arc, even though I still have quite a good number of DS games to play.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
I never beat Tactics Advance either.

The rule system bested me at some point (I forgot how it's been so long) and I just couldn't advance or somehting.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
I actually never played FFTA, I was referring to FFT on the PS that I never beat.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
Ah, in that case I will keep my mouth shut because I never played the PS version.

It's a shame that you Mashiro got stuck in FFTA, I'm actually surprised because for someone that devoted 300 hours in Pokemon D I would think that you would also be addicted to the collecting of character classes in FFTA, although you can't really say it was collecting, but both the missions and character classes were addicting to me, another reason why I want to see how Luminous Arc pans out, until FFTA2 comes.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
Yeah, I sank a lot of time into Tactics Advance as well, I even bought (yes I bought) a guide book to unlock the various classes and such. My favorite being assassin (I loved 1 shoting people by turning them into stone lol).

Like I said I don't remember what part I got stuck at but it was pretty far (I think) in the game where I got stuck.

In my defense this was the first ever rpg-tactics type game I played ^^;.

Edit: Needless to say I'll probably pick up the next incarnation of Tactics for DS as, even though I got stuck in Advance, it was fun to play.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
This game is rather fun, and the voice acting, when it is used, is actually rather good.  

My only gripe with the game is with the controls.

Plus:  
Buttons and +Pad control are the way to go, in options, set "up" to be "left" and you will breeze through battle, ignore using stylus for playing the game, or at least just for battle and you won't regret it.

Con:
Stylus control is very broken feeling, selecting a target is very hit or miss and sometimes you can tap on your target all over it and it won't be selected unless you hit the ground tile under the target, and sometimes it's exactly the other way around (hit the ground and it won't select your target unless you hit the target someone on it's body).

You can't use a mix of button use and stylus use in battle, can only use one or the other, and must be set in options for either stylus or buttons.  

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
This game is rather fun, and the voice acting, when it is used, is actually rather good.  

Con:
Stylus control is very broken feeling, selecting a target is very hit or miss and sometimes you can tap on your target all over it and it won't be selected unless you hit the ground tile under the target, and sometimes it's exactly the other way around (hit the ground and it won't select your target unless you hit the target someone on it's body).

You can't use a mix of button use and stylus use in battle, can only use one or the other, and must be set in options for either stylus or buttons.

Actually you can press select at any time to switch to buttons or left or right handed stylus control.  Sure we shouldn't have to press select to do this but at least its there.

I find the Stylus control passable, it's not what I would call broken.  I only notice the "missed touch screen taps" when the spot i want to touch is surrounded by a few characters or something like that.

I've yet to try online but as soon as my friend gets it, we'll be trying it really soon.  Oh and I love how much voice acting is in this game, complete surprise to me how much voicing is in this game.

Offline Case

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 07:24:39 PM »
You know what was the FUNNEST thing about FF:TA? Multiplayer!! ^__^
Seriously, if you're lucky enough to have a gameboy player on your Gamecube, grab some mates, alocate characters and have a ball! Thats how me and my mate beat it. ^__^

As far as this game is concerned I'm soo tempted to grab it tonight and I just may. Review by Casey if it is! How lucky are you guys!
^_^