Author Topic: Nintendo sucks at marketing and PR  (Read 12194 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo sucks at marketing and PR
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 06:20:29 PM »
no when i watch tv...i wear a special helmet that prevents my eyes from closing..it hurts...but it lets me be omnipotent
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »
My friends still think Mario Kart 64 was the last Nintendo game released.

Offline bmfrosty

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo sucks at marketing and PR
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 07:26:16 PM »
I'd really like to see them drop batches of consoles on radio stations for giveaway.  I (and tons of other people) listen to the radio to and from work.  Give them away during the morning shows, one a day per market for one week, rotate between the top 5 stations in that market.  Each week during a 5 week period switch to a different station.

So:

5 weeks
5 stations
10 markets.

they'd have to give away 250 game/console bundles.

Run the promotion once a year for their biggest title of the year.

say 2002 with Super mario Sunshine and/or Metroid Prime
2003 with Wind Waker.
2004 Metroid Prime 2.
2005 with RE4
2006 Zelda and then Rev upon release.

Top 10 Markets:

(1) New York
(2) Los Angeles
(3) Chicago
(4) San Francisco
(5) Philadelphia
(6) Dallas-Fort Worth
(7) Detroit
(8) Boston
(9) Washington, DC
(10) Houston-Galveston

They'd probabally add Seattle-Tacoma for that home town love.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 04:51:40 PM »
nintendo teamed up with dr pepper to promote majora's mask...they need to team up with like some fast food resturaunt to promote revolution

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 07:58:26 AM »
They already teamed up with Wendy's (at least) once before--why not a second time?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 08:16:46 AM »
F#ck fast food. They need WALMART. As much as I hate the place, it really is popular. Everytime I go there, the parking-lot is packed.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 08:21:40 AM »
I thought Nintendo WAS teamed up with walmart.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 08:29:48 AM »
Wal-Mart AND McDonald's, in some fashion, anyhow.

Didn't they also team up with Tommy Hilfiger for the "hip" factor?  I don't remember if that was a while ago or for the Game Boy Micro.  It probably was a while back, and probably not that successful, but it seems like they're trying to make the Micro a fashion statement.

I don't watch wrestling but I hear Nintendo has a lot of ads during WWE matches.

I think Nintendo needs to team up with anybody they can, but hopefully someone more mainstream and cool.  I know Wal-Mart stores and McDonald's restaurants are everywhere but they're not "cool".  They're not entirely "uncool" but I think Nintendo needs to reach out more.  I don't know how but there must be something they could do differently.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »
No one's talked about Internet advertising - that's something that Nintendo has actually done pretty well at. I see quite a few Nintendo ads while surfing, and they should keep it up. That Shockwave DS thing was great - where on the whole site the letters D and S alternating were bigger and stood out, and if you clicked it it went to the DS site...
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 05:53:26 PM »
At the Mc DOnalds in Twin Falls Idaho they had a Game Cube set up and had a HUGE sign advertising all the LATEST NINTENOD GAMES INSIDE, but it only had Disney Skateboarding and Sonic Mega Collection and tehre were never any kids playing it.

I also remember they had a BE IN A NINTENDO GAME promotion with DR Pepper for the GC but I didnt follow that to see what came of it. When I watch G4 I see crap loads of Nintendo ads, especialy durring Cinematech and Filter. MTV and Sci-Fi channel seam to be the only chanels beside the ones with kids programing that I ever see Nintendo ads on anymore.  

What they shoudl do with teh rev though is have some kind of promotion with maybe M& Ms and say give away 500 revs and the thousands/hundreds of other pizes could be games or DLs of old games. That would help with their presence issue I think. Or team with Pepsi for similar kind of thing, yo know like collect points towards a Special Edition Rev with either Pepsi or MT DEW logo on it and some free DLs or something. Damn it why dont Nintendo hire me for thier marketing department I have ALL the good ideas!
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »
whoa your from twin falls? I used to live in Jerome...private message me...you're going on my buddy list  

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 02:51:30 AM »
I wish Nintendo would get to the point with their commercials.  The commercials I've seen spend more time trying to be funny and not selling the product.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 07:33:40 AM »
Nintendo needs to be more hardcore oldschool japanese like yamauchi vampire samurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 07:10:08 AM »
i just sawa new ups commercial, it pretty much illustrates my point. I can say one of the reasons gta SA sold so well is because hwne it came out there were like 1000 copies in my store alone.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 01:11:10 PM »
I was just ranting on this subject with my brother last night...again. And as more and more time passes and I start to really let it sink in just how different the Rev is going to be than it's competition, the more I realize that Nintendo are going to really need to spend a lot of dough showcasing the Rev to the public.

The problem though, is that tv ads for Rev games would be about as effective as VB ads on tv would have been. That is, not very. So here is my solution. Kiosks everywhere. I mean I'm not just talking the usual demo stations at Target, Best Buy and Wally World. I mean if I'm in JC Penny, I want to see a Rev kiosk. If I'm in Hastings, Rev kiosk. If I'm in freaking PayLess Shoe Store, I want to see a freaking Rev kiosk.

Really beat Joe Consumer over the head with it untill he has no choice but to submit and buy the damn thing Nintendo.

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »
RancidPlanet, what point would it be to have a kiosk somewhere that doesn't even sell the product your advertising?? It would make more sense to have a demo kiosk in every single store that sells games. Dept. Stores, game stores, media stores (FYE, Coconuts, etc.). Hell, even places like Penny's (which sells that stuff around Christmas time) and Sears (which has a game dept. to my surprise!)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 05:06:28 AM »
to beat them in the head HARD....HARD HARD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »
Sears has had a Game Department since the NES days.  IN fact until recently it always had units to play on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
to beat them in the head HARD....HARD HARD

Damn right.

McDonalds: I want to see a kiosk.

Herman's Wide World of Fishing Lures: Kiosk

Inside My Mailbox: Tiny little kiosk.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2006, 10:45:44 PM »
does your mom want to play with my wii?

i made this thread before the name was announced :P
but i'm all about the games, but I want everybody at noa except reggie like gone

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2006, 03:12:52 AM »
Reggie can grow in size and become a living NOA roaming the world just like Galactus.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2006, 05:36:10 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread yet but I like to do my initial weigh in.  Personally the shows I watch and everything I see more Nintendo ads then any other system.  I mean the ratio is like 4:1 thats Nintendo versus every other game company.  I'm starting to see KH2 commercials but for the last year or so I mostly only see Nintendo.  Now in Magazines its sort of reversed I see many many more adds for everyone else.  But the Magazines aren't geared for the people Nintendo are really trying to sway.

Oh and I hate the PSP Squirrels.

Edit:  I didn't realize how old this thread was.

I had something else to say but it eludes me now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
"But the Magazines aren't geared for the people Nintendo are really trying to sway."

I thought Nintendo wanted to sway everyone.

I think that since we are Nintendo fans our attention is caught more easily by Nintendo ads than somebody elses. I also saw like a million of MP2 ads and only one or two of halo 2, and we know how that turned out.

On key piece of marketing is the commercials but is not just that.

Edit:
oh Im also eager to see how Fils Aime handles the name, the guy is the best Ive seen in his job, but he built a reputation with "kicking ass and taking names" and overall bully-ish attitude, that conflicts with the name.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »
Yeah it is sort of odd that Reggie really hasn't been weighing in like I thought he would.  With this controversial of a name I was sure he was going to do some strong arming type act.