Author Topic: Soul Calibur  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur
« on: September 20, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »
It seems that Namco is porting the DC version of Soul Calibur 1 to DS. I hope this is true....the DS has the perfect button configuration. Can you imagine wireless multplayer SC on DS!? Soul Calibur DS?

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Soul Calibur
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 06:42:47 PM »
It would lack Talim, my favorite character... ;_;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 07:47:04 PM »
  Who needs talim when you have the awesome power of rock. They should upgrade soul edge, or include li long in soul calibur. (the rock comment is sarcasm)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:14:08 PM »
Hm, does it include Nightmare and Cervantes?  

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
RE:Soul Calibur
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 11:10:33 PM »
This would be soo cool as Soul Calibur 2 is one of my favourite games I've ever played. I seriously doubt the DS version "will look and sound exactly like the DC version". DS graphics is just above N64 quality graphics, I doubt it could look as good as the DC version. Even if Namco decided to remake the DC version, they should throw Link in there. That would definately ensure positive sales.  
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 02:34:02 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Hm, does it include Nightmare and Cervantes?

Yes, they were both in the original...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 11:02:52 AM »
Yay for Hwang!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:05:32 PM »

Yes, they were both in the original...

Do you mean the original Soul Calibur (for the Dreamcast), or the ORIGINAL original Soul Calibur game, which would be Soul Edge/Blade (for the PSone)?

Considering that I don't believe that the DS can pull off a top-notch Dreamcast game that "will look and sound exactly like the original" (from the Cube-Europe report), I'm guessing that someone somewhere got confused about the Soul Calibur timeline.

The DS is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation was, and while it doesn't have the CD-storage capacity of the PlayStation, as long as it has "enough" storage, it can pull off games that are better than anything seen on the PSone.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 03:10:50 PM »
I meant the original Soul Calibur, since that's what this topic is about, right? =D

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 04:54:23 PM »
Meh... Does the DS have 128 bit architecture? I dont think it can pull it off... Soul Edge sounds more likely....  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 07:17:40 PM »
If you read the article from the link it says the DC version.  It aint possible to remake the DC version identical, it's gotta be the arcade Soul Edge or the PS1 Soul Blade (may have got the names vice versa'd).  If it is the DC version, it aint gonna look as good, although with DS features it wouldn't matter.  Maybe it's just a new Soul Calibur based off the other vers, with special DS features.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 10:13:35 PM »
I'd say they're probably remaking the game. Using the PS1 graphics would underpower the DS (and Soul Edge is sad to play like crap, anyway) and using the DC ones would be too demanding.

Cell: What's address space gotta do with anything? The Cube is 32 bit, the XBox is 32 bit, yet both are more powerful than the Dreamcast. The PS2 is 32bit, too (some claim it's 128 bit since it has four 32 bit processors and 4x32 is 128, right? wrong.), but it's disputable whether it's better than the DC. The x86 is only now making the jump from 32 bit to 64.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 08:08:22 AM »
Why is it so hard to believe that it'll look and sound the same as the Dreamcast?

When I saw Hunters for the first time I thought I was watching a GC game.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 08:10:53 AM »
Paladin: The DS has lower specs than the DC. The end result miht look the same to the casual watcher bt they won't be able to use the same source material. Hunters relies mostly on elaborate textures (kinda like Doom 3 just with less fancy tech).

Offline Kaboth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 01:24:27 PM »
Soul Calibur for DS I'd buy that in an instant. Hopefully I can still play as Seung Mina and Sophitia.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »
What's address space gotta do with anything?

that the DS regretfully doesnt have the hardware to make Soul Calibur work. Soul Edge most definetly but not Soul Calibur.... and personally if thats the case, id rather see them Port Tekken 3 to the N64, than Soul Edge.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 02:09:31 PM »
What's stopping Namco from using similar tech to Hunters so the game looks virtually indistinguishable from the DC version in motion?

The DC wasn't THAT big a jump up from the N64, and the smaller screen will naturally make things look much better.

All you people are acting like if Namco successfully pulls this off you still won't believe it.  And based on what? A few screenshots and unfinished demos?

Plus, what if the game is just one screen? Maybe both processors can concentrate on just that one. I'm just guessing here.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 06:43:20 PM »
You guys are overlooking one major factor. Resolution. A DS version of Soul Calibur would be rendered in 256x192 versus 640x480 for DC. The DS version wouldn't have to use as high a level of textures, probably could get away with no Anti-Aliasing etc. etc. Would it look as good as the DC version probably not? My guess is it would look mid way in between an N64 and DC title graphically. Then again MP: Hunters looks a damn near DC quality. Also I have NFS: Underground for GBA and while the game looks a bit jaggy on GBA...its 10 times as muddy on my GBA Player. Its kind of like how shrinking a screenshot makes it look sharper than it is. The much lower resolution will allow Soul Calibur DS to come much closer to the Dreamcast version than would be possible if say the DS had the render the game on a TV at 640x480.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 05:48:25 AM »
Cube Europe sourced Nintendo Evolved and I can't find it on there :S

Oh wait, here it is, in the RUMORS:
http://www.nintendo-evolved.com/article.php?artid=1599

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 09:31:08 AM »
Did anyone think it was more than a rumor? But yes, Cube-Europe has a reputation of posting rumors as facts way too often.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »
The best one to port would be the original arcade title, as it's quality is in between the PS1 version and the DC version, which would put it at DS quality.  Although I guess they could do the Soul Calibur DC on the DS, but it would be tamed.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 10:05:27 PM »
Well, they'd probably use the codebase from a home console version and add the art assets of hat arcade version, if theyre the right polycount for the DS...