Author Topic: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Other Titles Getting eShop Releases  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Steel Diver

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Gamer Thoughts

Are some of these games old enough to be considered retro?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33029

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is one of many previously released retail titles coming to the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

In addition to Resident Evil, several other games are being brought to the digital service, including Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue (January 17),  Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (January 24), and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Q1). The Mercenaries is also set for a Q1 release.

Nintendo has been releasing previous retail releases on the eShop in the past few months, leading off with their own first party titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. 

I'm a staff writer here at good ol' Nintendo World Report, but I also have a Nintendo website at www.nintendogamerthoughts.com

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Other Titles Getting eShop Releases
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
To a certain extent I expect Third Partys to use eShop to give flagging games a second wind, but I hope this isn't a bad omen for retail games on eShop, whereby all the crap games are given priority. I mean, who would really even consider downloading Mercenaries if Revelations was up there for download?
Gouge away.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
And they'll all be released at twice the price retail copies go for.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »
With something like Ghost Recon, if they drop it to $20 on the eShop, I'm onboard. At $40, no fuckin' way. Same goes for the rest of them, though I probably wouldn't buy Finding Nemo regardless of the cost. Bit.trip Saga dropping to $15 when it hit the eShop gives me hope that at least the non-Nintendo old games will have appropriate prices.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Mercs 3D was a very fun game and is the type of game that you would play a few rounds every now and then. This and Ghost Recon are great games to have digitally. My only question is if you have a retail copy already, if your save file will transfer over or not.  Also, I want every fighter released on 3DS to have a digital version. I'd play SSFIV more if I had it right there on my home screen vs taking out whatever current game I'm playing and putting in for only a quick session.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »
The save file migration tool is supposed to be out in the next couple of months.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
I liked Ghost Recon, but am not sold on a digital version. The game doesn't have much replay value, although there are a good number of challenge missions to undertake. It just isn't something I can imagine going back to after a complete run through. Retail price is also very low already - often under $10 or $15 - so the only real selling point on digital is convenient access.

RE:Mercs might be a different story though. Decent replay value and a good design for a quick play sessions. Possibility of multiple save slots and the ability to clear out old saves whenever you want. Wouldn't want to pay full price... but if it's a budget title (like Bit.Trip was) then I could definitely bite on this one.

Totally agree that fighting games would be great candidates for digital release. Especially something like Street Fighter that takes advantage of system features like StreetPass.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
I really hope third parties realize that selling old, non-hit games at full price over a year later is a really terrible idea unless your name is Nintendo.

Also, I wonder if they'll fix the technical issues I remember Ghost Recon having at launch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
I really hope third parties realize that selling old, non-hit games at full price over a year later is a really terrible idea unless your name is Nintendo.

Agreed.

Hell, even if the game is Nintendo made, it's still a terrible idea (for the consumer at least). £40 for a non-migratable downloadable game with no easy way to retrieve it should the handset be lost or damaged and for which a physical version can be purchased on Amazon for £30? No thanks.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »
For consumers it's a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure the old Nintendo games sell well enough to be a good idea for Nintendo. I'd really like to see the sales numbers for something like Pilotwings Resort, just to get an idea of how well it's doing at that price. Nobody's paying $40 for Ghost Recon at this point, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
Street Fighter digitally would be nice to have because it is one you want to jump in occasionally and its nice looking and plays well but, it need to be $15 for me to consider getting it again or recommending someone buy it digitally.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
I've put over 40 hours into Street Fighter IV on 3DS, but I wonder how many people are still playing that game online. I imagine many of the serious fighting game players (if there were any to begin with) have moved on, and I know first hand that casual fighting game fans like myself have long since stopped playing that game.

I guess a digital release might give it a shot in the arm though.
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »
I've put over 40 hours into Street Fighter IV on 3DS, but I wonder how many people are still playing that game online.
I have 100+ hours over two years. Online is pretty populated as well.

It really helps that SF4 still has the best implementation of online of all fighters on 3ds, in that that you can start singleplayer campaign and set it to accept multiplayer requests while you're playing. On other fighting 3ds games i own (Tekken, DOA) you go to lobby and just wait staring on a screen.

Even these days, i won't be able to finish one round without at least one challenger to appear, even if you set restrictions such as control method, region and skill.

Such a brilliant game all around. The only problem is that they should have set timers restricting constant spamming of projectiles on touch mode, which is easily solved by setting control mode but still.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks