Author Topic: The Billy sounds off on the DS  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The Billy sounds off on the DS
« on: November 19, 2004, 05:12:23 PM »
Billy Berghammer (For any newcomers, he was the founder of PlanetGamecube) puts the DS through its paces.

Here-we-go

Also, he talks to Mrs.Kaplan on the DS n Stuff.

Link-Get!

Blab away!
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE: The Billy sounds off on the DS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »
The more I read these interviews with Nintendo executives, the more I realize they're generally a waste of time.  They'll tow the company line and do it exceedingly well because that's what they're trained to do.  You're never going to get a shred of information out of Reggie or Perrin, and you're never going to hear them say, "OK, yeah, we screwed up there...we suck."  Come on, put yourselves in their position.  They're there to make sure the public buys their product, so you're never going to get a "straight" answer out of them.  They'll put a positive spin on the most obviously negative of circumstances.

As for the launch, I agree with Billy for the most part - the DS launch is pretty underwhelming.  I'm buying a DS this weekend, but I don't plan on getting any DS games with it.  I'll probably wait until the new year because there's nothing out there right now that really interests me.  Super Mario 64 without full-on analog control?  No thanks.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 06:47:03 PM »
"Super Mario 64 without full-on analog control?"

Touchscreen?  HELLO!?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Lost101

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 06:47:33 PM »
Wow, Kaplan came off as a bit of an.... annoying person Ill just say

Billy brings some good points against the DS but I would go as far as to say he sounds a bit bitter towards Nintendo in general.  This isnt an absolutely stellar launch but it is a decent one and it does have fun games...
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 06:56:11 PM »
I don't like this piece of info: "since the wireless aspect of the Nintendo DS is always on, it should not be used on airplanes since the FAA does not allow wireless devices to be used while in the air."

Yeah.  And what's one of the main places to use a portable?  I can't believe Nintendo overlooked that.  I hate it when they miss stuff that we, who aren't paid to design hardware, can spot right away.

I'm noticing two major problems that come up in virtually every DS impressions I read.  The first is that the launch lineup sucks.  That's a bummer but at the very least it's not a permanent problem.  Eventually the DS will have some games worth buying the system for.  If this was what the Revolution's launch was like then it WOULD be a really huge problem because a good first impression is very important for a console following two "failures".  Since Nintendo's so strong in the portable market the DS will probably survive this initially weak lineup.  It's already sold a few million systems already.

The other major problem is the more severe.  It's the one that can't be fixed.  The DS controls are severely flawed.  First there's the small buttons.  It's not a total deal breaker but it is an example of Nintendo once again designing the controller for themselves without thinking of anyone else.  They want lefties to use it as a d-pad so they designed it primarily with that in mind, completely ignoring the fact that some games will use those buttons for something more complicated.  The second is much worse: no analog stick.  Every impression indicates that the touchscreen is a poor substitute for an analog stick.  This is especially bad to have on a portable.  With consoles you can at least release a new controller.  It's not very nice but it's doable.  But with the DS the only way they can add an analog stick is if they release a new model.  And they can't realistically do that or half the userbase can't play any games that use the analog stick.

The thing that really scares me about the DS controls is that it suggests Nintendo hasn't learned anything.  They're still designing controllers for them and now I'm worried that the Revolution controller is going to have the same controller problems the Cube had where certain games do not work at all because Nintendo can't or refuses to think outside of their own needs.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »
"They're still designing controllers for them"

How so?  The DS's control scheme without the stylus is the most generic SNES thing ever.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 07:10:39 PM »
An analog stick needs a joint to rotate around, those are pretty big. Besides, it's not like anything but maybe FPSes and Kururin games needs analog controls.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
"How so? The DS's control scheme without the stylus is the most generic SNES thing ever."

I explained how, I think.  The buttons are designed as a secondary d-pad much like the N64 C buttons instead of action buttons.  And there's no analog stick despite the fact that a lot of the launch titles are designed as if there is.  Since Nintendo's lone launch title is designed for an analog maybe it isn't exactly designed for them.  Maybe it's just poorly designed.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »
If only NOA had Wario Ware DS ready for launch... *crosses fingers it'll be ready for the PAL launch*

Also, I think if Super Mario 64 DS had everything taken out of it except the mini-games, and it was renamed something new, it would be getting much more positive impressions and reviews. Just a feeling.

I disagree that the launch lineup sucks but maybe that's because I have a weird obsession with how awesome Spider-Man 2 DS looks. But seriously, Feel the Magic, Super Mario 64 DS, the MP Hunters demo and Pictochat should be more than enough to keep any DS owner busy until the next wave of games start arriving.

I also found that interview very amusing, it was like Kapplin was getting GI back for something, perhaps a certain review for Paper Mario 2.  

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 07:55:56 PM »
I don't think Billy likes the control......

;-);-)

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
RE:The Billy sounds off on the DS
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 08:18:09 PM »
Wow, that was an awkward interview. That seemed very rough, but Billy did throw out some awesome questions. Goes to show you how well the founder of PGC is doing! By the way, where is his cat, I WANT RUMORS! ^_^

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 11:41:12 PM »
Handhelds to some degree need to sacrafice comfort and functionality for durability and cost.
However annoying it will be playing Mario 64 with a D-Pad or touch-screen, it would have been more annoying to have to pay more for a handheld with an analog stick only to have it get worn out or broken within the first few months. If Nintendo had somehow come up with a "special" analog stick that would have been durable, cheap, and compact enough to suit the DS, people would just be complaining about it too - just because it wouldn't feel as good as the Gamecube's analog stick.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 12:45:47 AM »
heh, i really didn't understand the review they gave paper mario 2, every review i've seen loved it but for some reason they plain out hated paper mario 2.

I've already played mario 64 ds, and it's not completly different, and if the psp's nub stick analog wannabe is where its at, then i don't want any part of it.  That nub is laughable, unless they changed it from the e3 model that i used, then it is terrible, it seems to sensitive and it feels very weird seeing how it is pressed against the psp system.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 01:12:41 AM »
I don't think Handhelds will ever get analogs. D-pads go through hell and highwater before they break.  Analogs... shall we say... have a must faster turnover rate.  On Consoles this is no biggie.  Just get the controller repaired, or get another.  On handhelds, it is part of the system itself, and must be made with durability and size in mind.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 01:45:45 AM »

However annoying it will be playing Mario 64 with a D-Pad or touch-screen, it would have been more annoying to have to pay more for a handheld with an analog stick only to have it get worn out or broken within the first few months.

Do you want to know what I've been saying since people first started complaining about "needing three hands" to play the N64?

Modular.

Make it so you can pop the D-pad out as a small "module" unit (make sure that the clip is durable), include a matching "analog" module with the system (store it in a film container or something), and sell replacement analog modules.

Both the PS2/PSone and GameCube controllers could probably benefit from an idea like that, but it really seems to fit with handheld consoles (especially ones that decided to sacrifice analog control).

But, most companies have that stupid "we don't listen to unsolicited ideas, la la la, we can't hear you" policy whenever you email them.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 03:58:45 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking.  I have a Vestax mixer (you know, DJing, scratching, wikka-wikka) and what people always complain about with mixers is that the crossfader gets toasted.  Well, Vestax designed their mixer with replaceable crossfaders.  It's not necessarily easy to take them out, but pop off the front of the unit and you can replace it.  Why not have a portable work the same way?  Just have an easily-replaceable analog stick and the problem is solved.

The main problem with Mario 64 DS is the fact that we already know how good the analog control SHOULD be, so we instantly compare it against how it played on the N64 and complain about the controls.  Once we see some good new games that are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for the DS, I think we'll have a better idea of whether or not control will really be an issue down the line.

While I don't think Mario 64 DS was the best launch flagship title, it was chosen for several reasons:
1)  Always good to have a Mario title at launch
2)  Time - fairly quick to port over
3)  Shows that the DS can do some decent 3-D
4)  Popular game will draw people in and get them to at least try the DS

In an ideal world, these are the three titles I would have had for launch:
1)  Zelda Four Swords
2)  Wario Ware
3)  Advance Wars DS

If these three titles would have been available I would have bought all three.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 05:14:08 AM »
have you seen PSP's analog nub.  its a piece of crap.  I don't know if its possible to have analog conrtols on a handheld that works.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 06:10:03 AM »
Ruby: The "no ideas from fans" policy has a reason, someone could send them an idea and if it's used (even if the company thought that up before the mail came in) come back and demand royalities.

Billy got the languages wrong (it's German, not Dutch, Dutch is called Nederlands in Dutch, German is called Deutsch in German) and someone please get him a copy of Spiderman DS, that is hailed as the best DS game out there and Billy didn't even have it! But he tested The Urbz...

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 07:08:48 AM »
I guess he can only test what they give him?

It seems whatever Reggie-magic that was cast on Kaplan was rubbed off as she returns to her defensive, bullish self.

I'm holding off on the DS until there at least 5 must-gets, or the price drops. For me, Mario 64 and Feel the Magic would be the only 2 I'd get right away. I'm hoping the tentative list they have for 2k5 gets bigger.

I was impressed with the stylus controller for Hunters, but I can see where they're coming from for Mario 64 DS.

P.S KDR_11k, so Dutch isn't Deutsch? I always got confused about that...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 08:14:30 AM »
GI: How do you think the DS will fare against the PSP?

Kaplin: I'm sorry, I'd tell you, but I'm getting old, you know, so I'd have to look that up for you.

GI: Um...look, now you're just being silly.

Kaplin: Silly?  I'm being silly??  Look at you, you need a freaking analog stick to play Super Mario 64 DS!  I've never heard that before!  *breaks into uncontrollable laughter and burns down GI building*
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2004, 08:19:21 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
GI: How do you think the DS will fare against the PSP?

Kaplin: I'm sorry, I'd tell you, but I'm getting old, you know, so I'd have to look that up for you.

Kaplin: Silly?  I'm being silly??  Look at you, you need a freaking analog stick to play Super Mario 64 DS!  I've never heard that before!  *breaks into uncontrollable laughter and burns down GI building*

Oh man, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. That was the exact tension I had in mind while reading that interview too!

Offline DS_dude1o1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »
DS will kick some major butt
|)$ is going to be teh UBER leet!
It's coming out 2morrow! WOO HOO!
G4TechTv DS DAY TOMMOROW TOO!
WOOHOO

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »

That would be some heavy-duty hypocrisy there... >=P
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2004, 10:36:10 AM »
I seem to recall saying the whole analaog stick thing since E3... and Perrin never heard it? Hogwash

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2004, 11:03:33 AM »
Yeah that interview had some SERIOUS tension.  I can just imagine her with a smart alecky voice and Billy with a very accusing tone.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine