Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 176668 times)

Offline boggy b

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #450 on: August 04, 2003, 12:03:11 AM »
GN, have you ever played guard tipping in MGS2?
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2003, 03:27:28 AM »
Guard tipping?  I don't have the foggiest clue what you are talking about.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Scalemail Ted

• View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #452 on: August 07, 2003, 11:06:42 PM »
I'm gonna be in MGS:TTS!!!

I received this email from Konami:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:40:25 -0400
TO: <ScalemailTed@ScalemailTed.com>
SUBJECT: Announcement to the Winners of the "Your Name in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" Campaign

Thank you very much for registering in the "Your Name in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" campaign
which we ran on our website starting May, 2003.

After a fair selection process, we are happy to notify you that your name has been selected.
Your name will appear in "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" and we hope you are excited.

The development team is using all the precious time it has to make the game a better product.
We ask for your warm support.

From Konami JPN and the Metal Gear Solid team

*The data you have registered for this campaign will not be used for any purpose other than this campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So look for me somewhere in the game:

Edward Holmberg

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 08, 2003, 04:03:43 AM »
This is gonna make throwing "your" body over the edge of a rail so much  more interesting. Mommy, look! I'm killing PGC Forum Users! Congratulations on winning the contest though. I forget though. How many names were they going to take?
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 08, 2003, 04:15:03 AM »
Oh I will enjoy killing you more than I will enjoy seeing Liquid Snake die...
I WiLL FIND YOU! MUHAHAHAH!

Gongrats man.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 08, 2003, 04:19:53 AM »
I will personally submit him to the worst possible torture I can find.  He will WISH he was just a dead corpse having his ass humped by Snake.  There's just no excuse for him being picked and not me.  

Congratulations man.  I hope you are enjoying it as much as I would be.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 11, 2003, 11:11:40 AM »
iv been feelign very metal gear solid nastalgic....its been along tiem sicne i played solid. I got to the damn 2nd cd and the 2nd cd was a coaster so i got screwed out of half the experience.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oompah

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 11, 2003, 09:26:58 PM »
The original MGS on the PSX was also 2 dics and a third with the special missions VR add-on. I havent played ED yet but is going to be my next purchase as i've heard too many good things! :-) Just to add my bit -  i'm wondering how Twin Snakes will hold up against MGS3?  Its looking pretty damn good so SK will have to do something pretty special to make it better for the majority who have already played their way through the first one besides updated graphics.  Then again there was REmake :-) But even still, Twin Snakes is looking very similar to SOL just with the levels of the first game, where MGS3 is a whole new story? Will be very interesting to see the end product!
You can live in happiness too! Like the oompah-loompah doopity-do!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2003, 11:57:08 AM »

Originally posted by: oompah
The original MGS on the PSX was also 2 dics and a third with the special missions VR add-on. I havent played ED yet but is going to be my next purchase as i've heard too many good things! :-) Just to add my bit -  i'm wondering how Twin Snakes will hold up against MGS3?  Its looking pretty damn good so SK will have to do something pretty special to make it better for the majority who have already played their way through the first one besides updated graphics.  Then again there was REmake :-) But even still, Twin Snakes is looking very similar to SOL just with the levels of the first game, where MGS3 is a whole new story? Will be very interesting to see the end product!

Well, I couldnt really care less about the fact that MGS is a remake, Im one of the few unlucky (now lucky) ones that never played the original. To me its like a whole new awesome game, I loved MGS2 and the fact that its supposed to have a better story with MGS2 gameplay, AWWWEEEEEHAAAAA

LZ 2005

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2003, 12:32:49 PM »
I just purchased MGS for PS two days ago.  Reading some reveiws I didn't know if i really wanted it but for 10 dollars, I was like, buying it.  Anyway, I must suck at these kinds of games because so far, it's kinda hard.  I think it's because I think the enemy AI is alot smarter than it really is, so I try to make things more complicated then they really are.

So far, though, it's a great game.

but I have one question, MGS3:the snake eater isn't coming to the cube, right?  Why not?  Why all this remake stuff when others are getting a brand new game?  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2003, 08:42:39 PM »
I recently played through about half or so of MGS at a friend's house (I had already beaten it once) and I just remembered how good of a game this is.  The first time I played it I was disappointed by the comic-book cheesy villains and wanted more realism.. this time, though, I was expecting it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Still, I don't really need a $50 remake of a game I can get for $15.  What's the point?  Why don't they make a remake of the ORIGINAL Metal Gear?  It'd explain Grey Wolf's character and the whole Zanzibar story, and would pretty much be a brand new game considering how dated the NES technology is.  But I've already said this, so...

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #462 on: August 18, 2003, 10:35:11 AM »
Konami is making the game and they are going to put it on the console they are going to make the most money on.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2003, 04:08:33 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
I recently played through about half or so of MGS at a friend's house (I had already beaten it once) and I just remembered how good of a game this is.  The first time I played it I was disappointed by the comic-book cheesy villains and wanted more realism.. this time, though, I was expecting it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Still, I don't really need a $50 remake of a game I can get for $15.  What's the point?  Why don't they make a remake of the ORIGINAL Metal Gear?  It'd explain Grey Wolf's character and the whole Zanzibar story, and would pretty much be a brand new game considering how dated the NES technology is.  But I've already said this, so...

Well yes that would make sense and doesnt seem like that much more of an effort since SK is redoing almost everything in the game anyways. But well, they ought to have their reasons and since I never played MGS I can live with the fact.
LZ 2005

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 19, 2003, 07:45:09 PM »
I hope the rumours of MGS2 being ported to the Cube alongside MGS:TTS are true. Actually come to think of it, it would make a good bonus disk

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 19, 2003, 08:06:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
I hope the rumours of MGS2 being ported to the Cube alongside MGS:TTS are true. Actually come to think of it, it would make a good bonus disk

For the sake of people who haven't played the game, I will agree with that.  But having been someone who has played the game, I will just say that I want the game to stay as far away from my GameCube as possible.  That game is just filth.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2003, 01:25:11 AM »
Huh? MGS2 is bloody awesome! I love it, and i usually hate games with lots of story and stuff. Its a damn good game. It is FAR from filth.

O_o

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2003, 05:49:37 AM »
Well, I normally like games with a lot of story.  But not when the characters are unlikeable and the story sucks, and you have to listen to long interludes between Jack and Rose.  I have already seen Titanic, and I hated it very much.  I do not wish to play the video game adaption.  I also do not want to play the bastard son of Metal Gear Solid.  In case you didn't realize from the in game dialogue, MGS2 was a recreation of the events in MGS, but they made everything suck in the process.  It was like decaffeinated coffee.  It's just not as good as the original.

Metal Gear Solid 2 had excellent gameplay, but there was nothing that made me want to continue playing it.  By the time I got to the end of the game, I was simply in agony.  I wanted a SEQUEL to Metal Gear Solid.  I did NOT want to play Metal Gear Raiden:  Titanic Recreated.

When I first started playing the game, I was in heaven.  Snake was sneaking around a tanker kicking ass, and humping guards.  I deemed it to be the perfect game.  

In the second part, I was Raiden, and I was sneaking around "The Big Shell", where I was still killing guards, but I would no longer hump guards, as it just looked too freaking homosexual.  I amused myself by shooting birds when I didn't have to listen to the bad soap opera going on around me.

As time went on, I met the new enemies.  I didn't like Vamp too much.  He doesn't belong in a Metal Gear game.  The character is far too seperated from reality.  Fortune was also too unrealistic, but I give her a B for being the only enemy I really gave a crap about and had an honest to goodness personality.  The Fat Man wasn't anything special, but definately made the Metal Gear standard.

Olga was a big disgrace.  It just added to the horrible soap opera going on.  Nobody can replace Grey Fox, and they shouldn't have tried.  Especially not with that character.  But that's just my opinion.

The cut scenes between "Jack" and "Rose" rapidly became the bane of my existence.  One more Titanic reference, and one more word about the stupid love story they had going was going to cause me to pull my hair out.

When Raiden is running around holding his wang while I have to listen to the Colonel talk random garbage, and I have to figure out where the hell I am going for 20 minutes, I decided that I really and truly hated the game.

Fighting like 10 Metal Gears at once without even a drop of sweat on the controller sealed the deal.

The ending just sucked, but I was very happy with it, because it meant the game was finally over.  One more word about the cheap ass conspiracy would have me in tears.

That was my play through of MGS2.  I do feel I was overly harsh with it in some areas, but the lack of a believable or even a stylish story or characters just pissed me right off.  The first game was superior in almost every way, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes will just seal the deal once and for all.

I just hope that Metal Gear Solid 3 will enable me to forgive Kojima-san for the rotten game.  I still very much respect the man, but it's kind of forced after MGS2.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2003, 07:38:13 AM »
Mario, you don't think they'd give us MGS2 on a bonus disc when they could just as easily make money off it do you? I suppose it's possible but I would think they'd like to milk it for all it's worth. Like Nintendo is doing with SNES ports to GBA.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 22, 2003, 02:50:46 PM »
New MGS:TT screens

Whoa! It's starting to look as good as MGS3 now.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 22, 2003, 03:20:03 PM »
OMG.  After seeing those screens, I am very excited about this game.  Yet I doubt I'll buy it untill I can find it for like, 20 bucks.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 22, 2003, 04:05:50 PM »
Mouse Clicker, thank you very much for the find.

In a sidenote, I did something that I am very embarrassed about.  Since I found a copy for $25 CAD, I bought MGS2: Substance for PC.  I figured that I could get my $25 worth of fun from the VR training, and the new Snake's Tales missions.  I am actually greatly enjoying the game.  I refuse to play the Big Shell though.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 22, 2003, 11:18:15 PM »
On a side note, SK confirmed they have no plans to port MGS2 for GC. But maybe Konamii...

Oh yeah, I hated MGS2 too, so I really dont care either way.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 23, 2003, 09:02:22 AM »
My grandpa bought me my copy of MGS2 for $20 at this place in Alabama where they send all the lost luggage. They had tons of brand new, unopened games for $25 or less- it was great.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 23, 2003, 12:52:27 PM »
Despite what you all say...I continue to love MGS2.

But anyways, back to MGS:TTS. That's a bit more like it! But still slightly off the mark. The textures are certainly nicer, but none of the models are above PS2 standard (which they frankly really should be). I'm a little disappointed that they're not changing any of the areas substantially. It'll basically be the same game. If they want to give me extra incentive to buy this game over any other at the same time (and I can only afford one game every three months or so), then they're gonna have to do something special.

Either way, I have noticed one problem: Why was there a dogtag competition? The soldiers in Twin Snakes are all clones of Big Boss. They all have the same blood type, there'd be no reason to have names and they'd probably be grown in batches and so would have similar birthdays.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."