Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 175277 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #675 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:48 AM »
I've seen another PSM commercial this weekend, Sony paid Warner Bros. Interactive to focus on the PlayStation 3 version of The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (which supports PSM). It still seems like they could be doing more to support it.
Let's face reality, are the same people who denonuce the Wii so many times over going to really buy an obvious knock off?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 20, 2010, 09:59:54 AM »
Yes.  From what I've read, everyone who's bought a Move everywhere have loved it. Every single one.

My guess is they've never played Wii Sports Resort or used a video camera.  It's very possible, even if somewhat sad.

Edit:  Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's basically the whole Hi-def TV syndrome:  Regardless of the actual quality of the HD TV you own, studies show that for at least those who are proficiently educated in HD TV differences rate their own TV higher than they'd rate some better quality screens.  It's kind of like the whole placebo effect, but people tend to be optimistic when it comes to their own decisions, even if they don't make sense through standard logic and reason.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Let's face reality, are the same people who denonuce the Wii so many times over going to really buy an obvious knock off?

It depends on why they "denounced the Wii so many times."  If it was because technologically the Wii Remote was a P.o.S. whose motion controls only kind of worked until the MotionPlus released, I don't see why they wouldn't get the Move.  If it was because of the type or style of games available on the Wii (specifically casual Shovelware, then the Move is just as bad (and, at the moment, probably worse).  If it was because they hate Motion gaming in general, obviously the Move isn't any different.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 20, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

It depends on why they "denounced the Wii so many times."  If it was because technologically the Wii Remote was a P.o.S. whose motion controls only kind of worked until the MotionPlus released, I don't see why they wouldn't get the Move.  If it was because of the type or style of games available on the Wii (specifically casual Shovelware, then the Move is just as bad (and, at the moment, probably worse).  If it was because they hate Motion gaming in general, obviously the Move isn't any different.

Software examples for the Move, so far, demonstrate the Move only kind of works.  In fact, since there's not such great pointing functionality, any game that utilizes a directional aiming mechanic really doesn't work all that swell right now. To be fair, I haven't played or talked to anyone who's played RUSE, which is probably the title most people will wind up talking about in relation to the Move, so I need to check out that before I render too many more opinions.

Watch Move in action, though.  The device currently operates only marginally better than the initial Wii Remote in most cases.  The main title where it doesn't is Tumble, which is probably the one title I'd recommend based on my research.  In some cases, the Wii Remote actually functions better than move, since pointing direction is more accurately picked up via the Wii Remote's sensor bar and built-in camera compared to Move's camera, which doesn't seem to utilize a second point of reference for direction nearly as well.

So all-in-all, I still think the flaws with Move match up with the flaws of the basic Wii Remote pretty evenly, with pluses and minuses on both sides.  The Wii Remote with the Motion Plus still beats Move hands down so far, even if it's rarely utilized, except in the EyeToy styled games, which have been around for half a decade.

Figures, as soon as I mention RUSE, I find out I can get a review copy.  Too bad Sony won't send a review Move, too. -_-

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #679 on: September 20, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
All of the reviews for PSM games that I have seen tend to basically say "it's a decent/good game, but quickly loses its appeal". For example, reviwes for EyePet mention that it's length is incredibly short and that the activites quickly become tedious. The controls don't seem to be as accurate as the Wii Remote either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
Software examples for the Move, so far, demonstrate the Move only kind of works.  In fact, since there's not such great pointing functionality, any game that utilizes a directional aiming mechanic really doesn't work all that swell right now. To be fair, I haven't played or talked to anyone who's played RUSE, which is probably the title most people will wind up talking about in relation to the Move, so I need to check out that before I render too many more opinions.

Yeah, I've heard bad things about the control in the launch games, though I've heard the Move controls in RE5 Gold Edition work just fine.  IGN's only problem with it was using the Move button to shoot instead of the trigger.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
So I actually saw a Move ad last night while watching football.  My brother was watching with me and he doesn't really follow games so he doesn't really know anything about Move, just that Sony and MS are attempting motion control and that it be released at some point.  The second the ad started to show footage of the family playing he immediately says "Gee, what does this remind you of?"

He's not a cynical hardcore gamer who frequents forums.  He's just an average consumer and he immediately thought that Move looked like a Wii rip-off right down to the fact that that sports game looks like a Wii Sports knock-off.  Does Sony not expect the rest of the world to notice the same thing?  How do they expect this to be a big deal when it looks like the same thing the Wii was doing YEARS ago?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »

Yeah, I've heard bad things about the control in the launch games, though I've heard the Move controls in RE5 Gold Edition work just fine.  IGN's only problem with it was using the Move button to shoot instead of the trigger.

I haven't seen much about Resident Evil 5's performance, either.  I'll put that on my list to check out. 

With other titles, namely Time Crisis: Razing Storm and whatever version of Socom that was already released but is planned to have Move controls patched in, we had trouble and are a bit more skeptical of the Move as a potential 'core' gaming device.  Why?

Well, in Time Crisis, the thing lost calibration FAST.  Two minutes, at the most, was how long I played before I faced some difficulty manipulating the reticule on screen.  In Socom, the problem, from what I understand, wasn't as bad, but there were callibration issues and lag issues inherent with it, as well.

I'm very hesitant, though, because of Move's design.  The bulb is a spherical thing.  The camera, alone can't tell the direction of the bulb because of that design.  While it can easily detect positioning of the Move controller, the direction seems to be based on whatever gyroscopes are inside the Move.  For a third-person game, like Resident Evil 5, this shouldn't create much of a problem.  For a first-person shooter, however, like the two games I mentioned above, it probably won't work well.  While this isn't fact and is just my speculation, I'd consider this a possible inherent design flaw, so long as my understanding of how the controller works is true.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 20, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
Tumble is pretty awesome. It gets  a little boring, but for 10 bucks its absolutely worth it. I'd say over all though, the Move really isn't all that different than Wii Motion Plus. I've played several hours of it now, many in Sports Champions and in Tumble if you have an questions.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »
I can't shake the feeling that Sony spent an extra 4 years figuring out how to do something Nintendo did last year, except less convenient and more expensive.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #685 on: September 20, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »
I wonder how the Move sold on opening weekend. There was a funny picture on Kotaku of a Gamestop midnight launch with one person in line.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »
Sports Champions has a decent amount of 1-player depth that isn't there in Wii Sports Resort, kinda nice in its case. Sure its all in tournaments but at least its there. Gladiator Duel is definitely deeper and better than Wii Sports sword play.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 21, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
Playstation Move bundle..... $699.00 $599.99 @ QVC

Includes:
PlayStation 3 320GB slim gaming bundle
Rachet and Clank Tools of Destruction video game
Sports Champion game
Surf's Up movie
PlayStation Move starter pack with motion controller and eye camera
Deluxe vertical stand
Warrior pack with a shield and sword
Table tennis two pack
Archery bow
Disc golf/bocce ball/volleyball accessory
Four silicone controller skins
PlayStation 3 Blu-ray remote
System case
HDMI cable
Console measures approximately 11-1/2"W x 11-1/2"D x 2-3/4"H
1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Made in China
http://twitter.com/PlayStation

Unbelievable deal people, better get yours while supplies last :rolleyes:

Note how it has each move shell in pairs and FOUR dualshock shells but includes only one move controller and one dualshock.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 14, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Move makes its mark in Europe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-14/sony-sees-strong-europe-christmas-sales-says-ps3-may-beat-its-targets.html
Sony Corp., the maker of the PlayStation 3, sees “very, very strong” Christmas holiday sales for its video-game consoles in Europe, said Andrew House, head of Sony Computer Entertainment in the region.

The company expects to exceed its target of sales of 15 million PS3s in its fiscal year, aided by “strong demand” in Europe and North America, House said in a Bloomberg Television interview in Rome.

“Sales have been significantly up year-on-year in a market that has been overall slightly down,” he said.
Move has had “very significant sales in the first month since launch, somewhere in the region of 1.5 million units for the new controller across just Europe,” House said. “The initial sales response has been so far in excess of our initial plan that we’ll probably be looking at accelerating production.”

there some bits about GT5 in that link too if you're interested.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2010, 12:39:38 AM »
What does Nintendo have to counter this and get consumer's attention this holiday season? It seems to me that Nintendo has been resting on the laurels of its existing game library for too long. It worked well for them in previous years because the competition was pretty weak, but this year Sony's picked up a lot of steam.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: October 16, 2010, 03:20:35 AM »
DKCR

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 18, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
DKCR
I was going to say that, Goldeneye and the Wii Remote Plus.

It worked well for them in previous years because the competition was pretty weak, but this year Sony's picked up a lot of steam.
Steam can burn you if hot enough.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 18, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
I dont see no reason why sony had to go nintendo's way, i mean come on they have millions to spend on research for new products and they went the easy route, well thats too bad, because am pretty sure even with the success nintendo has had with motion controls, the market is a bit saturated, so am betting nintendo wont even market motion controls on their next console cause motions has become old fad.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 18, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
I dont see no reason why sony had to go nintendo's way, i mean come on they have millions to spend on research for new products and they went the easy route, well thats too bad, because am pretty sure even with the success nintendo has had with motion controls, the market is a bit saturated, so am betting nintendo wont even market motion controls on their next console cause motions has become old fad.

:confused; Sony's Move isn't really that new. They've been doing Eyetoy demos based on motion tracking of different colors for years now. they just took that concept and added it to the wiimote because the wiimote was a proven product that makes sense. You need buttons and something to hold, and Kinect is likely to reinforce that idea very shortly.

Besides, Sony did exactly what we all knew they would do, and that is copy what Nintendo did but turn it up to 11 or multiply it times 2.
You think the button set-up makes sense?

I would have preferred they just do what we all know they intended to do

It's not quite that but almost. Probably as close as they could get without violating any patents.
that post if from over a year ago and the pic is from atleast a year(or 2) before that.

Sony's choice was to either buy into the Kinect tech (before MS bought it) which was already very similar to Eyetoy R&D, or find a way to piggy back on Nintendo's success by using Eyetoy R&D and incorporating the Wiimote. I personally think they made the right choice because now they can do what the Wii and MS Kinect can do at the same time. They could have made the wand look a little less like a sex toy, but I think they technically have the best middleground device they could have without stepping on any patents. It may not pointer track as smooth as the Wii or full body detect as "good" as Kinect, but it can do both, and that's what likely make it the superior piece of tech at the moment.

p.s. Did you know that if you google image search Sonymote, my 1st 2 post in this thread pop up 3 times in the 1st row :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:58:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
nice signature!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 21, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
Sony ships 1 Million Move units in NA
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1129631p1.html

N.A. + EUR = 2.5million units shipped so far.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
Now let's see how that translates into software sales.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
TBH, I'm still waiting to see how that translates into hardware sales.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »
TBH, I'm still waiting to see how that translates into hardware sales.

am sure you r gonna see alot of exaggerated numbers through out the holydays season, like shipped units instead of purchased ones.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
I spoke to a guy at Gamestop and he said that the Move controller is selling off he shelves and that the quality is way better than the motion controls found on the Wii. If this is the case, I hope to see what Nintendo has in store for the Wii 2.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.