Author Topic: Mario 128?  (Read 11474 times)

Offline CJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario 128?
« on: September 22, 2004, 03:26:45 AM »
You don't hear about Mario 128.The last I heard Shigeru Miyamoto said he couldn't make up his mind about bringing it to the Gamecube or Nintendo's next console.Has anyone heard anything?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Mario 128?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:33:25 AM »
It doesn't exist.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 03:33:37 AM »
Most likely a launch title for the Rev...Don't look for info before next E3...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
RE:Mario 128?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 03:36:56 AM »
It's renamed: Mario Revolution. Anyway, I've heard from a Japanese guy at Nintendo that it's going to be released for the GCN, while others state it's going to be a launch title for the new console. I'm confused now.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 03:50:34 AM »
I personally hope the next real Super Mario game is on GCN, I remember reading somewhere a quote from Miyamoto that said he felt that some people were disappointed with Super Mario Sunshine, and he wanted to make it up to everyone by releasing a better Mario game, on GameCube. The GCN isn't even three years old yet, I hate all this talk about games being pushed back to Nintendos next home console.  

Offline CJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 03:57:50 AM »
For N64 he said there would be 2 Mario game's,but only brought out one.Then when the gamecube came out he said there would be 2 Mario game's for the system.Why say that if you don't mean it.I'm very disappointed.Oh well.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 04:27:06 AM »
So far nothing is known about the supposed sequel to Mario 64. I'm sure you don't count 64x4 and NEW SMB for the DS.

Offline CJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 04:50:30 AM »
No I am not thinking about those games.I thought the SMB game for the DS was just a remade version of the first game for the NES,so I was told anyway's.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 08:08:49 AM »
Not sure about it being a remake, but the videos so far suggest that it's a remake in the same sense that Zero Mission is a remake of Metroid.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 09:34:39 AM »
Instead of feeling bad about no more Mario for GameCube, feel happy that we'll have Mario at launch for Revolution!

And play Paper Mario 2...it's not a "real" Mario game, I suppose, but the original had plenty of platforming and action in it, I imagine this one will be the same.  Actually, to me, Paper Mario felt more like a classic Mario game than Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 10:13:58 AM »
I think Mr. Miyamato said that if he didnt show Mario 128 at the E3 04 show then we probably will not get to see it on GameCube.  

It could still be coming out on GameCube hardware and launch with the Revolution if the Revolution is backwards compatible.  But the game may not be compatible with the GameCube controller because the Revolution is supposed to offer new ways to game.  

Miyamato said he liked it when people used to move there controller when jumping as Mario the first time they played the NES.  I could see the movement of the controller or some flight sticks controling Mario.  For the first time we would move Mario on screen with our arms instead of our thumbs.

Then again we may be doomed to Mario Piano.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 05:37:11 PM »
I consider Paper Mario 2 to be just as much a "real" Mario game as Super Mario Sunshine was. If you think about it, with the release of Paper Mario 2, Mario will have had more RPGs (3) than 3D platform games (2). Plus Paper Mario 2 definitly has more traditional Mario settings, characters, and music than Super Mario Sunshine did.
I suppose you could argue the only real "REAL" Mario games are the 2D side-scrollers. But in recent years, Mario has pretty much transcended genre. There are millions who know Mario more for games like Mario Party and Mario Kart than any of his platformers.

As for Miyamoto's controller comments.
I've longed believed Nintendo's next console would use some kind of motion-sensor technology in its controllers. Nintendo has already experimented with such technology before. In fact, the upcoming new Warioware for the GBA uses it.
Imagine a Mario game where Mario could actually jump higher if you gave the controller an upward thrust when pressing the jump button. Sure, something like that could get annoying if over-used but, in moderation, it could make the game feel much more interactive. I'm sure Miyamoto could think of dozens if not hundereds of other ways to utilize the technology in a Mario game as well. Of course there'd be much more traditional uses for the technology. Like using the controller as a steering wheel or flight yolk, essentially allowing the standard console controller to do many of the things an expensive accessory would.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 09:17:58 PM »
If there's no trailer for it, I doesn't really exist to me and I shall not worry about it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 10:19:11 PM »
Michael: Paper Mario 2 would be the 4th Mario RPG, not the 3rd. So far there have been Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 12:53:32 AM »
I'm still praying for the next Mario title to be on the GCN. I don't think it's unreasonable to think it may in fact be a cube title anyway. I mean we do have quite a while ahead of us before we see the "revolution". Plenty more dev time for a mario game.

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 02:24:57 AM »
I doubt another Mario title will appear on the GC especially not Mario 128. Personally I think if Mario 128 does exist it can not possibly live up to the level of expectations and hype that it has created. Dont get me wrong I'm not doubting Shigeru Miyamoto, but everyone expects the next mario to be highly innovative and do amazing stuff thats never been done in video games and I just think some people will end up disappointed. Also if he's still deciding what platform he wants to develope it on then surely it must mean that it hasn't been in the programming stage for very long. Doesn't it????????? or maybe im just stupid.. which is probably the case.  
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 05:34:47 AM »
Cube_King: I somewhat agree with your point about the game not living up to expectations.  Nintendo fans do tend to get carried away by hype, especially hype of the "innovative" variety.  Some of that is Nintendo's fault for being so secretive about new game ideas, even if they aren't that exciting.  Personally, I'd be happy if the next game were just like Super Mario Sunshine, but with many more levels and much more variety in the tasks.

The fact that Miyamoto keeps claiming the game is going to be very different from previous Mario games further leads me to believe it will go to Revolution.  It makes sense since Revolution is supposed to introduce a new way of playing games.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 09:14:43 AM »
*Points to Fable* At least Nintendo is secretive about it, instead of promising this and that. They just said it's going to be revolutionary, a pretty vague term if you ask me. They haven't released any info, so all the hype is just based on one word, wow. And because they're secretive, there's a higher chance of being surprised. I haven't read anything about Super Mario 64 and it wowed me completely. Just forget about the hype and don't believe all the crap.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 09:29:39 AM »
The problem is that people expect the game to be both highly innovative and unlike anything before AND an exact copy of Mario 64 with more levels. That's the dilemma, some want one, some want the other, some want both...

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 10:15:11 AM »
True, KDR.  There's a lot of conflict in the Nintendo fan community over innovation.  A lot of Nintendo's recent games have been criticized for their lack of originality, but at the same time, if you asked a room (or forum) full of Nintendo fans what the ultimate Mario game will be, a lot of them would describe a game that's basically Super Mario Bros. 3 + Super Mario World.  They want Yoshi, Koopa Kids, traditional Mario power-ups, animal costumes, and 2D gameplay.

Honestly, I want any good Mario adventure game Nintendo can give me.  That's why I again suggest Paper Mario 2 to people who want another Mario game on the GameCube.  It's not strictly a platformer, but it's definitely still a Mario game.

Offline CJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 06:50:14 PM »
I never even thought of Paper Mario 2.I forgot all about it.I will play that one.

Offline eatwasabi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2004, 08:23:34 PM »
On a side note, speaking of mario 128, remember the whole "Mario 64" "Goldeneye 64" "Donkey Kong 64" naming convention? I thought that was pretty lame marketing (one of the reason why I didn't buy the n64)

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 09:17:31 PM »
The GCN isn't technically even a 128 bit system is it? Isn't it like, 64 bit processor, 32 bit floating point?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 10:00:45 PM »
That is correct.  YOU WIN THE DAILY DOUBLE.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 11:27:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
That is correct.  YOU WIN THE DAILY DOUBLE.

Excellent! I impress myself.