Author Topic: E3 2011 Nintendo Press Conference Thread  (Read 44008 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2011 Nintendo Press Conference Thread
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
It's way more than we got when the Wii was announced over a year prior to its release.

Quite true. But unless my memory is playing a really cruel trick on me, the Wii's announcement at E3 2005 consisted of a short speech and a holding up a hollow shell: we didn't even see the controller until later. By contrast, this took up about half the conference, while only briefly showing us one exclusive game more than we saw at Wii's unveiling.

Simply put, this system was not ready for the public, as literally emphasized by Reggie's repetitive "these aren't games, just concepts!" utterances.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
My opinion of the new console can change. I need to know what the specs are and I need to get a better idea of what sort of software support its going to have over the course of its life before my opinion on it will be more or less set in stone. Right now my opinion of it is based on the terrible after taste left by the Wii, and of course the crappy name which is bar none the absolute WORST console name in gaming history. I can't think of any console in any generation which had a more stupid idiotic name than "Wii-U".

So if that's what the official name of it is going to be then I should just arbitrarily assign it some unofficial name like "Nintendo Hercules" and call it that from now on. That's not the official name and people will be confused, but at least I won't feel like blowing my brains out every time I have to say it.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:58 PM »
As far as the conference goes. I was not disappointed with the Wuu reveal, but I was with the rest of the conference. I was expecting them to cover 4 systems.... not just 2, one of which isn't even available till middle of next year. That was a little disappointing. Wii seemed like a complete afterthought.

Also don't forget that the reason we didn't see much as far as games for Wuu is because Nintendo's new policy is to try not to show games more than 6 months away from release.

We still have SpaceWorld 2011 to look forward to.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
It's a name. Get over it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
Wuuuuuuu!!! /Rick Flair

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »
Anyone know the time of the round table meetings?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
^^This

Been trying to find out but no luck.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
I was also trying to figure out when the roundtables are but no luck. All I know is one is today and one is tomorrow.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
Woohoo!  <---- better name for the new console
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Wuhu?

They've already used that name.

Offline wick

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:31 PM »
Who knows? Maybe next E3 they'll come out and blow us all away, but I'm starting to think the WiiPad might be the first Nintendo console I won't be owning  :(

Yeah right, you and all the other doubters are going to get one look at Pikmin 3, Smash Bros, and Mario U and you will not be able to resist.

I see the Nintendo Defense Force is out in full swing, labeling people who are rightly critical of a terrible E3 presentation as "complainers", as if these aren't valid concerns.  ::)   The Wii U may at some point have something that makes it worthwhile to me, but right now it just strikes me as redundant to purchase when I already own the PS3 and 360.

Yeah, they're almost as bad as the people who are ready to write the thing off because Nintendo didn't show off an amazing lineup of software a year and a half before launch.

Really people, what we saw was disappointing in that we didn't get a lot of the things we expected to see because of rumors, but the hardware is a long way out, and we almost certainly have another E3 between now and the system's launch.

The near-total lack of Wii software is bad. I expected them to have more in the way of 3DS software, which is disappointing. But outside the name (which people are really overreacting to), I wouldn't call the Wii U presentation bad, just lacking in content compared to what we'd come to assume.

I'm not writing the thing off this far out from it's launch, I'm just stating the fact that I was completely underwhelmed by Nintendo's presentation as a whole this year and at the moment there is no reason for me to be exited over a console that doesn't look to offer anything really different from my Wii, 3DS and Xbox 360 combo.

Ok it has a big screen on the controller to wow people but honestly how many developers are going to take full advantage of it? About the same amount that took advantage of the motion controls of the Wii?

I really do hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling the Wii U will get PS3/360 ports with crappy tacked on touchscreen gimmicks until the next wave of Sony/Microsoft consoles are released and then the support dries up.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
As for the conference, I'm a little dissapointed, not in the system itself but moreso on the lack of info on 3ds and wii.  We got practically nothing mentioned for Wii when I was hoping for LS and Xeno.  With 3ds, we did get to find out more about the games they announced last year.  The only suprise was Luigi's Mansion 2.  Overall though, I was expecting the flood gates to open on 3ds software but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.  Thank god for the MASSIVE back catalog on games I've yet to play for the DS that I can still put into my 3ds.  There is Zelda coming next week though :)

Here's hoping for some more info in the next coming days for LS and Xeno coming to America.  Also, I NEED to know when the new Animal Crossing comes out and some more info on it.  The video they have up looks sweet even though I'm scared it could be more of the same. 

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
Edit: wrong thread
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:20:51 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
Miyamoto is onstage now

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
Now is when we get Wii & 3DS news.

Tomorrow must be all about Wuu.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »
I don't feel like watching this one, so be sure to post here if anything interesting is shown.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
10 3D trailers on the eShop

But we already knew that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
I just threw the IGN liveblog up on teh big screen while I read other stuff on the monitor.

the IGN makes a typing noise everytime they post something so I know when to look up.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 07, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
Retro is helping out on Mario Kart 3DS
making tracks or something....

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
I was super excited until "None of these are actual games... nor or they prototypes... they are just concepts of possible games" or whatever Reggie said before and after the demo reel.

But so much potential in this controller. I just hope everyone actually attempts to use if for something useful, fun and innovative.

I was too but I think he's just trying to avoid another Project Hammer.  If the concept is good we know Nintendo is going to make a game out of it so I think a lot of what we here about in the next few days will end up being full games or parts of full games.

New games and new experiences is why I like Nintendo so I thought the presentation was great.  It's the reason I passed on the GC until it was old yet picked of the Wii right away.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:20:46 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Pikmin Wuu
« Reply #271 on: June 07, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
Pikmin for Wuu in development!!!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »
I'll believe it, when there's a playable demo.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »
Ok it has a big screen on the controller to wow people but honestly how many developers are going to take full advantage of it?
What qualifies as taking full advantage of it?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
I'll believe it, when there's a playable demo.

Well, believe it. There's a thread in the Talkback forum about how Pikmin has been in development for years for the Wii, but it has been cancelled and diverted to the Wii-U instead.
is your sanity...