Author Topic: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive  (Read 161255 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
Disney World was fun, but as previous posted, has not aged that well. I like Disneyland having everything close together, and they have been keeping it up.

Last I was there, they were renovating Disneyland Hotel.

Yeah they are constantly doing something to up keep it, they have done an amazing job of utilizing their space. California Adventure isn't a bad diversion from the park either.

I had the misfortune of visiting California Adventure in its first few years when it was really a pretty tacky theme park that was pretty much the exact opposite of what Walt Disney sought out to build when he built Disneyland (a tacky, generic amusement park complete with midway rides).  I thought the park was alright (and I loved the White Water Rafting ride at what I believe was called Grizzly Peaks and the Golden Dream show), but nothing special.  We did have an absolutely incredible view of the park from our room in the Grand Californian, though.  Yeah, we stayed there since at the time the Disneyland Hotel was still a total dive from all accounts.  The GC also had a great back-entrance to Californian Adventure, and more importantly Grizzly Peaks.

By the way, GP, you should give me a ring the next time you're thinking about coming down to Disney World.  :)

Oh I agree it is going against what Disney would have wanted, but it has some fun rides like the Grizzily Peak and the Twilight Zone ride which has some great atmosphere inside the hotel (not to mention an exciting ride).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
I LOVE the story so far and I hope they don't cop out at the end and have Oswald be a good guy posing as a bad guy or something to that effect. The way they're presenting the "forgotten" characters angle is intriguing and I'd be positively pissed if I was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. He's like Luigi except overshadowed times 1000000000000000. Talk about being totally fame/appreciation cock-blocked.

This game has a ton of potential and it should stay Wii exclusive. If everyone is going to pigeon hole Wii as quintessential the family friendly console, then it should get the mother of all family friendly franchises.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
I LOVE the story so far and I hope they don't cop out at the end and have Oswald be a good guy posing as a bad guy or something to that effect. The way they're presenting the "forgotten" characters angle is intriguing and I'd be positively pissed if I was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. He's like Luigi except overshadowed times 1000000000000000. Talk about being totally fame/appreciation cock-blocked.

Well, not quite.  Oswald wasn't "forgotten" because Disney didn't give a crap about him, like Nintendo is with Luigi.  Disney literally didn't own Oswald again until a few years ago since Universal literally (legally) not only took Oswald from Walt but also bought out nearly all his animators out from under him.  Then after doing that (still without his knowing), they then called Walt out to their offices across the country and informed him that either he was with them or he had nothing.  Walt chose the latter, and on his way back home he sketched a soon-to-be iconic character on the train and named him Mortimer.  His wife told him that name was silly and renamed him Mickey, and from there it's history.

If Oswald's story in the game is anything like that, I could see him eventually becoming a good guy and teaming up with Mickey to get revenge at the company that held him captive for so long and wouldn't let him return home to his family for over 70 years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
The Conglomerate!!!!! :shakes fist:

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
Does anybody else think that the use of "epic" has gone too far?  I see "epic fail" showing up in a lot of TV shows; even House's most recent episode is titled that.  Despite the amazing art shown for this game, the name just sounds dumb to me.  Epic is no longer epic.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »
I agree MegaByte. "Epic" is a term which has been used all too often on the Internet and has kind of lost meaning. But the title could just be tentative... at least I hope so.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »
Epic Mickey doesn't even sound cool....
Well, not quite.  Oswald wasn't "forgotten" because Disney didn't give a crap about him, like Nintendo is with Luigi.  Disney literally didn't own Oswald again until a few years ago since Universal literally (legally) not only took Oswald from Walt but also bought out nearly all his animators out from under him.  Then after doing that (still without his knowing), they then called Walt out to their offices across the country and informed him that either he was with them or he had nothing.  Walt chose the latter, and on his way back home he sketched a soon-to-be iconic character on the train and named him Mortimer.  His wife told him that name was silly and renamed him Mickey, and from there it's history.

If Oswald's story in the game is anything like that, I could see him eventually becoming a good guy and teaming up with Mickey to get revenge at the company that held him captive for so long and wouldn't let him return home to his family for over 70 years.
Well, I don't need the history lesson since I read Oswald the Lucky Rabbit's wikipedia page too.... :P I was just saying that I like what they have planned so far and I'd still rather have Oswald be this crazy, jealous forgotten character that wants to f up Mickey Mouse and his world. It's edgy yet still works. Having Oswald ultimately be a good guy is predictable and lame though I suppose this is a Disney game and there's always a happy ending so either Oswald has a change of heart and becomes good by the end of the game or the bad Oswald is a phony and the real Oswald will come out of no where and save Mickey.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

Well, I don't need the history lesson since I read Oswald the Lucky Rabbit's wikipedia page too.... :P

Alright, this is petty but I was something of a Disney history buff when I was much younger.  I even dressed up as Disney once as a child for Halloween.  I didn't need wikipedia to know who Oswald was.   :P

As for the story, if Kingdom Hearts is any indication Oswald will get a change of heart.  I've never seen a truly misguided "evil" character ever die in a Disney production, especially one in this case who's basically suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:21:51 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 06:19:27 AM »
If it's not Wii exclusive that likely means there'll be a shoddy inferior version on the DS, it's supposed to be heavily based on painting.

Well, I don't need the history lesson since I read Oswald the Lucky Rabbit's wikipedia page too.... :P I was just saying that I like what they have planned so far and I'd still rather have Oswald be this crazy, jealous forgotten character that wants to f up Mickey Mouse and his world. It's edgy yet still works. Having Oswald ultimately be a good guy is predictable and lame though I suppose this is a Disney game and there's always a happy ending so either Oswald has a change of heart and becomes good by the end of the game or the bad Oswald is a phony and the real Oswald will come out of no where and save Mickey.

Or he'll get thrown into the soup and molten.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 04:18:09 PM »
Prediction:

360/PS3 versions will be largely ignored. Wii version will be shoddy and made with no effort, pissing off Nintendo fans.

HAPPY TIME FOR ALL.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
I could see that happening, but it is interesting that GI said it was Wii exclusive at first. Perhaps that speaks to primary development focus?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
So does this game really use Wii mechanics or not?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
I thought that maybe we should make a list of "Forgotten" Disney Characters that are likely to make some sort of appearance in Epic Mickey.

I found a list of 11 or so characters to get things started: 11 semi-forgotten Disney Characters <-videos at the link

1: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

2 & 3: Clarabelle Cow & Horace Horse Collar

4: Alice - Walt Disney's first "cartoon" work - Live action/cartoon blend

5: Perri - Live action

6: José Carioca

7: Panchito Pistoles

8: Peter Pig

9: Foxy Loxy - from Chicken Little

10: Alexander de Seversky

11: Robert Benchley

12: Goldie

13: Professor Owl

How many characters am I missing and how many of these do you think we might see in the game?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »
I could see that happening, but it is interesting that GI said it was Wii exclusive at first. Perhaps that speaks to primary development focus?

If you look at the studio pics (rumor post) they have nothing but Wii controllers everywhere.
I'm pretty sure they took out the "Wii Exclusive" part so that people will buy the magazine to see whats up and then do a proper reveal when the magazine is released.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:15:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
Does anybody else think that the use of "epic" has gone too far?  I see "epic fail" showing up in a lot of TV shows; even House's most recent episode is titled that.  Despite the amazing art shown for this game, the name just sounds dumb to me.  Epic is no longer epic.

Warren Spector is the only person in gaming who could credibly use that word. He's worked on nothing BUT "epic" games.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »
The game seems to utilize drawing quite a bit, I don't see that happening on a 360 or PS3 controller unless it used the ice cream cone of doom or Natal, even then it is unlikely because it may not pay to develop the game for those control methods which will likely be a small market.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »
Don't be stupid, GoldenPhoenix. Sony created motion controls just like they created shoulder buttons and analog sticks. They take more risks than Nintendo.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:40 AM »
I bet they just wanted to leave the door open for other console versions if it makes sense to port it down the road.

Even though it may end up being exclusive for Wii, they don't want to say that and then change their mind.  If they do that all the silly fanboys will do ridiculous things like boycott the game because they lied to them.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
Mentioning Wii was probably a goof by the magazine in the first place, a fumble in their strategy.  Keep the platform spec ambiguous so that the Mickey news invites "all readers/gamers" instead of shunning PS3/360 from the get-go, getting more people to checkout the magazine.  Maybe later they'll spring "exclusive to casuals," but only after they got the attention they wanted.

The exclusivity on info/content only benefits GI way more than Disney.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
It has been reconfirmed by GI as a Wii Exclusive, it was just that it leaked out prematurely.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/08/epic-mickey-coming-exclusively-to-wii.aspx

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
It has been reconfirmed by GI as a Wii Exclusive, it was just that it leaked out prematurely.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/08/epic-mickey-coming-exclusively-to-wii.aspx
Quote from: GameInformer
We were trying to save this nugget for when the magazine hits this coming Monday, but it seems the rumor mill has gotten out of control and it is time to put it in its place. Disney Epic Mickey is indeed a Wii Exclusive. If there is another version in the works out there for another system, we certainly aren't aware of it.

If you look at the studio pics (rumor post) they have nothing but Wii controllers everywhere.
I'm pretty sure they took out the "Wii Exclusive" part so that people will buy the magazine to see whats up and then do a proper reveal when the magazine is released.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:19:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
People panic too easily.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Tanatoes

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »
People panic too easily.

Well we've been bitten so many times.  Do your really blame us?
-------
Why can't Wii be friends?  0639 9148 4145 6376

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
This being exclusive is good news because it means that chances are the paint brush won't be gimped, that it can be developed fully around the Wii's strengths.