Author Topic: Revolutionary Controller  (Read 48467 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Revolutionary Controller
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2005, 03:21:20 PM »
Prepaid game cards sounds like an awesome idea.  I mean, a counter-top rack of such an odd thing would attract attention at store.  Kids would find it cool, and parents would be like "Hey, I remember playing these games as a kid I think mine would love them oh hay let me buy MORE MORE MORE."

One thing concerns me though....There's going to be a TON of games up for download, but only a limited space to store them.  Now, I can't see myself buying enough games to fill up the internal memory and an SD card, especially since I'd be geting mostly NES and SNES games, but what if I had to delete a game to make room for another one?  I should be able to download that game again for free if I wanted to play it again.  I can't think of a non-crackable way to do this, but then again, I'm not Nintendo
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
I wish the Rev controller has a DS-sized touch screen so that I don't have to pause/interrupt the game every time I want to equip some new item or drink some potion, I want to do all that on the fly.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2005, 03:50:13 PM »
. "Right now, game consoles are important for the game fan, but for the rest of the family, it's just a piece of nuisance that's loud and eats up electricity... We want to create games for people who haven't played games but are curious about them."

what? honestly...most game systems arent in living rooms..their in individual bedrooms which also serve as multimedia centers for the gamer

http://theperm.tetrametrics.com/Images/GameRooms/Patsroom/
http://theperm.tetrametrics.com/Images/GameRooms/AlexOldRoom/
http://theperm.tetrametrics.com/Images/GameRooms/AlexsCats/
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grant10k

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Revolutionary Controller
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »

what? honestly...most game systems arent in living rooms..their in individual bedrooms which also serve as multimedia centers for the gamer

What? Source? I don't think that's true at all. Any family with say...two brothers who both play video games will rarly put a console in a bedroom, but Mom, Pop, And Sister still think it's another TV that becomes disabled for a few hours at a time.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »
My family loves the GC so much that I've got one in my room, but we've got another one in the living room.  Our Genesis and N64 were in our living room too.  Everybody I know keeps their consoles in the living room.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »
As far as the filling up your space issue, I do worry about that.  I also worry that breaking your SD card can cost you so much money.  I hope to god Nintendo puts these worries to rest and makes it so your Nintendo account remembers what games you bought.  That way you can erase one knowing you can redownload it for free.  That would be uber-nice.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2005, 05:40:20 PM »
screw SD cards, I want a harddrive so I can ultimately download as much as I want.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21:11 PM »
My GCN is in the living room (best TV) but all my older ones are in my room on the icky tv.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2005, 06:42:45 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
As far as the filling up your space issue, I do worry about that.  I also worry that breaking your SD card can cost you so much money.  I hope to god Nintendo puts these worries to rest and makes it so your Nintendo account remembers what games you bought.  That way you can erase one knowing you can redownload it for free.  That would be uber-nice.

But then how would Nintendo know the difference between erasing a game, and moving it your friends SD card so he can have it? I figure they will prevent copying, im just saying i doubt they'd give you unlimited amounts of downloads once you buy it.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »
They could do the same thing Apple does with iTunes and allow a certain number of copies.

OTOH, it wouldn't be too hard to give each system a unique identified and keep the ROMs from playing on a system other than the one it was purchased for. But that might be a bit too heavy handed for nintendo's taste.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2005, 12:15:27 AM »
Basically Nintendo is saying they are going to practicly give these old libraries away to get us to buy the REV to increase their console sales and generate new third party support for old and new engines.  It truly is the ipod of video games.  360 and PS3 will never have the number of games the REV will have the first day it launches.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2005, 05:40:47 AM »

Originally posted by: ib2kool4u912

Originally posted by: PaleZer0

But then how would Nintendo know the difference between erasing a game, and moving it your friends SD card so he can have it? I figure they will prevent copying, im just saying i doubt they'd give you unlimited amounts of downloads once you buy it.

By requiring a login to authenticate yourself before you play the games.

Or they could just make every download free...then there wouldn't be an issue.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2005, 07:19:32 AM »
i hope other developers allow us to download their retro games via the REvolution. That would essentially capture the tail end of the market: gamers that lost touch with this new tecnology can have a $200-$250  console that plays new games in simple yet dazzling ways along as allowing them to cheaply download the games they have loved for years. Nintendo's gonna get some tail
I'll shut up now...

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2005, 02:12:16 PM »
Back on topic....

Here's a controller layout that would, I think, allow you to play most games from the NES to the gamecube.

It has 6 face buttons (a button, b button, and c buttons), start button, thumb stick, c stick, and d-pad. 2 of the four c buttons double as the x and y buttons.
Not shown: 4 trigger buttons for your index and middle fingers.
Thoughts?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2005, 07:37:34 PM »
My best guess is that its gyroscopics since they invested heavily in a company that produces such devices.

My other guesses

its either a touch pad much like on the apple ipod, either covering a entire surface or just a small surface

A combination gyroscopic orb with touch sensitive cover. So you move the ball around and your hands over it tap it and such to operate the games.

Combination gyroscopic, eyetoy, microphone and such every possible control people knew about.

or a controller with fully customisable buttons that pop out depending on the game. Basically it utilises a number of pins much like on those toys I guess you can call em that can take the inprint of your hand or face or whatever you place in them. So these pins could potrude to the hight and dimensions the developer wants creating a whole new controller experiance.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2005, 08:00:42 PM »
Wandering: You and I are on the same page. We both want to see it break apart to allow for gyration, as well as keep every essential button along with both joysticks. It should also be egornomical.

It would become the perfect controller.  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2005, 01:03:46 PM »
"To walk forward, instead of using an analog stick (which we're all used to but non-gamers and newly acquired gamers have a hard time picking up) you just tilt the controller slightly away from you."

This only makes sense if you were controlling something that could roll.  Otherwise it's completely illogical.  Plus it would so impresise and awkward it's not even funny.  Ever play that labyrinth game where you have to tilt the board to get the ball to the exit without it falling in the holes?  You're suggesting THAT as the ideal control scheme.  It's not.  It's ridiculously awkward.  I've never met anyone who can beat that game and realistically you would have to to be able to amount to anything in a game where you have to tilt just to move.

I figure if you can't control games as they are you're either a complete idiot or you've just decided games aren't for you and don't feel like putting in the effort.  My Dad doesn't play games but he can drive a car and use a PC.  Both of those things require a knowledge of using abstract buttons and such so gaming is really no different.  If you can use a PC, drive a car, play the piano, use a fishing rod, use a microwave, use a camera etc. you can control videogames provided you put in a little effort and by that I mean like a few hours or so.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2005, 05:17:17 PM »
The only game that would really work with gyroscopes in the line of Super Monkey ball, Marbles and Mercury. I really believe that the revolutionary thing is a whole new type of force feedback.

EDIT: I think the only reason they invested in gyroscopics is because of the gyroscopic GBA carts.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2005, 12:13:10 AM »
"This only makes sense if you were controlling something that could roll. Otherwise it's completely illogical."

Yeah, and pushing an analog stick makes a WHOLE lot of sense to someone who hasn't played a game before.  If you think it does, then I retort that people are just as familiar with tilting as pushing buttons and levers: who hasn't poured something in their lifetime?  You sound unwilling to try a new interface, and rag on anyone unable to play games "as God meant it."  Seriously, you remind me of an old programmer uninterested in even considering working with O-O in spite of its success (granted, tilt technology is hardly standard right now).

If Nintendo is able to create a "lock" feedback mechanism for the center of gyration/tilting like they have for analog sticks, the problem is solved in my book.  I know I have trouble telling if I am pushing directly forward on an analog stick, so I hardly consider the analog stick to be the most precise input device possible.  I understand your concerns, especially over ridiculous arm motions, but tilting seems more intuitive to me for sublte camera control than flicking the C-stick and for F-Zero machine tilt than shoulder buttons.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2005, 07:35:24 AM »
"Yeah, and pushing an analog stick makes a WHOLE lot of sense to someone who hasn't played a game before."

It's a little joystick.  Joysticks have been in videogames forever.  Plus joysticks are used for machines and those crane games and stuff.  They're reasonably common in the real world.  Literally nothing aside from a few marble games use tilting for controls.  Plus with an analog stick if I want to stop moving I let go of the stick.  There's a clear frame of reference for not moving.  With any sort of motion control there is no obvious frame of reference.  How do I stop moving?  Do I level the controller back?  What if I overcompensate and tilt too much in the opposite direction?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2005, 09:19:33 AM »
So now you are arguing against innovation Ian?  Jesus man....

Nintendo should stick with the same exact controller....

Now please argue against that too.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2005, 09:31:20 AM »

Literally nothing aside from a few marble games use tilting for controls.
How about a flight simulator?  Such as Pilot Wings?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2005, 10:46:48 AM »
And Racing games...i would like Wave Race with some good tilting controls. Oeh and steatlh games too, not those metal gear or Splinter cell bullsh!t but some real Ninja-like stealth where you climb on everything and stuff, lockpicking with some good tilting controls! And think of all the new tilting puzzles they can add for platformers or a new Zelda.
And lets not forget...aiming in FPS'en by tilting... can it be more accurate and faster? In third person shooters you can have perfect dual gun aiming if you have those plit apart controllers.
"SOMETHING"

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2005, 01:16:25 PM »
Exactly as YoungPlumber put it -

The key to the usability of the gyroscopic motion control is the self-stabilization/clever use of variable resistance to movement.  If it just tilts, THEN it's like the game with the marble and the labyrinth.  But the resistance to movement makes it entirely different.  It basically stays all but directly upright, and senses when you apply a torque.  It would basically FEEL like a really nice joystick with force feedback, except you hold it in your hands, it can be used as a labyrinth-marble-style controller when desired (all the game has to do is lower the resistance to movement), and you have your hands on all the buttons of the normal controller, etc.

I don't guarantee that this sort of setup is even possible (although someone else on the boards may know) - I just argue that it would be an EXTREMELY intuitive and EXTREMELY accessable form of control, if you really picture it and give that mental image a chance.

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2005, 01:40:36 PM »
Gyroscopics could be used for many things if done right as others have mentioned flight sims, marble madness like game and racing games. Racing games you could use the controller as a steering wheel. Once thing i do agree on is that they wont compleatly illiminate the analogue stick in fps, adventure games and such. But they will allow for the same sort of use the cstick currently has for many games controlling tilking for the perception and characters abdomens. The only other option I could see for gyration is for a characters swing in a game like golf, fishing, tenis, zelda type sword swinging.