Author Topic: Left handed!  (Read 6952 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Left handed!
« on: September 25, 2004, 12:48:59 PM »
Yes! Im left handed ^_^, and so the use of the stylus is a radical factor for me. Reading through the great ideas some of you have about the use of the touchscreen I found one about drawing the element in front of Kirby in a sidescroller game, I thought "cool" and then I pictured myself trying to do it... O_o omg I cant! sidescrollers using the touchscreen would suck for me, since my hand will be covering the character, unless the game developer decides to make it scroll from right to left... that would be kind of unconfortable too O_o! I cant believe I didnt thought about the left handed issue until now!

has Nintendo said anything about how much left-handed compatible the DS will be? I think that having the option of switching the Dpad and the four buttons would be the best solution, but thats up to the developer... or could Nintendo include a way to change it manually for every single game? they should! Im starting to think I wont be able to enjoy the DS T_T

P.S. sorry for the bad english
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Left handed!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 12:55:24 PM »
I think we've talked about this before, but the Metroid demo at E3 could be played using the face buttons as directional controls, so at least one game is friendly to left-handed people.  As long as developers keep left-handed folks in mind, there's nothing to worry about, but I can see it as a major headache for the games that overlook it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Cube_King

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Left handed!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 09:59:15 PM »
What Nintendo could do is enable the DS to be played upside down with the images being displayed upside down and all the buttons and stuff working in reverse. Then you could control the D-pad with the right hand and use the stylus with your left. After all, the button layout are in a rhombus pattern so it wouldn't matter if you held it upside down. This would be a cost effective solution but I really highly doubt Nintendo would do such a thing.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 05:25:48 AM »
That would be tricky with the balance. The center of mass would be below your hands. I'm not sure how comfortable that'd be to hold.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 06:53:44 AM »
Also, it would be really hard to hit the L and R buttons.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 07:15:40 AM »
The top screen is also thinner and most likely not built to withstand handling from that angle... :\
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »
all DS games will probably have the D-pad and face buttons either the same functions or switchable.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 06:03:11 PM »

Originally posted by: thepoga
all DS games will probably have the D-pad and face buttons either the same functions or switchable.

I really, really hope so, otherwise I might just kill myself j/k! I can see this coming from Nintendo, but other developers?... I hope they dont forget us >_<!

even with the new configuration, it would be hard to use directional buttons with the right hand, since Ive always use them with the left, but hey! you right handed people have always used the arrow buttons with your left hand, so that might not be hard ^_^
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 11:05:55 PM »
mantidor: think C-stick   If you can maneuver that, you should have no problems with directional controls on the other side.  It's the precise wrist movements needed to use the stylus that are going to make the difference.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 07:37:01 AM »
I'm left handed also. You will find that almost everything is made for right handed people. I just learned to use my right for some things and learned to write in strange positions with my left, so I think I'm somewhat set.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
it is possible (not easy) to do things with the wrong hand.  I normally am right handed, but I was a lefty for a month when I broke my wrist skiing.  I do feel bad for you lefties if it turns out that some games dont consider you.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »
Its not just games almost everything is designed around right handed people. (I do understand because they are the biggest percentage of the population, I guess my superior intellect is the only thing to comfort me. )
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »
I too am left handed.  I feel the fear.

The system is going to have to have completely programable controls because one they cannot force us to use the stylus and two they cannot force left handed people to use the stylus if they so chose to right handed.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 04:23:15 PM »
I dont get you, games have to use the stylus! whats the point if you can replace the stylus function with a button configuration?  is that what you mean? I hope Nintendo dont let us down, please! even Link is left handed!

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 04:47:53 PM »
you could use your finger instead of the stylus no?
OUT OF DATE.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 05:25:42 PM »
I'm left handed.

I'm not getting a DS.  Problem solved!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mira

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 06:36:51 PM »
DrZoidberg is right.
You could use your finger.

Or your right hand with the stylus. You won't be writing at all.
Mostly "point and click" actions. The worst 'game' would be PictoChat with all that drawing and writing(if you're planning on writing) But even so, you can write and draw with your left hand while using PictoChat because it won't need the directional pad.

Pic-Pac requires drawing lines. Being a right handed person for pens & pencils, I can say for sure that I can draw simple and semi-straight lines using my left hand. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem vice-versa.

Again, most of the games requires the "point-and-click"
And if so, you can always use your finger. The controls for Metriod Hunters has been changed so you won't be using of the stylus all the time. Some of you make it sound like if you were gonna write a 10-page essay using your right hand. Your playing games. Not doing paper work. It doesn't matter if your sloppy with your right hand or not while playing the DS.

EDIT:
A good example is this:
Grab a pen or pencil. A good length(not too long and not too short) is preferred. Hold it with your right hand and start touching your computer monitor using your pen or pencil(make sure the tip of the pen is facing you, not the monitor). No problems holding it? Great! Your ready for Nintendo DS!

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 07:02:24 PM »
i'm left handed yet i feel no need to post in this topic....
Banned

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 07:18:36 PM »
I can't argue with that logic!

I'm ambidextrous, so having both setups is really nice...Hopefully the right/left setups are hardware-based so devs don't need to "remember" to add it in...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 08:33:21 PM »
Mutant!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 06:37:13 PM »
I almost forget about this thread... well, we could use the right hand, but that would suck! try using your left hand, even for just pointing and clicking, is unconfortable, but I could get used to it...

Anyway, in the recent site of Nintendo DS Japan the first video in the "my first touch" section (Im so childish, I keep laughing at that title XD) has a left handed completly enjoying the game ^_^ Im less worried now.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 08:53:07 PM »
u think ur  childish, read my topic on, touch and then there was a pervert  
Banned

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 04:43:23 AM »
Im reviving this old topic since now many of you have a DS in your hands, so whats your impressions? are the DS games left handed compatible? which ones and which ones not?