Author Topic: PUNCH OUT!!  (Read 82199 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: PUNCH OUT!!
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »
Oh my god, this game is fucking amazing. I am having a blast working through all of the boxers in the game. I played a whole bunch of career mode yesterday and made it up to the second to last boxer. BY far my favorite bout in the game thus far was versus Aran Ryan. He didn't have much character in SPO, but now... just wow. Dude was off the wall, and the manner in which you fought him was so counter-intuitive, it was crazy.

I also spent some time messing with the Exhibition Mode which is also very cool. You can hone your skills on your current challenger, or take on boxers you've already crushed. All of those boxers now have three objectives tied to them for you to accomplish which unlocks some stuff. I did all of the Glass Joe challenges which were all very inventive, and very fun to accomplish.

I'm actually ridiculously excited to go home and play more, the game is that good. This has easily become one of my favorite Wii games over the course of a single day.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »
Picked mine up yesterday and had a friend graciously let me borrow his Wii while mine is being repaired.  I finished the Minor Circuit and quit after getting bested twice by The Great Tiger.  I'm fairly certain I got his pattern down, but was too tired to keep playing.  I completed all of the exhibition challenges against Glass Joe, which proved to be more challenging than I thought.

My only minor gripe thus far, no subtitles.  I want to know what they are saying.  :)

Here's one of our comics for this week:

Taking the boxer stereotypes to the next level.  Remember kids, it's just a joke.  :D
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Grrr...I'm still waiting for Amazon to send my copy.  I'm glad to hear that everyone is having so much fun with the game.  Like many others, I was disappointed when I heard about the final roster, but the things I'm reading here are very encouraging. 

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »
Picked it up last night and I'm definitely hooked (no pun intended).  Here are some quick impressions thus far:

Loved
- Character animations, much more fluid than previous versions
- New ring for each circuit, keeps things fresh
- Combining stars together for one huge punch
- Sounds effects = AWESOME
- KO animations
- Defending the title, great addition

Annoying
- No classic controller support, I've got huge thumbs, and the Wiimote D pad is so tiny
- Only tracks your top time for each character instead of top ten as in the SNES version
- Motion controlled menus
- Lil Mac tires out from punching where as in the last version he tired from getting punched
- No rapid fire punching as in the last version
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
I curious what control setup everybody is using.

Well last night I made it to Soda Popinski. Whatever you do don't hit him with a star.He will counter attack quickly with 2 devastating uppercuts.

Most people have a hard time with Great Tiger
 There is certain counters to his moves that you can do. Experiment with them.

Aran Ryan is a jerk. Watch out for his headbutt.If you just counter punch after he makes his move then you aren't going to make much headway. Got to beat him to the punch.

I haven't played much exhibition mode but it is a nice addition.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »
- Lil Mac tires out from punching where as in the last version he tired from getting punched

I'm pretty sure that comes back from MTPO. You get tired when you throw a punch and it gets blocked.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

I'm pretty sure that comes back from MTPO. You get tired when you throw a punch and it gets blocked.

Definitely.  And I'm sure thats why they reverted to it as this is more of a remake of the original rather than an iterative release.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
I said I almost purchased this yesterday but bought a belated mothers day gift of EA Active instead.
After reading the impressions here,I think I'm gonna byte the bullet and go get this today.
thanx for continuing to make my wallet cry.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »
Amazon has it for $40 BnM, if you don't mind waiting.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
Also forgot to mention the lack of online leader boards.  Thats where this game really has its legs, going for faster times.  The lack of this feature is simple inexcusable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
Decisions decisions...
I'm trading in my EA Active to go get it at BB instead for the free $10 gift card.
But do I spend the $10 gift card on PO now or get it for the same price on Amazon to receive later?

I could use that money($10 gc) for WSR/GST/TW10/Conduit later though

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:30 PM »

That's why I'm waiting.  Normally, even if I elect to use the free shipping option (because I'm really cheap), I normally don't have to wait that long before getting a new game.  This time, they're telling me that my shipping date isn't until May 26th.  Oh, well...
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
Two words: Amazon Prime. Well worth the yearly membership fee, as long as you are a frequent shopper.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 20, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
As much as I dislike whoring myself to Gamestop they're offering 20% credit towards any trade ins for Punch Out.  I gave them three games I know I'll never play again, and walked out paying a cool $15 for Punch Out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 20, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
that is a very tempting offer.
any trade ins? including GC games?

I could proabably part with 5+ GC games and not miss any of them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 20, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
I don't think they take GameCube games anymore. I know they stopped taking original Xbox games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »
I'm not sure, doesn't hurt to call, I used a ps3 game and a Wii and DS one.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
I just returned EA Active(re-bought at BB) and asked about the trade in deal. They take anything they still sell, and gamecube was accepted. So I'm gonna go back there later today with some backlogged games I will never get to

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
I just returned EA Active(re-bought at BB) and asked about the trade in deal. They take anything they still sell, and gamecube was accepted. So I'm gonna go back there later today with some backlogged games I will never get to

Good move.  As Punch Out is a game you can log tonz o time into.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
I'm trying to convince my brother to buy this game so that I can try it out. He was a fan of the NES Punch-Out!!, but he's not so keen on Wii (he bought it for his wife... or so he claims).

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2009, 01:24:48 AM »
Well I got past Soda Popenski. The exibition mode is nice help on tough guys.

Now I have to beat Bald Bull. I got to get all of his punches down.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2009, 01:51:22 AM »
I have to admit, I was never a huge fan of the original Punch Out (I played around with it a little as a kid at a friend's house and found it fun but grew bored after a few fights) so I wasn't really interested in this game leading up to its release.  However, today at work a co-worker brought the game in and just tore through the Minor Circuit during his lunch/dinner breaks, and it looked like a lot of fun.  Don't know why everyone who had a go at King Hippo lost till late in the day (everyone was getting nailed by his double-fist grab lunge, which I don't understand since it looks like you can obviously hit his stomach to stop it), though...his patterns look pretty simple.  Definitely a good party game, based on how everyone watching the game was getting into the vs. mode matches.  Still, I might just pick the game up later on if it drops in price a bit.  $40-$50 seems a bit steep for a game where it looks like you're doing the same thing over and over again (looks like it could get really repetitive).

Incidentally, one of my co-workers playing the game is black, and his reaction to the Disco boxer was priceless.   I found it rather funny that they all had a good laugh over Glass Joe and his flying bread, but got a bit annoyed with the Disco fighter.  :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:54:19 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2009, 04:00:07 AM »
I think it is funny how some are thinking of this game as some party casual game. Punch-Out!! is about as traditional and "core" as you can get when it comes to challenge, it is very "old school" though like any great core title others can pick it up and enjoy as well. But really this is the most "core" console game when it comes to challenge that we've gotten in a LONG time.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:51 AM »
He conveniently forgets that video games are repetitive.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2009, 04:27:33 AM »
This game is designed in such a way that I can see getting as much time if not more then any current traditional game. The challenges alone will take a lot to complete, and I am almost scared to see what Title Defense is about! Not to mention the VS mode is quite creative and fun (I love Gigamac and how it turns into a boss battle of sorts, great stuff).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144