Author Topic: Screw it, I'm making a Devil's Third Topic  (Read 31844 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Screw it, I'm making a Devil's Third Topic
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:27:48 AM »

From designer Tomonobu Itagaki, the sunglasses wearing creator behind the modern Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, comes his first project since splitting with Tecmo in 2008.

Vahalla games was formed from former members of Team Ninja with Itagaki at the head. They partnered with THQ as a publisher and Devil's Third was first introduced in 2010 with a demo trailer: http://youtu.be/xzLaWbLZl24
Showcasing an over the top third person shooter with mobility and melee featured, little was heard of the game and when THQ folded, it's fate was uncertain.

Now, it's 2014 and Devil's Third is BACK!

Devil's Third was announced exclusively on IGN right after the Nintendo E3 presentation. The first demonstration was rough.
http://youtu.be/3Ndkwgr5eB8

It was also demonstrated at Gamespot which was a little better.
http://youtu.be/vlv5CfVqhTI

Finally it was shown off at the Nintendo Treehouse at E3 and that was best of all.

The story is something about all the satellites getting taken out by space debris and bad guys using the opportunity to take out electronics around the globe. Now the world's militaries are back to lowel level tech.

Somehow a former Soviet criminal named Ivan is involved.

The multiplayer has interesting territory control gameplay with wacky game modes and customizable fortresses and characters.

I don't know about you, but to me despite the roughness and somewhat dated trappings, the game looks fun.

EDIT: Here's a tidbit.The game seems to have went from the Relic Engine to the Darksider's II engine up to the Unreal Engine in its current incarnation. https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-sightings-e3-2014

I wonder if it is Unreal 3 or 4?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:40:07 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Screw it, I'm making a Devil's Third Topic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »
He doesn't need to be shot by those people because cigarettes kill!

I didn't look at this game at all, so I need to do so. Thank you for the reminder, ShyGuy!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:00:45 AM »
Remove shooting, remove online multiplayer component, rename it into Ninja Gaiden Black 2, and i miiiiiight consider to start getting interested in it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
It looks like Call of Duty meets No More Heroes. Multiplayer looks like a nice change of pace from what I have been getting from COD.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
I don't think that's unreal 4. Game looks over the top in all the best ways.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »
Nintendo needs to put Itagaki on their payroll and have him collaborate with Team Ninja to make Ninja Gaiden 4 a Wii U exclusive.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
Goddammit, kytim...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
I'm going to be looking out for this game. Hopefully it gets touched up to the extreme visually.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
I don't understand why people think this game needs a visual upgrade. I mean, yeah, it's not "NEXTGEN" but it doesn't look bad. It's got that stilted, slightly inhuman look that is a bit endearing to me.

Plus, if this massive amount of customization and unique elements are ever going to run smoothly in online play, the visuals might need to be sacrificed.

I'm actually pretty excited for this title- I'm sure I'll suck at it like I always do with shooters but the unique map layouts and brutal gameplay look like a breath of fresh air on Wii U. The story and all of the cultural aspects of the story are really neat, too.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »
The recent trailer doesn't do the game any favors. If anything, it makes it look dated in its art design and trying too hard to be cool. The Treehouse Live demo made it look far better.

Despite that, I am doubtful to how well this game will turn out. Itagaki last memorable game was Ninja Gaiden 2 and that was a long while ago. The development of the game has suffered delays, engine switches, and bankrupt companies. Finally, going on that Polygon interview, I fear that this game will mix the worse qualities of Japanese and American video game sensibilities. I commend Nintendo for picking the game off its feet and I believe this is the sort of thing they should be doing more of, however I can't help but feel that they made a bad save.

I hope Valhalla Games and Itagagki will prove me wrong.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »
http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/2014/09/thought-2014-09.html

A translation of a Famitsu interview is up. Also, the font they use is not easy on the eyes.

To add to my frustration, I can't seem to copy and paste from the post.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
Since E3, we've made major improvements in every area, from graphics to animations to playability

Feeling a little bit of... HYPE

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
So it doesn't suck anymore?

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Even if this game didn't wind up being that good, I'll still respect it for trying something new. They seem to be going out of their way to rethink the conventions of shooters and bet'em ups and you have to respect them for that. Really no wonder that Nintendo would swoop in and pick up a game like this, its right up their ally.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
A Japanese promotional video has been uploaded by Nintendo Co. Ltd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ked9LPANFko

Hopefully, a translation/summary is out there.

The game... looks better, I think? I'm not seeing anything that has completely pulled that game out of "hot mess" status, but things are looking up. I'm mainly worried that the game doesn't play well; that the shooting and melee action don't feel great separately and together. I hope I'm proven wrong, as it would be sad to see Itagaki lose his touch.

I'll give the game one thing: it looks like my kind of silly.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
There are glimpses of previous Itagaki in there (that boss in the church is basically a clone of Alma from Ninja Gaiden) but it is all drowned in a terrible CoD style shooty bang bang guano.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
I still believe!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 12:41:10 AM »
Boxart

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 01:00:46 AM »
I don't understand why people are so fown on this game. It looks wacky and kickass.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 04:40:59 AM »
I don't understand why people are so fown on this game. It looks wacky and kickass.

I agree on the wacky. Some of the ridiculous antics do look kick ass.

Personally, I'm down on this game because there I've seen and read a number of things that could be signs of the game being all sorts of wrong.

1. Itagaki's last release was Ninja Gaiden 2, if I recall correctly. That game was released in 2008. That's a long time to go without a game under your belt. Now it's totally possible he has been observing and researching on the trajectory of games over the time, but who knows.

2. The game is trying to blend first-person aim-down-sights shooting, third-person over-the-shoulder shooting, and stylish melee combat in to one smooth action. Game makers have trouble doing one of those things right, let alone all three at once. We only have video footage to go on, not hands-on experience, but the video footage of Devil's Third's attempt to combine these three aspects look jarring. It is a hell of a feat to attempt, so I hope the game plays better than I think it does.

3. From last year's Polygon interview, I got the impression that the game will be largely made up of the input from the THQ days of the game's development. This is to be expected as I doubt Nintendo would want to spend too much money on this acquisition. Anyway, the THQ influence may have pulled the game in to ill directions. Then again, maybe Itagaki had some bad ideas go through.

Reflecting on the above, I can see how I may be grasping at straws here. Devil's Third is such a curious thing to see Nintendo pick up. By all rights, this game should have faded away when THQ blew up. But here it is as a Nintendo exclusive. This game shouldn't be alive; that it is has me rooting for it a little bit. Seeing the history it has to overcome has me worried for how it will turn out.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »
Is that shot of the sniper girl CG? Parts of this game looks really good to me while others look super "janky" and uneven. Still this could scratch a most specific itch that nobody else is willing to undertake. I'm in.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »
GameFly is listing the release for August 28, which would work since it's a Friday.

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Devil%27s-Third/5008483
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 01:25:15 AM »
Hmm. All valid points. I'm going to hold off on a purchase myself but I do think the online looks super fun.