Author Topic: Must-read article: DS turns Nintendo haters 180 degrees!  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Must-read article: DS turns Nintendo haters 180 degrees!
« on: February 10, 2005, 07:55:26 PM »
Yes, the headline of my topic is, apparently, no overstatement.

Nintendo´s new baby is doing what it was meant to do - not just turning heads, but converting die-hard Sony and Microsoft fans back to the Nintendo fold.

In simple terms, the simplicity of the gameplay in DS games makes people who were shown the DS (in this example at a local school) instantly interested, and so much in fact that they won´t easily hand over the DS to the next in line, after their alotted play-sessions. Amazed, delighted, happy and addicted is what they all are, and I think that that is just how it is in many places these days where the DS is shown to people. At least a lot of the people who got to play the DS in this outstanding example, decided to buy it for themselves! Nintendo hit the BullsEye!!! Read about it

right here

About time I got a DS myself. It´s not out here yet, though. So I´ll have to wait (frowns)!!!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Must-read article: DS turns Nintendo haters 180 degrees!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
Oh, I know all about this.  My mother and sister, who have never been avid gamers, adore the DS.  My mother wants to buy one for herself, something I never thought she'd do.  My friends love it, I love it, EVERYONE LOVES IT.  It's crazy-awesome, I really hope DS does extremely well.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
My mother likes mine. She hadn't played a game since Mario World and SMB which she used to play on her lunch break.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
just wait till Philadelphia's WiFi goes city wide ... DS gamers are going to be so lucky/ the incentive to buy a DS will shoot up like a hero
in fiend
I'll shut up now...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Must-read article: DS turns Nintendo haters 180 degrees!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 12:02:46 PM »
Thats the only reason I haven't bought one(DS) yet, I'm waiting for some wireless internet games on the DS.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:53:20 PM »
And yet people like EGM and IGN and Joystiq still have the audacity to call it the next Virtual Boy.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 11:50:44 PM »
Well that's a pleasant suprise, though I cant see that ever happening in my school, EVER.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 03:27:19 AM »
Yesterday before school I was pictochatting with 4 people and after school in a Anime club i was pictochatting with 10 people so yeah the DS is getting popular here.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 04:38:14 AM »

And yet people like EGM and IGN and Joystiq still have the audacity to call it the next Virtual Boy

The guys at IGN and EGM lack Imagination, all they know is more power better graphics and the such, which is why they love the PSP.

Nintendo thinks more in terms of creating new experiences and possibilities.

Like all really creative people in history they get scorned by those who lack the imagination.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 12:13:31 PM »
Who cares.

I only care about freaking online Mario Kart.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »
Why do you only care about a online mario kart? Are so narrowminded that your whole system purchase revolves arround one game and if it has online or not?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 01:31:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi

And yet people like EGM and IGN and Joystiq still have the audacity to call it the next Virtual Boy

The guys at IGN and EGM lack Imagination, all they know is more power better graphics and the such, which is why they love the PSP.

Like all really creative people in history they get scorned by those who lack the imagination.

Too bad 95% of the consumer public agree with IGN and EGM, eh?

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 02:26:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi

Too bad 95% of the consumer public agree with IGN and EGM, eh?

?

Well, you don't know that, now do you?  
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 03:55:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Why do you only care about a online mario kart? Are so narrowminded that your whole system purchase revolves arround one game and if it has online or not?

No I'm making a point. Nintendo should focus on making online multiplayer standard and revolution games with new forms of online multiplayer using the DS's features, instead of trying to convince Nintendo fanboys that DS owns because Nintendo has captured the attention of your mom and sister who have found a new toy to play on weekends.

At the expense of your brother and father now playing a PSP.

I mean, great Nintendo DS attracts non-gamers. So does Game Boy Advance. Everyone has one. Those people aren't that important. The core demographic - 13 - 30 year old males - is being ignored (ok not ignored, but they aren't being focused on) and it's going to regret it.

Nintendo is just being it's usual stubborn self, trying to act smarter and wiser than it is, trying to fix something that's no broken. And you know what happens when you try to fix something that's not broken. You break it.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 05:10:27 PM »
Gamefreak is right. Nintendo should listen to his advice because he's omniscient. Not only that, but his every whim should be their command.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 06:00:30 PM »
I bet gamefreak doesnt care that Sony might charge a Wi-Fi fee .

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 06:40:42 PM »
You know, I don´t care a flying bit about what these websites are saying. They will be proven wrong!

Just look at the response from people who never played games!!! You´d NEVER see that kind of response with the PSP! That much is sure.
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
"At the expense of your brother and father now playing a PSP."

My father loves the DS, too.  He got the Bob-ombs Away highscore in Mario 64 DS.  In fact, everyone I've showed the DS to loves it, every friend and family member.  Whereas none of them either know about or care about the PSP.  And my mother is considering buying one, which means as much, sales-wise, as a "hardcore gamer" buying one.

Mario Kart DS online would be awesome, yes, but Mario Kart isn't all there is to life, y'know.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 04:42:15 AM »
I believe that when PSP comes out, some of this will change.  I really do think a lot of the semi-hardcore gamers are going to go for that machine.  But it does look like DS is impressing a new gaming audience, which is one of the things Nintendo was going for.  I've always thought Nintendo had the potential to pull brand-new customers into the market, and if it succeeded that could really turn things around.  I think there's an untapped market of relatively "hype-proof" customers out there: older people and girls who aren't as interested in violence and looking cool.  The problem is that nobody has given them enough motivation to buy a game system.  I think even Sony's supposed widening of the market with the PSX relied very heavily on adult males who used to play video games in their youth.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 07:40:21 AM »
Well, the DS should also pull in the disgruntled gamers who got bored of playing the same crap over and over agian with different names wrapped around it.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »
KDR_11k, that was beautifull!

That is EXACTLY why Nintendo made the DS!

And the PSP will get it´s day in hell, when the number of DS owners grow to such numbers that there will be one DS for every PSP. Then people will instantly see the contrast between the two worlds of gameplay, and when tiring of the ubiquitous gameplaymechanics in ALL the PSP games, want to try the DS. Just like people described in that editorial did!

Nintendo is the best!

There is just nothing that Sony can do about that. By the way, do you know that Sony stole the WipeOut gameidea from Nintendo´s F-Zero? They did! Wait till F-Zero comes out on the DS! RRRRR-ROCK!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 11:41:34 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Well, the DS should also pull in the disgruntled gamers who got bored of playing the same crap over and over agian with different names wrapped around it.

It's not like the DS is doing anything new.  Mario Kart?  Animal Crossing?  Castlevania?  Advance Wars?  Wario Ware?  Yoshi?  Rayman?  Pokemon?  Sonic?  Zelda?  They've all been done before but they're all the most anticipated games for the DS.  So don't go slamming the PSP because they're rehashing "the same crap over and over again".  EVERYBODY does that.

Gamebasher, that's possibly the best Nintendo fanboy posting I've ever seen.  Kudos.  ;-D

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 12:04:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Silks

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

It's not like the DS is doing anything new.  Mario Kart?  Animal Crossing?  Castlevania?  Advance Wars?  Wario Ware?  Yoshi?  Rayman?  Pokemon?  Sonic?  Zelda?  They've all been done before but they're all the most anticipated games for the DS.  So don't go slamming the PSP because they're rehashing "the same crap over and over again".  EVERYBODY does that.

Gamebasher, that's possibly the best Nintendo fanboy posting I've ever seen.  Kudos.  ;-D

silks

Rehashes or not, Nintendo needs to release SOMETHING. I spent $250 on a bundle pack that I didn't really need just so I could play Mario 64 again. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast collecting all 150 stars and all, but now I'd like another game. Last month... only one game was released- an overpriced Bejeweled clone... and all the titles that I'm looking forward to (rehashes or not) keep getting pushed back further and further...

I think Nintendo released the DS a few months too early. Sure, it was a good idea to create a userbase to contend with the PSP's launch, but I think putting Nintendo users through another gaming dryspell is a really bad move- especially when it's only a couple month's after the system's launch.  Sure, I could just keep buying GBA games to tide me over, but that's what my GBA, GBA SP, and GBPlayer are for. I didn't spend 200 plus dollars to play my GBA games on a 4th screen...
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 12:05:50 PM »
"They've all been done before but they're all the most anticipated games for the DS."

They may have been done before, but not with two screens and not with a touch screen. It makes a difference.

Why are you conveniently ignoring games like Feel the Magic and Metroid Hunters? How has Yoshi been done before? How can you pass judgement on the rest of the games, considering we know next to nothing about what their DS versions will offer?

I agree with Segali though, I'm still waiting for those games to come out.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »
Another Code is my most anticpated DS game at the moment...Where is that on the list?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~