Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 227008 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #975 on: January 24, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
Apparently, the show mellowed out quite a bit once Marcus Beer (who had been very critical of the Wii on the show) left to go join a developer back in December.

Ever feel like some dudes are trying out for PR jobs at developers instead of actual reporting?  If their whole purpose for being a games journalist is to audition to be a spin doctor for a major publisher, that doesn't leave much room for impartiality, does it?

Just to add some clarity, Marcus Beer was a PR guy for some company before he became a regular on Invisible Walls. I forgot which company. Vivendi, I think? Whoever published the first FEAR game. So, it's natural for Marcus to go back to the kind of job he had before with a company he believes in.

What was surprising in that show, though, was hearing Shane Satterfield taking 3rd parties to task on their Wii support considering he's a pretty die-hard Sony supporter.

Sure that wasn't a joke? :p
Well, on one Invisible Walls, he said something about liking all kinds of games. Then again, one Bonus Round has him saying the Wii these past two or so years had nothing for him.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:53 AM »
Invisible Walls ends in the middle of the Mass Effect 2 part for me, just shows the "what other videos are there" stuff.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 24, 2010, 03:19:08 AM »
In other news. Crispy Gamer is fried. They were neither pathetic or outstanding IMO. Just ok, if not a bit on the generic side with nothing new to really offer an internet already stuffed with gaming news. Which in the end, may have lead to their early demise. Or it may have just been their logo. What the hell was that thing?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 24, 2010, 03:43:31 AM »
Invisible Walls ends in the middle of the Mass Effect 2 part for me, just shows the "what other videos are there" stuff.

The gametrailers site can be glitchy, and you may have caught it in the middle of a server update or something.  I usually just download Invisible Walls and watch it off my desktop rather than watch it streamed off the site.  Just try back later.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #979 on: January 24, 2010, 04:55:53 AM »
In other news. Crispy Gamer is fried. They were neither pathetic or outstanding IMO. Just ok, if not a bit on the generic side with nothing new to really offer an internet already stuffed with gaming news. Which in the end, may have lead to their early demise. Or it may have just been their logo. What the hell was that thing?

What are you talking about?
I just went to their site a few mins ago.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 24, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »

What are you talking about?
I just went to their site a few mins ago.

http://www.destructoid.com/crispy-gamer-editorial-staff-fired-ceo-quits-in-disgust-161253.phtml

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 24, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
Some of the pictures they have with their disaster articles are quite hilarious.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #982 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
http://www.kcra.com/technology/22346017/detail.html

Here's a more "mainstream" AP tech article covering Apple's new iBLAWK LAP-Screen Super BookTV.

The author's speculation on Apple's "position" in the "gaming" "market" makes the article sound more like a press release or advertisement.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

Here's a more "mainstream" AP tech article covering Apple's new iBLAWK LAP-Screen Super BookTV.

The author's speculation on Apple's "position" in the "gaming" "market" makes the article sound more like a press release or advertisement.

A quote from that article that just jumps out at me:

Apple's iPhone and the similar iPod Touch brought a new look to games because they have an accelerometer inside that lets people control theaction by turning or tilting the device.

That sounds familiar somehow, like maybe Apple wasn't the first company to do this.  No, that can't be right...

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 27, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
I always liked Crispy Gamer.  Sad to see them go, but admittedly, I didn't spend much time on their site except to read Games for Lunch by Kyle Orland which was an excellent column.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #985 on: January 27, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »

A quote from that article that just jumps out at me:

Apple's iPhone and the similar iPod Touch brought a new look to games because they have an accelerometer inside that lets people control theaction by turning or tilting the device.

That sounds familiar somehow, like maybe Apple wasn't the first company to do this.  No, that can't be right...

For those left with a sour taste in their ass after reading the AP article, here's a more focused take on the news with a competely different but more minty-freshing attitude.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1589102/apple-ipad-finally-revealed
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 28, 2010, 04:43:30 AM »

Except for some toy apps that make gun sounds when you make gun motions the accelerometers aren't used for more than tilting because you have to keep your eyes on the screen and even then it's usually a workaround for the lack of a d-pad or a-stick.

Pachter claims the iPad will compete with the DS. I wanna see what pockets he wants to fit the iPad into because the DS is a freaking portable.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:07 AM »
Pachter is an idiot, though. I've long maintained that we don't have to be worried about the future of the Wii until he starts saying positive things about it. As for the iPad, I can't wait to try playing Flight Control with two hands and Crayon Physics should be awesome on it, but things that use on-screen d-pad and buttons will be pretty much unplayable on the thing and it'll probably be a bit unwieldy to try and manipulate the whole thing for accelerometer games. The games that work best on it will be the ones built from the ground up for it (gee, where have I heard that before?) I'm not buying it for the games, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »
http://www.gamecritics.com/matthew-kaplan/know-thy-console

Oh boy, there are so many things wrong with this article I don't even know where to begin with this quasi-review (it's actually a blog entry) for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on gamecritics.com.  Well, there's plenty of flesh for you guys to rip off this one, so I'll leave you to it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
Yeah, can only roll my eyes in response.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »
So now any good Wii game is a pile of waste for simply existing on the Wii?  Strange world.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
I made a comment, which is by the typical "I hate Wii because I can" dipshit.

I wonder what comments I will get. :D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
I made a comment, which is by the typical "I hate Wii because I can" dip****.

I wonder what comments I will get. :D

It looks like your comment was removed.  Maybe it was considered offensive?  I noticed you didn't bother to elaborate on anything.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 03, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
Hilarious.

I said in the comments that when you need internet hits, you troll the Wii. And why would I bother to elaborate on THAT article when it speaks for itself in terms of ****?

I have better ways to waste my time. I'm doing that right now just posting and thinking about the crap sack of an article.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »
if it wasn't for the fact that we'd give them hits (which is what they want), I'd suggest going on and just re-post what Peaches said.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
Remember folks, when your game media site needs internet hits, troll the Wii and troll Nintendo. The hits will start pouring in!
Here's the second attempt I'd made.

Let's see what happens to it.  :D

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a great game. Too bad it's on the Wii.
I stopped reading there.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:53 PM »
Remember folks, when your game media site needs internet hits, troll the Wii and troll Nintendo. The hits will start pouring in!
Here's the second attempt I'd made.

Let's see what happens to it.  :D

It's gone again.  I don't think they're going to tolerate being called trolls shilling out controversial articles for hits.

The thing is, there are aspects of this article I agree with.  I do think that a game that features characters this niche could probably stand to be a multiplatform title just to try to get as much profit as possible.  I also think the Wii is not an ideal platform for online play.  That said, there's no reason the Wii can't have a good online fighting game, and no reason it shouldn't have a good exclusive.  I just can't stand the absolutes in this article.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:58:53 PM by broodwars »

Offline silvering

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 04, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »
Nice thread! I am very agree with you!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 04, 2010, 03:21:46 AM »
I honestly don't think the platform matters when it comes to online games.