Author Topic: Australia: Mod Chips Legal  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Australia: Mod Chips Legal
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:36:04 AM »
Source

The headline says it all. Now it just mentions Sony in this article, I wonder if it applies to other systems (as well as future ones...). I guess this is good news for Aussie gamers who don't have to wait 6 months for a domestic release. Or for when a popular game for some reason can't make its way down under.

Question for the aussies out there: Is it cheaper to import games than it is to buy them locally? Assuming that you don't use mod chips just to by bootleg games?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Australia: Mod Chips Legal
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:44:35 PM »
Yes. Out of my last 10 game purchases, only 1 (Killer 7) has been PAL version. New release games are approximately 10 - 20% cheaper online. ($A80 -> $A100) Same goes for DS ($55 -> $70). Importing is essential in both dollar terms and timeliness, Australia still doesn't have Meteos.

AFAIK the only games we've ever received around the same time (or berfore) the US have been DK Jungle Beat and Zelda: Minish Cap. Metroid Prime 2 was noteable for a one - month conversion. This occurred because they basically left the game in NTSC format, in that you needed a 60hz compatible tv.    
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:56:47 PM »
I imported Electroplankton Collectors Edition from Japan and got it for $10 cheaper than games in stores.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes was $110 here. That's $80 American.

Then for some totally unexplained reasons we'll get Anotehr Code and Mario vs DK months before you guys, yet Mario Party 6 was JUST released. as in LAST WEEK. It's ridiculous down here.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
RE:Australia: Mod Chips Legal
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:17:22 PM »
doesnt make them legal
because mod chip dealers have also lost in court

Its like saying cause that guy last year proved saying "fxck" at a cop isnt a insult, and got off
doesnt mean everyone can swear at a policeman

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 09:46:12 PM »

The decision ends a four-year legal battle between entertainment and Japanese electronics giant Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). and Sydney-based business owner Eddy Stevens, who supplied and installed "mod chips" in PlayStation devices.

Looks like this mod dealer won.  I'm no legal expert in Aussie law, but I'm guessing he's also representing other dealers like himself. It'd be goofy if he was the only one who could get away with modding systems.

The High Court ruled that while making a pirated copy of a game is illegal, playing a game using a mod chip is not.

It doesn't really get any clearer than this.

Again, it just mentions Sony's stuff in the article.  I dunno if NAL or MS's Aussie division are in the same battle.  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 06:44:57 AM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
doesnt make them legal
because mod chip dealers have also lost in court

Its like saying cause that guy last year proved saying "fxck" at a cop isnt a insult, and got off
doesnt mean everyone can swear at a policeman

Yeah it does (re: mod chips), it's called precedent. Unless the High Court changes it's stance all inferior courts must follow the decision unless it can be distinguished.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 02:19:52 AM »
I'm just happy that I can play my imported copy of Katamari Damacy now without fear of the cops busting down the door.

Oh, and yes, it is cheaper to import than buy locally in most cases.  I still remember paying $110 for Castlevania: Circle of the Moon at GBA launch in EB, because I simply could not find it anywhere else.  Oh, case in point:

Would you like the US Version of Dawn of Sorrow for AU$57?

Or the Australian Version for AU$72 (AU$79 RRP)?
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »

AFAIK the only games we've ever received around the same time (or berfore) the US have been DK Jungle Beat and Zelda: Minish Cap.

Actually we didn't get Minish Cap til April, 5 months after Europe and 3 months after the US.

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 05:04:33 AM »
Oh really? That's probably why I've got a European copy. My mistake!

But I guess that's the point. Handheld games don't need to be converted to PAL format yet we still have to wait ~3-9 months for an AU version. It's sad.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
I like how EB have posters up in the PS2 section 'warning' people of those AWFUL SOUL DESTROYING cheap imports. Buy locally, buy from us, EB! You'll get an optional $6 one year warrenty! Wow what a deal! Plz give us one hundred and six dollars now okay.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 05:37:13 PM »
'Cheap imports'. That almost sounds like an oxymoron for the hardcore gamer. More power to you guys, maybe they'll start making the prices more competitive...

For the record EB=Gamestop now. Hope they have a decent rival store/chain down under to combat this big behemoth. Or the entire Aussie populace who plays games imports and chip away this new giant.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 06:08:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
... Hope they have a decent rival store/chain down under to combat this big behemoth. Or the entire Aussie populace who plays games imports and chip away this new giant..

No, just department stores (At least in SA).