Author Topic: Suggestions for arena shooters?  (Read 8195 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Suggestions for arena shooters?
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:45:55 AM »
I'm getting Unreal Tournament for PS2 and UTIII for PS3, and my favorite FPS is Perfect Dark.
Looking for other suggestions.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for arena shooters?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:58:54 AM »
FPS on a console?..

Don't want to sound like a prick, but something like Unreal was designed with mouse and keyboard controls first and i can't even imagine how awful and slow it is with dual analog controls.

Having said that, i know that UTIII on PS3 supports USB keyboard and mouse, so please check it out if you can... Unfortunately that doesn't fix that UTIII is a bad Unreal game (bought it FULL price way back, was so disappointed)...

UT99 and UT2004 were a blast. Both run on toasters nowadays, i highly recommend to check out free demo of either UT2004 or even UT2003 to see how it was meant to be played.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:25:38 AM »
If you haven't played them, the TimeSplitters games were made by a lot of the same people as Perfect Dark, and it really shows. There are three of them, on PS2/Xbox/GameCube.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »
If you haven't played them, the TimeSplitters games were made by a lot of the same people as Perfect Dark, and it really shows. There are three of them, on PS2/Xbox/GameCube.

And you can easily skip the first one in favor of 2 & 3 (1 was not on the GameCube). Timesplitters 3 is a fantastic game, with a hilarious campaign and good multiplayer.

Honestly, I'm having a great deal of trouble thinking of a good "arena shooter" from the last generation. Multiplayer shooters really moved away from that style of play.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:27:36 AM »
Also, Quake Live is on Steam now (before that, you had to use some kind of plugin and run it in a browser window).

They've made some changes to make it closer to console shooters -- but it is still the same good ol' Quake 3 Arena, and completely free!

Genre of twitch shooters hasn't really advanced past that and UT99.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »

And you can easily skip the first one in favor of 2 & 3 (1 was not on the GameCube). Timesplitters 3 is a fantastic game, with a hilarious campaign and good multiplayer.

Honestly, I'm having a great deal of trouble thinking of a good "arena shooter" from the last generation. Multiplayer shooters really moved away from that style of play.

Started TimeSplitters 2, and it's highly reminiscent of Perfect Dark. Couldn't beat the first mission on normal, so I had to play on easy. The only checkpoint in normal was less than halfway through the level. Meant I replayed the same part of the level a lot.

EDIT: I should say that it's obviously not surprising it's similar to PD since it's remnants of the same team. I'm liking the gunplay. I'm playing the GameCube version. I have Future Perfect, but it's on PS2 and I don't know if that works.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:18:53 AM by Phil »

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
The thing I really like about Timesplitters 2 is that the game opens up new areas of each level as you raise the difficulty, and you get new mission objectives in those areas. This leads to the campaign actually getting better and more interesting the more difficult you're willing to go. Considering GoldenEye and Perfect Dark did the same thing and this is from the same guys, that shouldn't surprise you. Unfortunately, Future Perfect drops that entirely, so higher difficulty just makes the gunplay harder.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
Quake Live is in your web browser too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »
Urban Terror is an old favorite of mine. Black on the PS2 or Xbox if you are looking for a console shooter.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »
Never heard of Urban Terror. Will look that up.
How did you find Black to be, ShyGuy?

I was able to beat the first mission of TimeSplitters 2 on Normal. Had more health at the checkpoint, so it was easier. Still, there should have been a second checkpoint somewhere in there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »
I should take notes from this topic myself as I like these kinds of games too.

Yeah the single player in TimeSplitters 2 could be a real pain, some levels are just too large and probably should have been broken up more.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
If my 360 didn't get the infamous red ring of death, I'd probably still be playing Perfect Dark Zero. While the overall game did not live up to the hype, the multiplayer is still one of the funnest I've played with HUGE maps that could be made smaller or larger depending on the amount of players/bots, as well as vehicles like a hovercraft and jet pack!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
Yeah, I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Perfect Dark Zero the few times I played it. Probably not as good as the original or TimeSplitters, but I think I liked its multiplayer more than any other FPS in that span.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 01:06:26 AM »
Never heard of Urban Terror. Will look that up.
How did you find Black to be, ShyGuy?

I enjoyed it as a single player shooter, the guns felt really good. It can be very meticulous in progressing through the level, and not to everyone's taste.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
I'll definitely read some reviews to get a general idea. Thanks ShyGuy!

I've been playing my copy of Unreal Tournament that came in the mail yesterday, and I'm really digging it. I'm able to put up a fight against the Inhuman AI, which is really fun.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
But halo,
so moving...
Hands down best music in a game ever!

oops, IN AMERICA!
Made you look ****.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
Unreal, Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein on PC are all excellent arena games (Maybe not so much Quake. I personally never got into it)
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09