Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 456419 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1225 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
Holy crap that looks awesome.

Are we sure the character unlocks aren't random like they were in MK8?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: September 11, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
Yep, Bowser Jr indeed does have all the Koopalings as alternate customs and there voices change with each one as well.  They even get their own unique portraits.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 11, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »
It's so weird that Sakurai totally gets it in this regard yet Dr. Mario is a separate selectable character from Mario. Dr. Mario is just Mario masquerading as a licensed physician and illegally practicing medicine. I guess that's what makes him dangerous.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
It's so weird that Sakurai totally gets it in this regard yet Dr. Mario is a separate selectable character from Mario. Dr. Mario is just Mario masquerading as a licensed physician and illegally practicing medicine. I guess that's what makes him dangerous.

Why do you assume he's not licensed? Everybody's gotta have a fallback career, and with all those coins he's collected over the years he could definitely afford medical school.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: September 11, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »

It is the weirdest choice. The only thing I can think of for it is that a character just wasn't working and got cut and this was the fastest last minute replacement they could do. I wouldn't even mind it if they would at least change Mario's move set. Mario with FLUDD is the perfect fit for Smash Bros. The B button would spray a stream of water for damage like B for Bowser's fire breath. Up + B would be the rocket nozzle to launch him upwards for recovery and attack. Like Fox's rocket launch. Left/Right + B would be the Turbo nozzle were he would make a quick dash. Again, this is a bit like Fox's left/right special. Down + B would be a classic Mario Ground Pound. Like Bowser and his butt stomp. Then if you wanted to give Dr. Mario the classic Brawl move set, it wouldn't seem so redundant. However, there is Link and Toon Link and they are both pretty much the same so it isn't like this is unprecedented. It's just a shame that more isn't done with a character if they are going to use him twice and he has a wide variety of moves to choose from.

However, alts could be a great solution in the future. With Pokémon, maybe you could have more alts for a character. Mewtwo could be an alt for Lucario. Moltress or Ho-Oh could be alts for Charizard. This way, the roster can be expanded without having to make a ton of character slots.

Also, looking at Duck Hunt Dog in action on Youtube, he's sort of like Banjo and Kazooie with the duck flying and carrying him around. It's pretty cool.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1231 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Pretty sure Dr. Mario is Mario's cousin: Samuel Mario. They just look strikingly similar. While Mario Mario went pursued a plumbing career with his brother, Luigi Mario, Samuel decided to try med school.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Doen't Rayman have to be one of the playable fighters?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 11, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
If Wolf isn't in the final version then I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are Sakurai's revenge to all the haters.  For 6 years people said Wolf was a worthless clone who could easily be replaced as a custome for Fox, despite the fact Wolf had completely different Attacks, Throws and even most of his specials worked quite differently then Fox compared to Falco.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai was like, "I put all this work into Wolf but because he shares a few attacks with Fox you people act like he's no more then a palette swap."  Fine I'll remove him you ungrateful assholes and in his place, I'll put in Dr. Mario who's just Mario in a different custom, and Dark Pit, a character that literally is a palette swap, and give both there own slots."

So if Wolf and Lucas aren't in the final version, even as DLC, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were Sakurai way to remind everyone who complained about Wolf and Lucas what real clones look like again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »

Doen't Rayman have to be one of the playable fighters?

Maybe Rayman's one of Pac-Man's alts.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 11, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »
Why do you assume he's not licensed? Everybody's gotta have a fallback career, and with all those coins he's collected over the years he could definitely afford medical school.
He spends plenty of time rescuing princesses, playing sports, and riding dirty to have time to attend medical school. Even if he did, he prescribed way too many pills to be an effective doctor. It's as if he isn't even trying.

There's also that theory that Mario buys immortality at the cost of 100 collected coins, which quite frankly is a steal to live forever. We never really see him bank those coins. He still lives in a shack with his brother as a roommate.
It is the weirdest choice. The only thing I can think of for it is that a character just wasn't working and got cut and this was the fastest last minute replacement they could do.
That makes sense and probably what happened. However, they could have cloned Mario and given us Toad. Mario and Dr. Mario are the same character. Dark Pit, for example, is a literal clone of Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising. He could and should have been an alt, but at least he's an actual separate character. Even Link and Toon Link are technically separate. They're different Links. The priorities are all over the place. It's so strange. Personally, I would have rather seen the time spent rebalancing say, Dark Pit used to give Toon Link some different moves. Make him closer to Luigi than Dr. Mario, some similar attacks and movements, but they're ultimately very different.

Additionally, the inclusion of custom movesets makes the existence of clones all the more baffling.
So if Wolf and Lucas aren't in the final version, even as DLC, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were Sakurai way to remind everyone who complained about Wolf and Lucas what real clones look like again.
That sounds extremely petty. Make the game worse because people on the Internet are weird? Fine, I guess. Sakurai is the same person who pouted about people watching the Subspace Emissary cutscenes on youtube so I suppose this is possible.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:22:59 PM by Adrock »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 11, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
And it looks like it's all over, final roster, same as the leak, and a message in Japanese that allegedly confirms that the full All Star mode is unlocked:

Now it is time for rest and healing.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
I still think there are some people that are unlocked via having both versions. DLC maybe another option.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 11, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
I'm in that camp too. Maybe it's just wishful thinking though.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 11, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
Looking at the Character Select Screen.  I think Khush is right. I think that Dr.Mario and Dark Pit are replacements for a character they just couldn't get to work in time.  Possibly Ice Climbers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
Haha, alllllright, I've wasted way too much time checking the NeoGAF thread since the ESRB leak up to the retail roster confirmation today, and I promise to stop feeding the beast on NWR from here on out. But I'll retire with this this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129524882#post129524882

Guy who claims to be game journalist who has leaked stuff before about other games says:

**** it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
The system link makes sense and I actually like it that way. But I'll believe it when I see it, grain of salt, etc, etc. GO RIDLEY!
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 11, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
Haha, alllllright, I've wasted way too much time checking the NeoGAF thread since the ESRB leak up to the retail roster confirmation today, and I promise to stop feeding the beast on NWR from here on out. But I'll retire with this this:
No, no, please continue. It's much appreciated.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 11, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
Do no play with Caterkiller's feelings like that.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 11, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
There is that WiiU icon that nobody has explained on the title screen....?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: September 11, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Well, I doubt it's a one time use thing. I figured it was for transferring the custom movesets, Miis, and Amiibo details if one doesn't have the 3DS peripheral.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: September 11, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
He spends plenty of time rescuing princesses, playing sports, and riding dirty to have time to attend medical school. Even if he did, he prescribed way too many pills to be an effective doctor. It's as if he isn't even trying.

There's also that theory that Mario buys immortality at the cost of 100 collected coins, which quite frankly is a steal to live forever. We never really see him bank those coins. He still lives in a shack with his brother as a roommate.

If he really is using those coins to be immortal then I don't know how you could say he never had the time. If that's the case, who knows how old he is? Couldn't he conceivably be hundreds, if not thousands, of years old, which would have given him all kinds of time for medical school, even if he just chipped away a little bit at a time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 11, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
If he's using the coins for immortality, he isn't using them to pay for medical school. As soon as he can, he's cashing in his savings to cheat death just a little longer.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3D
« Reply #1248 on: September 11, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
But he's got like 80 different jobs apart from saving princesses, so you've gotta figure he could scrape together the cash.

J.P. Corbran

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 11, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
Why is the Mii fighter only on the selection screen sometimes?