Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 456454 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1525 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
Roy should be a skin for Ike, besides even tho he is a assist I would like to see Magnus as a playable character.
Made you look ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
At first I was confused by the last couple posts, but now I'm totally convinced that Nintendo should patch the game so Roy Koopa is available as an alternate option for Ike.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1527 on: April 21, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
lol
Made you look ****.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 03, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj3a06C7A
Vote Dixie and ride the waves of hype!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 13, 2015, 06:04:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wsQkd6M5s

Well, GameXplain seems to have found some pretty concrete evidence that this is really a thing, unless somebody stepped up their game from ArtsyOmni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Jjz-V8jE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmo6rFJDFsA

EDIT: https://twitter.com/RandomTBush this guy has outed himself by revealing further info. apparantly he's a data miner or something, but... yeeeah, way to paint a bullseye on your forehead, buddy!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:06:23 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: June 13, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »
I've decided months ago that I will buy any and all Super Smash Bros. character and stage DLC.

Nintendo and Capcom have worked closely in recent years with Monster Hunter enjoying even greater success on Nintendo platforms. Still, with Street Fighter V currently a PS4 exclusive (verdict is out on inevitable Super and Ultra versions), it seems weird for Nintendo to advertise a game exclusive to a competing platform. Granted, we got Snake in Brawl and at the time, nearly four years had passed since Twin Snakes released. The difference is Sakurai did this as a favor to Kojima. I'm not a fighting game fan and I'm quite awful at them, but I still hope Nintendo and Capcom managed to come to an agreement to bring some iteration of Street Fighter V to a future Nintendo platform.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
Nintendo and Capcom have worked closely in recent years with Monster Hunter enjoying even greater success on Nintendo platforms. Still, with Street Fighter V currently a PS4 exclusive (verdict is out on inevitable Super and Ultra versions), it seems weird for Nintendo to advertise a game exclusive to a competing platform. Granted, we got Snake in Brawl and at the time, nearly four years had passed since Twin Snakes released. The difference is Sakurai did this as a favor to Kojima. I'm not a fighting game fan and I'm quite awful at them, but I still hope Nintendo and Capcom managed to come to an agreement to bring some iteration of Street Fighter V to a future Nintendo platform.

Well DLC characters in general are aimed more at the hardcore fans since not everyone who bought the original is going to be purchasing them.  The more hardcore fans would either be old enough to remember Ryu being a big deal to Nintendo during the SNES era, or just realize how big having Ryu in Smash Bros is even if his latest game isn't going to be on a Nintendo system.

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if why Ryu is DLC instead of being in the vanilla retail version since it's the fans that have to buy Ryu separately if they really want him vs him getting in for free with everyone else.  Plus this way any Nintendo fans who are mad Street Fighter V won't come to a Nintendo system can say, "**** you Capcom" and just not buy him.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 13, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
If Nintendo fans are mad Street Fighter V isn't coming Nintendo platforms, I don't think it's fair to be hold Capcom accountable. Nintendo could have paid Capcom for exclusivity like Sony did. Nintendo, additionally, didn't have to put Ryu in its own game. "**** you, Capcom" is completely misplaced blame. Street Fighter V doesn't get made if not for Sony. Nintendo (and Microsoft for that matter) could have stepped in. It's like when people were pissed when Bayonetta 2 was announced as Wii U exclusive. Nintendo was the only company willing to pick up the game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 13, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
Hey that's just the way some people are.  I already see quite a few post on the internet saying Ryu doesn't deserve to be in since he hasn't been on a Nintendo system in decades, conveniently forgetting the 3DS port of SFIV which actually sold over a million worldwide, which is more then any Mega Man game has done during that period, as well as the fact that Tatsunoko vs Capcom was a Wii exclusive last gen.  So while SFV isn't coming to a Nintendo platforms, Ryu does have a somewhat noticeable presence on recent Nintendo consoles.

Anyway, new remix of Ryu's SFII theme has been ripped and it's pretty awesome.

As well as a remix of Ken's SFII theme.

Oh and Ryu's ending images are just too good.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 13, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »
Holy shiz, dem remixes. I wish there was a remix of Guile's theme. It goes with everything.

I'm all for Ryu. There will always be Nintendo characters people want in, but I think Ryu absolutely deserves a roster spot judging by his place in Nintendo history and the impact of Street Fighter on SNES. Mega Man and Pac-Man are almost entirely based on nostalgia. Ryu does break the whole single third party character thing, but hey, maybe Sega and Namco get new characters.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 13, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
I am also all for Ryu. He is an iconic video game character with purpose to be in a fighting game. I'm very excited about him, and he will be a definite purchase.

Not Roy, though. Never cared for him in Melee or Project M, and I'm sure they'll be putting minimal effort into making him unique or improving the character. If course, I say that bow, but when my friends come to my place to hang out they're going to want a full roster.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 14, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
My body is ready after that video. Plus, holy crap that Game and Watch Amiibo is AMAZING!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1539 on: June 14, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Anybody having any eShop luck yet?

I've gotten to the actual eShop music twice now, but still nothing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 14, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm not going to bother trying to download this until later this week, maybe Tuesday.

I'm a bit disappointed there's no season pass-esquire pricing option.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 14, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
I managed to play the announcement video on the eShop, but no dice downloading anything. We could be here a while.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 14, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
FWIW I was able to download the DLC by accessing the eShop through the game. $15 total for Ryu + his stage, Roy, Lucas and the Kirby stage (just the Wii U versions).
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
I was able to purchase the DLC, but I can't download it or the general software update. When I try, I get an error saying it was getting no response from the server. And it's not my internet, because an internet test in the Settings confirmed that's working.

EDIT: OK, it took my Wii U around 10 minutes of continually checking Nintendo's servers, but it finally managed a successful download of the DLC and it's currently download the patch. Man, to think this is what Nintendo's servers look like on a console with probably less than 9 million active users. Just imagine what they'd look like if the Wii U was actually successful.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:21:05 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 14, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
The website has a handy resource for advanced Ryu moves. http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/ryu.html Been messing around in training now for an about an hour or so just mastering it all.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: June 14, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
I kind of like how Ryu plays, especially how you can chain his Down + B move into a Shoryuken Up + B for pretty good damage since the target is stunned & floating in the air. Lucas is just as boring an unnecessary as I remembered. It feels like they've changed Roy a bit from what I remembered, though: he feels a lot faster and seems to be more of a light fighter like Marth now.

As for the stages, none of them feel particularly interesting. The Miiverse stage is particularly boring, and it doesn't feel like Nintendo really gave a crap when they did Ryu's stage since there's no stage interaction and the arena is just 2 sets of floating platforms. Eh.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1546 on: June 14, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
Managed to buy and download during the rush, but only the Miiverse stage installed.

Went to a movie, and eventually got things up and running.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 14, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »
I was able to purchase the DLC, but I can't download it or the general software update. When I try, I get an error saying it was getting no response from the server. And it's not my internet, because an internet test in the Settings confirmed that's working.
So after all that bitching that the characters were boring, a waste, and how you didn't want them in the game, you bought them anyway. I'm not terribly surprised since you've done similar things numerous times in the past with other games. I guess I don't really get the point. Way to vote with your dollars.

it doesn't feel like Nintendo really gave a crap when they did Ryu's stage since there's no stage interaction and the arena is just 2 sets of floating platforms. Eh.
I'd argue the opposite as it's as true to the original stage as possible. If Ryu is going to be put in the game, Suzaku Castle is exactly the stage I'd expect. I don't know what kind of interaction you expected. There isn't a ton of stage interaction in the Street Fighter games, notably some background signs and boxes getting destroyed.

Anyway, some thoughts

I haven't tried Lucas yet. I expect him to be very close to his Brawl iteration. I chose Lucas as my CPU opponent when I played as Roy, who is awesome and significantly more awesome than he was in Melee (and Project M for that matter). He feels familiar since I play mostly as Lucina, but he's different enough that I'd like to get to know the ins and outs of his character. I tend to play Lucina on the ground really close which translates well for Roy though I try to take advantage of her length in the air which does not translate well for Roy. I like his Awakening DLC redesign.

I like Ryu. He's going to take some getting used to. I keep messing up his Street Fighter input moves because I press Special instead of Attack. I can see his extra Final Smash being a thing for all characters in the next Super Smash Bros.

It's nice to have Dreamland 64 back. I'm definitely looking forward to Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle whenever they're released. The Miiverse stage is just Battlefield, but you know, a free stage is a free stage. I played Roy vs. Marth on it and one of the background posts was "I have never played Fire Emblem =("

I suspect there will be three more DLC characters: the winner of the ballot, Wolf, and maybe another returning fighter. Mewtwo is considered separate then we got two returning fighters and a new one today. I hope Ice Climbers, but Snake would be my choice is Sakurai still can't get them to work.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 14, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
So after all that bitching that the characters were boring, a waste, and how you didn't want them in the game, you bought them anyway. I'm not terribly surprised since you've done similar things numerous times in the past with other games. I guess I don't really get the point. Way to vote with your dollars.

Nintendo's going to make whatever **** they want, regardless of what I do and I'm a completionist. Plus, my earlier reactions were more disappointment than dislike. When there are so many more interesting characters they could pick...we go these 3. Yeah, I'm not a fan of those 3 characters getting added since they're not interesting picks, but they're there so I got them. Didn't bother with the Mii skins, though.

Incidentally, having played a match with Ryu, I do like his particular play style. Reminds me of a mix of Little Mac & Mega Man.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:33:04 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 14, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »
Nintendo's going to make whatever **** they want, regardless of what I do and I'm a completionist. Yeah, I'm not a fan of those 3 characters getting added since they're not interesting picks, but they're there so I got them. Didn't bother with the Mii skins, though.
So you didn't get everything? That's... like the opposite of being a completionist.

In any case, I didn't get the Mii costumes either. I like that Miis are in the game, but I generally don't use them. Collectively, this is the most expensive game I've ever purchased (not even counting the 3DS version). I don't need to spend more money for things I won't use.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:38:35 PM by Adrock »