Author Topic: Mario 128?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE:Mario 128?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 12:43:39 AM »

Originally posted by: eatwasabi
On a side note, speaking of mario 128, remember the whole "Mario 64" "Goldeneye 64" "Donkey Kong 64" naming convention? I thought that was pretty lame marketing (one of the reason why I didn't buy the n64)

you're lame

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 02:27:25 AM »

On a side note, speaking of mario 128, remember the whole "Mario 64" "Goldeneye 64" "Donkey Kong 64" naming convention? I thought that was pretty lame marketing (one of the reason why I didn't buy the n64)

Oh, so I assume you didn't buy a Super Nintendo too even though many of the games began with "Super"?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Cube_King

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 12:27:58 AM »

I thought that was pretty lame marketing (one of the reason why I didn't buy the n64)

fun, anyone?

"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Mario 128?
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2004, 01:17:01 AM »
The Fun Machine rules.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2004, 06:53:06 AM »
Do not mock the Nintendo 64. Saying you don't want the N64 because most games' titles end with 64 is like saying you don't want to use the bathroom because the toilet seat is pink. I still play the N64 on a regular basis, because it has the best multi-player games ever. By not buying one, you're only hurting yourself.

-Mop 64

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2004, 06:55:21 AM »
Let's not turn this into a GRR MUST CRUSH NEWSPAPER n64 defense thread please.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004, 07:19:17 AM »
If or when Mario 128 comes out, I know it's going to be fun.  I haven't played a Mario game I didn't like.  All of them are just hilarious with his little "MAH!" or "WHOO!!" noises.  SMS is, I think, still better than Mario 64 just because it took those elements of 64 and refined them.  They were just fun.  But Mario 64 is still great.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 07:50:30 AM »
I agree with SgtShiversBen, no Mario game has been disappointing to me, they are all hell fun to play, and my greatest gaming memories come from playing mario, the funny thing is I never actually buy mario 64! I rented it and completed it, then I look forward to buy it but I couldnt find it I would be pleased by any Mario game Miyamoto is going to make, I have a blind trust about his talent. (I know, fanboyism to the extreme! if he releases a piece of crap Ill probably like it >_< )
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 09:09:49 AM »
I've expressed the awful taste left in my mouth before by Sunshine.  It really was Mario 64 lite with better graphics, same exact to a f'n tee missions on most levels, too much childish scavenger hunting, not enough platforming, the water pack has caused a racoon to roll over in his grave, it didn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom?????what are they smoking???, yoshi was useless, it had a plane in it, they didn't correct the mistakes of Mario 64 like bring back the traditional powerups and expand upon that (instead they just ignored them completly because they were afraid people would call it kiddy for not being 'realistic' enough), still no Luigi, no themed enviroments (Mario established the themed levels in videogames taking a cue from the classic old english tale Beowulf whose themes included man vs the elements which is expressed in the story by the dragon who lives in the earth, flies in the air, breaths fire, and dies in water), Mario finally crossed the line and did get kiddy, Bowser was way way way way too easy, Mario's gigly school girl expressions defamed the character, and it was marketed badly.  

I forgave Mario 64 for not being close enough to the old 2d Mario Bros games.  It didnt have Luigi or a playable Yoshi.  It dumped the powerups they had used for over ten years in the games.  There was too much collecting useless items.  But it was an orginal Mario title and it was the first real 3d game and it was a quality 3d game technically.  But  since Mario 64 established the technical qualifications for camera control, analog control, jumping in 3d, and other standards shouldn't Mario now be worried about being less of a 3d game and more of a Mario game that happens to be in 3d.  Maybe the solution is for the series to go back to the 2d but that could look bad for Nintendo to back away from 3d which they are credited for creating.  I don't think it has to go back to 2d, but I wouldn't mind.  

Paper Mario is awesome.  It brings back old themes and characters.  The graphics are great.  I'm not a fan of it getting gimicky with the paper thing (paper airplane?).  They think it is cute to make fun of the game in the game but it is just distracting, though I appreciate their ability to laugh at themselves.  I can't wait to play it.  While the 3d games have lost track of their roots Paper Mario takes full advantage of its past.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2004, 11:15:34 PM »
There is much anger in this one^

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 05:28:35 AM »
See, that's where I disagree.  I think games shouldn't stick to their roots SO much.  But still have something to work on and improvise.  If that was the case, every game would be the same.  That's why I applaud Mario 2 and Link's Adventure.  They offered a completely new adventures and a complete new way to play.  I know that's just me, and the majority of y'all hate LA and Mario 2.  But that's what opinions are for. :-)
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 06:31:52 AM »
SgtBen: I think franchises should stick to their roots, for new game styles I'd prefer new worlds, new characters, etc to go with it.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 06:38:44 AM »
Well it doesn't hurt for them to try something new.  Metroid didn't really stick to it's roots, but look how effective that was.  But, you know, we all have our tastes

Oh, for future note, y'all can just call me Ben

Offline TheJoker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2004, 03:09:39 PM »
i say we need the game like super mario allstars + mario world
i liked the super mario very much and im still playing (unfortunly on an emulator) but dont forget about super mario kart : double dash!!
that is a good game also,right?
the new mario should have the old power ups an themes AND the 2d game-play, still mario 64 was good but not good enough, and luigi should come as gameplay too, or like an alternative toad and the princess in mario bros 2, throw away those mario party's , im wtf is that? its a stupid board game!...but there is coming a new mario only Miyamato said there a problems with the controller and mario AND Luigi will be much mature then before, not too mature like killing hookers in GTA3, but im hope for some screenshots bcuz we have no E3 in Holland  =(
btw im new

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2004, 09:59:38 PM »

Originally posted by: TheJoker
i say we need the game like super mario allstars + mario world
i liked the super mario very much and im still playing (unfortunly on an emulator) but dont forget about super mario kart : double dash!!
that is a good game also,right?
the new mario should have the old power ups an themes AND the 2d game-play, still mario 64 was good but not good enough, and luigi should come as gameplay too, or like an alternative toad and the princess in mario bros 2, throw away those mario party's , im wtf is that? its a stupid board game!...but there is coming a new mario only Miyamato said there a problems with the controller and mario AND Luigi will be much mature then before, not too mature like killing hookers in GTA3, but im hope for some screenshots bcuz we have no E3 in Holland  =(
btw im new

What was it that made SM64 not good enough in your opinion? And who and when was it said that the next Mario title would be in any way "mature"?

Oh and welcome to the forums!

Offline TheJoker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2004, 12:25:20 AM »
Question: You have said that the next Mario is going to be more mature. Are there plans to go through with this concept?

Miyamoto: Well, by that I didn't mean that Mario is going to be the game for adults, but rather I wanted to say more specifically about the game, is that the character is going to look less childish. I'm not saying that Mario is going to be like Conker's Bad Fur Day. You have seen Luigi's image in yesterday's footage, and I think that you would agree that Luigi is less childish now, that's the kind of thing that I was talking about when I referred to Mario becoming more matured.
(source http://ign64.ign.com/articles/084/084134p1.html )

im not saying SM64 was bad, i say it wasnt good enough
bcus lets face it we all want yoshi  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2004, 12:31:27 AM »
GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHAT

frying eggs?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2004, 08:25:18 AM »
this one will be great i think it will be on gamecube cos in a mag called CUBE a few weeks back mario 128 was binned renamed mario revolution but in the last issue mario revolution was binned and remade mario 128 and i dout it will be on DS cos there is allready 2 new mario games indevepment
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by: TheJoker
Question: You have said that the next Mario is going to be more mature. Are there plans to go through with this concept?

Miyamoto: Well, by that I didn't mean that Mario is going to be the game for adults, but rather I wanted to say more specifically about the game, is that the character is going to look less childish. I'm not saying that Mario is going to be like Conker's Bad Fur Day. You have seen Luigi's image in yesterday's footage, and I think that you would agree that Luigi is less childish now, that's the kind of thing that I was talking about when I referred to Mario becoming more matured.
(source http://ign64.ign.com/articles/084/084134p1.html )

Ah. Well then thanks for that info, somehow it slipped passed me...like my life. Anyway it's nice that you bothered to find the source. I appreciate it.

So by more mature, it's meant to be less childish looking. I guess I can handle that. Just so long as Mario doesn't run any hookers over with his car.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2004, 06:57:13 PM »
Paper Mario 2 has taken a step down that road...The game is a lot sketchier than it looks...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~