Author Topic: Roundtable Discussion: Reactions to the May 17 Nintendo Direct  (Read 9952 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Roundtable Discussion: Reactions to the May 17 Nintendo Direct
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
Killer Instinct was a Rare IP, Nintendo just published it. Same with Blast Corps. Nintendo published them, but didn't own the IPs.

Anyways, the Wii U had a great launch, then a mediocre few months after. Hopefully this week is a sign it will improve.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Carmine really hit the nail on the head when asking what people online really mean by a "new IP."

They are honestly looking for a new world and central character that are considered an integral part of the Nintendo pantheon.  It wouldn't have to be Mario or Zelda level, but at least alongside the likes of Kirby, Star Fox and F-Zero (might add Fire Emblem given Awakening's success).  I understand that Nintendo generally designs starting at the gameplay concept and then attaching a character/franchise to it, but Nintendo does need to have that new face to embody that design in order to satiate those masses crying out against "rehashes."  At the very least, the conversation can finally move to "Nintendo triumphs again" vs "It's not as good as the old days."

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 12:15:01 AM »
Carmine really hit the nail on the head when asking what people online really mean by a "new IP."
"New IP" obviously means first person game by american studio made with at least 10 million budget, having an expensive ground TV ad campaign, released in retail, targeted at 11-25 male demographics and not made by nintendo.

Everyone knows that.

That's why Kid Icarus isn't considered new enough, even if they never played NES game. That's why come E3, and Retro's game will be revealed as Star Tropics, it will be classified as usual rehash tripe, despite 99% of them never knowing this series existed before.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mackowl

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
A game that follows the trail that No More Hero's left behind would be excellent. For a Wii exclusive, NMH was everything that Nintendo usually tends to stick away from. Oceans of blood, many Sexual Innuendo's (remember charging that Katana? The up and down motions were both hilarious and used the Wii's motion features well) and a Plot full of twists and interesting Final Bosses.

NMH 2 for the most part was fun for it's new twist on the original, and adding two more playable characters into the series. It felt a little Tacky, and the dissapointment I had when I found out that I would be fighting only 12 bosses (instead of the 50 I assumed I would have to by being ranked 51, and two of the bosses in the sequel were in the 1st game I believe.)

A third in the series for Wii U, or anything else that Suda51 or Grasshopper can contribute I think could grab alot of people's attenton if Nintendo were to start developing more games like NMH. Agree/Disagree?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
Hell yeah. Loved No More Heroes. I'd love to see Suda51 make an over-the-top Wii U game that includes making people use the gamepad in ways that evoke nervous laughter, like he did with the WiiMote. Not joking.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stark_Nebula

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
The staff here is pretty set on Retro's game being Metroid. If you ask me, I'm betting all on that it is Starfox. It feels right for some reason. Also, I'd just like to say that I'm tired of Metroid. Those games are great (in general) but jeez! Pace yourselves, Nintendo. Come back with things like Starfox and F-Zero, much like you did with Metroid after the absence on N64, and dribble them out on a bidecade basis or something.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
As a lifelong Nintendo fan who currently sees little reason to own a Wii U, a Retro developed Metroid Prime 4 would singlehandedly have me singing a different tune. A ChAIR (or Retro, again) developed 2D Metroid game would have me mailing all of my credit cards and personal info to NOA headquarters.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
Gosh, why is everyone so down on Metroid? It's a much better franchise than Starfox, that's for sure.

Well, every Nintendo franchise is better than Starfox. Get it? Because Starfox is terrible.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
I wouldn't say Star Fox is terrible, but I do agree Metroid is far better than it. I would give anything for Retro Studios to be making Metroid Prime 4.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
While I would rather have Retro working on something other than Metroid, it would be nice to get rid of the awful taste that Other M left in our mouths

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Retro is working on Mario Kart and _________. What goes in that blank determines whether it's something good or Metroid.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »
The staff here is pretty set on Retro's game being Metroid. If you ask me, I'm betting all on that it is Starfox. It feels right for some reason. Also, I'd just like to say that I'm tired of Metroid. Those games are great (in general) but jeez! Pace yourselves, Nintendo. Come back with things like Starfox and F-Zero, much like you did with Metroid after the absence on N64, and dribble them out on a bidecade basis or something.
Close. You've got the first half of the game's name correct.

StarTropics FOR THE WIN.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2013, 03:10:53 AM »
I mean, don't get me wrong- Retro doing another Metroid would be awesome, but I think I'd be equally as interested in any other IP they'd tackle. If we get Metroid, I won't be disappointed, but if we didn't, I would be. It's been a while since we've had a Metroid game, and we need to start fresh after Other M.

What I'm saying is, I want another Metroid game. I don't care if Retro makes it or not.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.