Author Topic: CrossworDS  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
CrossworDS
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
Yesterday was my Grandmother's birthday, so my brothers and I along with my parents decided to grab her a DS and a copy of CrossworDS as she is an avid crossword puzzle fan.

Surprisingly (or perhaps unsurprisingly) she really digs the DS and is already addicted to CrossworDS. I played it with her for a while and it actually is quite well done. I predict that I'll pick up a copy of it for myself, but I was just astounded at how well it was put together and just how easy it was for someone to play who had never touched a piece of electronic equipment before, much less a video game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: CrossworDS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »
I thought about picking it up based on the downloadable demo off of the Nintendo Channel. It really is an intuitive design its got and i had a blast playing it with my gf on all 3 puzzles it offered (the demo of course).

How much does it cost? If its in the sweet spot (Brain Age $20 range) i might just have to get it. Also how many puzzles does it have?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
I just ordered this from Amazon since they had it as a lightning deal a couple of days ago.  It occurs to me now that I really should have posted that here.

I've been playing the New York Times Crosswords on my DS daily for several weeks now.  I've played the demo of CrossworDS, and I think I like the NY Times more.  The hints tend to involve a lot of wordplay, which I like a lot more than the CrossworDS demo's hints.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:38:17 AM »
Sudoku and Crossword puzzles are some of the best things on the DS.

Eliminating the need to erase or write in the margins has made it nearly imposslbe for me to use a regular paper for Sudoku and frustrating to do a regular crossword.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:40:11 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:49:15 AM »

Deep Silver should totally sue Nintendo for stealing their cringe-worthy name gimmick.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »
Fun fact:  Some NST members actually worked on this game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »
So just thought I'd update this thread. I bought my grandmother New Super Mario Bros. because she told me she wanted a new game with some more action. She calls me last night and tells me that she is addicted to the game and that she likes playing it more than watching TV! I had to give her some pointers to finish the first World, but she is apparently pushing through fairly well for someone who has never played a real video game in her life.

It's amazing how the DS is able to pull in all walks of life and get them turned onto gaming. I find it even more amazing that my Grandmother was able to figure out NSMB by herself with no pointers and actually get as far as the castle. I never thought I'd see anything like this first hand, but it truly is a testament to Nintendo's success.
Check out PixlBit!