Author Topic: PGC Announces DS Lite Contest  (Read 14417 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2006, 05:52:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Yeah, she pulled the "I raised you and that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars." card on him. Nintendo's blue ocean strategy works a bit too well sometimes. He might get it back if/when she gets bored with it.

The rest of the prizes worked out fine, though, and have yet to be stolen by any relatives.

*Sniff

Poor guy...

If I win this contest, I promise that I will give my old DS to that guy!

With all the upcoming multiplayer DS titles coming soon he will need one...  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2006, 06:45:08 PM »
I still have my old one which I tried to offer to my father but he never got into it.

I'll probably give him that one if he never gets his back, or maybe he can guilt $130 out of his mother and buy a DSL when it comes stateside.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I still have my old one which I tried to offer to my father but he never got into it.

I'll probably give him that one if he never gets his back, or maybe he can guilt $130 out of his mother and buy a DSL when it comes stateside.

I was thinking of giving my old one to my nephew so he can play with his sis and her DS, but he's a hardcore Sony PS2 player. So big, in fact, that he was actually thinking of asking for a PSP... . I told him that if he wanted to send his family to the poor house and a subpar movie player then he should go ahead and ask for one .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2006, 09:28:02 PM »
SUGGESTION: It'd be neat if PGC posted the best ideas. I'm sure that's been thought of/suggested already, but I think it would be neat...

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2006, 10:30:21 PM »
You know, i was curious about that as well... But what's been said before is that it would be a lot of work to go through the hundreds of entries and choose the best ones, then format them and post them...

But here's an idea... after the contest, anyone who wants to post theirs, can just do it on their own. That would take the load off the E3-weary staff (I bet it's been a long – if fun – week for those guys).
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2006, 07:07:44 AM »
I'm sure they'll post an "Honorable Mention" list.

It would pretty much defeat the purpose of the competition if they didn't.

"Here's the winner. He/she had no competition. Good day."
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline johnhummel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one - she just unlocked advanced Sodoku mode and is complaining it's not challenging enough.  Good thing that Brain Academy comes out soon - she's become a monster.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »
I am sorry for bugging you guys like this, I really am, but any word on the contest?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2006, 11:46:09 AM »
Soon! I promise!
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
So, without harassing you a lot, has the winner been notified so that I can stop checking my e-mail every two seconds?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2006, 10:43:24 AM »
As of about twenty minutes ago, the winner was sent notification.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
Very helpful hint to those wondering who the winner is:

It isn't me.

(PGC, you misspelled my e-mail address )  

Offline SLSSNAKE625

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »
Man, now I need to check me e-mail to be disappointed.
:P

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
Well, I got no e-mail... Should us losers go ahead and post ours, or wait for the winner to be officially announced?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2006, 04:35:08 PM »
Well, we're still gonna post honorable mentions, and I haven't sent emails out to those people yet, so you might still get to see your idea on-site.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2006, 05:42:10 PM »
Okay, I'll hold out...

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
nop, no email here, but the honorable mention thing sound interesting, let's see if I get one of those
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »
There is no winner!  Karl is keeping the prize for himself!

Karl's Entry for Alternate Use for a DS Lite Contest:
"Run a contest on PlanetGameCube.com.  Use the DS Lite as the prize.  Rig the contest so I win."

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »
Ack! I've been found out!

The reason we haven't launched the results on-site yet is because I'm still waiting on the winner to give me his contact info. If I don't get it by the end of the day, though, I'll have to contact the runner-up and give him the prize. I really don't want to have to do that, though, since I can't imagine how bitter I'd be to check my email late and see that I won the prize and then got it taken away. That's the breaks, though, so I haven't got much of a choice.

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »
Wow - that would be terrible!

Why don't you post the winner's entry (and the runners-up), and then surely somebody will see it and let the winner know they've got an e-mail waiting!

I hate to suggest it... because I think it would work so if I were the runner up then I would miss out on winning the contest, and I wouldn't get a DSLite, and I would be stuck with my old DS which hurts really badly to play due to my weird thumb joints... but then again, what are the chances that I would be the runner up anyway?

I really hope you'll take my idea rather than just going on to the runner-up before publishing the results - I can barely think of anything more frustrating than missing out on something like this just because of an e-mail address mixup or an extended absence!  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
That's a good idea.  I probably didn't win, my idea was ridiculous, but I don't remember which email I gave you and I've forgotten the password to one of the three I would have used (it usually downloads automatically onto my outlook, but my laptop is lacking internet access right now)
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
Gah, no e-mail for me... I know I didn't have much of a chance, but I AM looking forward to seeing who did win
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
PGC Announces DS Lite Contest
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
Use your head, win a handheld. UPDATE: The contest is now over.

We've all seen the DS Lite. It's sexy, and according to Jonny's review, it's  an awesome piece  of hardware, too. Thanks to our partners at Lik-Sang,  we'll be able to give one lucky reader out there one of these super-sleek  wonder-units. The premise is simple: all you've got to do is write an  explanation (100 words or less) of an alternative use for the DS Lite. The  flashlight for a miner's hat; a really expensive paperweight; even using its  ultra-thin shell for cutting fruit in half, samurai-style! We're looking for  the most creative ideas, not the best writing (thus the word limit), though  being clear, concise, and funny can't hurt.  You may want to check our DS  Lite hardware profile to look at the system and read about its features, to  help you find ideas for your entry. The rules are as follows:    

• Must be 100 words or less.  
  • One entry per person.  
  • Idea must be family-friendly.  
  • Include your real name, plus a screenname if desired (in case you win),  and make sure you email us from an address we can reach you at in the next  couple of weeks.  
  • This contest is open to our readers worldwide.  
  • Employees of Planet GameCube and Lik-Sang are ineligible.  Winners of  the PGC 7th Birthday Bash contest are also ineligible.  
  • By entering the contest, you grant Planet GameCube permission to post  your entry and name (or screenname) online.
  •  

As long as you meet those minimal standards, you're in! The contest starts  today, April 29th, 2006, and ends Sunday, May 14th, at 12 Noon, Eastern  Time. The contest is open to readers worldwide. Simply send your ideas in to  contest@planetgamecube.com.  One winner will be chosen by the Planet GameCube staff to win a DS Lite in  the color of your choice.    

On behalf of the entire PGC staff and the future winner of this awesome  contest, we'd like to thank Lik-Sang for donating such a fantastic prize.  They have all three colors of the Lite in stock, in case you don't win the  contest.  They have also provide a discount code for PGC readers:  LS-7DA093455B gets you $5 off most orders (except systems) of at least $40.  Can be used once per account unti the end of May.  Now get to writing!