Author Topic: PGC getting dissed?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
PGC getting dissed?
« on: September 06, 2003, 09:44:02 PM »
What's shaking people. Before I begin, I'm asking the PGC Forum Gods not to ban me because I'm acting on my sense of right and wrong. What I just saw was in my opinon, very wrong.

While combing the 'net for Nintendo-related news, I came across an interesting editorial (I won't say the site out loud but here's a hint   Nintendo+Martial arts place

The second part was a well thought out editorial but what irked me was this:

While Other Leading Sites claim to offer content “24-7-365....Look for more information in the weekENDS to come."

Gee I wonder who's slogan is it? We all know trusty PGC has a dry on weekends, but hey this is a FREE site. These people don't get paid for doing this. They do this for the love of it.

Now I'm NOT asking to flame the writer, but just want some understanding. Why is there need for competition among fan sites? The information is free, why not share? Its what the internet's all about right? Why this 'mud slinging'? What has PGC done to offend thee? We're all friends here right?

Anyway, I just saw an unnessecary jab at its own people. If you're reading this and comb Nintendo news, you're bound to run into it. What's your take?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:PGC getting dissed?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 12:48:30 AM »
actually iv been told on numerous occasions that nintendojo are jackasses. When they were new(when every nintendo site was new) they were one of those places i wnet for for info planetn2000, ign64, tendobox, nintendojo, tendoproject, nshooters.com, opn2000, nintendorks, well the people at nintendojo have had their quality shift downawards repeatedly over the years...have embarassed themselves in front of miyamoto(calling him sama...an insult if a gaijin says it) and have not forced miyamoto with a loaded gun to say he loves them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 03:31:20 AM »
its not the first time either

i dont see how/why internet sites have fanboys, especially ones that both favour the same console, doens't really make sence to me

PGC: hey we love nintendo and do our best to report news
Nintendojo: they love nintendo! GET THEM!
N-Philes: RICK POWERS IS A LOSER!
ME!: I LIKE PIE

its all a very complex situation

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
RE: PGC getting dissed?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 03:56:00 AM »
Nintendojo? Never heard of them. o_O;;
But even so, it seems pretty sad when other Nintendo websites feel the need to bash others. WE ARE NINTENDOJO, WE HAVE A WITTY NAME. LET'S BASH OTHER NEWS SITES.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.

Offline Fish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 04:51:48 AM »
Also, one might the question why did PIAC searched for Rick Powers in the first place. 0_o

I never even knew about Nintendojo, until someone posted that rumor they reported(About FF VII coming to 'Cube).  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 05:06:09 AM »
"Why is there need for competition among fan sites?"

That's like asking why there is war in the world or why man is selfish.  Man's inclination to be bad usually overthrows his inclination to be good.  (Go Hobbes )

But let's not turn this into a discussion of sociology and psychology...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 07:30:04 AM »
I actually learn everything I need to at this forum.  Not even this site, but this forum.  I seldom visit anyplace else.  I do use PGC, though, if the forums have a dry spell. . . it's a good site.

And no, I don't know why some people act like that.  It's ridiculous.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 09:25:53 AM »
PIAC, I just read that forum from nphiles and wow... Rick sure told them. Only two people posted after him and neither continued to bash. Rick, you are doing a fine job with these formus. I don't want to hear...er read the crap nphiles forum users put out. This place is much more...dignified; I believe that would be the right word.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 09:27:25 AM »
Who really cares about Nintendojo? If they've been reduced to taking potshots at PGC because they're not doing so hot, I wouldn't really take their criticism too close to heart.

BTW, how do you guys do that dark blue spoiler thing in your posts?  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2003, 09:31:13 AM »
It's a special tag.  I believe it's something along the lines of <spoilers> </spoilers>, except with []  instead of <>.  It could be spoiler instead of spoilers, too.  I don't use it that often.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 09:39:03 AM »
Thanks hostile, I'll try it out.

Hey, you can't read this!

BAM! It works!

Berny: No, Rick's bashing continued on the 4th page of the thread, with only a user by the name of Duriez defending him. Militant loyalty to a fansite has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2003, 03:54:16 PM »
Nintendojo used to be good, but now they're not.  As goes the cycle of life...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2003, 04:17:31 PM »
I've only ever read IGN, PGC and TendoBox.
There was a site I liked called consolehorizon.com. They started out as a Nintendo-only site (i think it was nintendodolphin.com or something) then they became multiplatform, for like a month before it went under.
Thing was, the guy running it - his name was.......i forget.....I still have him on my email list if he still uses it (Shortdude718@cs.com)- reminded me of myself and how hard it was to run a site.
He had this one great editorial (out of many) that was really inspiring in the early days of the Gamecube. There was a staff there, but since they never got paid, and the site didn't take off like it could have, it went under.
In fact, that site was how i started loving game music, cause they posted the Orchestrated Zelda theme, and I fell in love.
So hey dude, if you're still out there, come here to the forums!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2003, 07:07:27 PM »
Tendo Box eh? I'll give them a look...

Well since the cats out of the bag I'll put up the link so you can read in its entirety *Looks around to make sure the PGC forum gods won't smite him*

http://Http://www.nintendojo.com/editorials (No longer Playing with Power)

His MAIN point was about how Nintendo Power has lost touch with its fans. It was a nice read, save for that blemish that was really uncalled for.

EDIT: Man I should've read the disclaimer. D'oh!
"The views and opinions expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of...as a whole or any of its affiliates."

So that fustration can be pointed to ONE man, not the entire crew.    
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2003, 07:52:49 PM »
Tendo Box has been permanently downed since like 2001.
Sorry.
They were a cool site though. Like IGN when they were still free.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2003, 11:08:12 PM »
I've noticed here in the last couple of months quite a few people on gaming forums dissing PGC. There's usually a lot of stuff about how PGC steals info from other sites and claims it as an exclusive. I think a lot of it probably stems from the fact that most people don't like the boards here because of the strictness and so they diss the entire web site. Also probably has something to do with Billy leaving because it wasn't to long after he left that a lot of this stuff started happening. People have said the sites went down hill since he left but I really don't notice any difference. I do actually think the site isn't as good as it used to be but I've felt that way since quite a while before Billy left. This is mainly due to the fact that there is almost no inside info type stuff anymore. It's all straight report type crap which is really dull and boring. It would be nice to get some more rumors and such.

Nintendojo.com really has no room to talk. There info is almost always stolen from other sites since they usual don't post it until a few weeks after all the other sites have. Anything that they can claim as exclusive is just rumors (usually ones they start) or is so boring as to make posting it pointless. Also their editorials are absolutely horrible. They are nothing but complete biased fan boy sh!t. Most of them are anti-Nintendo and they like to put in numbers and quotes and such that they have completely made up and claim them as fact. Even the people that post in the forums there regularly complain about the editorials. I remember like a year or so ago that some idiot there made an editorial about how Miyamoto was more than likely going to quit working at Nintendo and go to work at Microsoft. He put quotes in there that were taken out of context and just flat out lied about other things. When the forum posters begged that he be kicked off the staff they refused and the guy that made the editorial processed to use every nasty word and phrase he knew at the forumers and nothing was done about it. So yeah Nintendojo.com is filled with ass holes.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2003, 02:21:10 AM »
Agreed, Gibdo.  The GameCube will be around for a few more years, but it is a slowing business in general. There just isn't as much excitement in the platform anymore, and I think that reflects on all GCN sites.

People's imagination and curiosity are slowly starting to sway to the next gen. I don't think it would hurt for PGC to start some more chatter about the next console. PGC had tons of editorials and speculative articles pre-GCN, and they were fun to read. It'd be nice if they went back to these roots while we wait for the next round to begin.
"wow."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2003, 04:29:42 AM »
agreed bigjim!
All that speculation when the GC was announced at Spaceworl 2000 was such a fun time wasn't it!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2003, 01:05:09 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
People's imagination and curiosity are slowly starting to sway to the next gen. I don't think it would hurt for PGC to start some more chatter about the next console. PGC had tons of editorials and speculative articles pre-GCN, and they were fun to read. It'd be nice if they went back to these roots while we wait for the next round to begin.
See that's the big problem with PGC right now. They have decided to make this site which started out a fan site into a super serious strict respectable place. I understand what the staff is trying to achieve but I think it has sucked the life out of the place. I was using archive.org to take a look at PGC of past and I was shocked at some of the headlines. There was stuff like "Playstation 2 will suck". That's something you would never see on PGC nowadays. Not to mention there was a lot more inside info reports and rumors.

Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2003, 03:05:54 PM »
I don't see why they can't bring back Louie's Rumor Report- I mean, it was Billy who stepped down, not Louie.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2003, 08:09:59 AM »
Louie only speaks when he's sure that he's right.  ;-)  Actually, there isn't a lot of secret info floating around right now because there just aren't a lot of secrets in Nintendo.  Trust us, we've been looking and listening.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2003, 12:38:03 PM »
That's no excuse! Make something up if you can't find anything!

Of course, I'm kidding.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2003, 12:57:52 PM »
I loved Louie.  I wasn't around here long enough to read maybe 2 or 3 things from him, but they were always entertining.  And good.

I wanted to find out why he needed typing lessons, how bad he really was.  So I started browsing the archives and read something from him.  Actually, found something from him, and really wanted to read it, but I could only make out a few words.

I'm glad he took the lessons.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 05:36:45 AM »
nah the messy spelling was much better IMO
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.