Author Topic: MAFIA #32: Super MAFIA Bros. ***SIGN UP THREAD***  (Read 44414 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Re: MAFIA #32: Super MAFIA Bros. ***SIGN UP THREAD***
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 08:46:21 PM »
Mop it up, I think you should join.  You don't have to roleplay.  The vast majority of the players don't.  Sure, the game would be more fun if everyone did, but since most don't, you should join the game and play along.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »
You should give it a try Mop_it_up.If you don't like it after you play than you don't have to play again.Give it a try.:)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:57:06 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »
Give in to peer pressure Mop_It_Up, do it now!  ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »
Okay, FINE, I'll give it a try, but please don't get annoyed if I make a mistake. It is likely to happen, so don't say I didn't warn you...

However, I'm not sure I understand how this game works, so could somebody please explain it? There's a lot of different roles and voting and it's all just so confusing! That's why I'm not so sure you all would want me in the game, since if I can't grasp the concept based on the rules which have already been presented then I don't know if explaining it another way will help...

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
Thank you for trying it out Mop_it_up.
Ok here is basically what happens during the day. Everybody can vote in the game.If you are a townie;a good guy you try and vote out the Mafia.If you are Mafia you want to try and get a vote going for a townie.Most of the stratigizing happens behind the scenes through PMs. After voting is done for the day then Night Actions happen.If you have a role than you PM the host.Which is Drew MG. Say you are the investagator you say you want to investigate me. Drew will send you the results. The Mafia gets to kill one person a night. This cycle continues till a winner is decided.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »
Okay, does this mean you don't know what role anyone else has been given? Or do you know who else is on your side but just don't know who the special roles have been assigned to?

What happens with the person who receives the most votes in a day? The rules post says "Each player then has the chance to vote off another player"; does that mean whoever receives the most votes is dead and is out of the game?

If I'm not sure about something after the game starts, would I be able to PM Drew MG and ask him a question?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
The only people that knows each other are the Mafia.The Townies are just told that they are a townie or has a townie role such as Protector.The townies have to figure out who the other townies are.Nobody knows the roles at the start but the mafia know each other.

The person that receives the most votes get killed.

Yes you can ask Drew MG a question after the game starts but I think it would be best to get questions out of the way now so when the game starts you understand everything and can start trying to find out who is who.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:39:44 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
Ah okay, so then the Mafia players all strategize with each other via PM's and discuss ways to try and get everyone to vote for the Townies, right?

And the Townies don't know who is who, so based on the actions of other players they try to guess which ones are the Mafia and vote for one of them?

Well, I'm still trying to figure out what all of the different roles are capable of/supposed to do, so what happens if I get stuck as one of the special roles and aren't sure exactly what I'm supposed to do?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »
You are right about both the mafia and townies and what they are supose to do.

About the Different roles what ones are you not sure of?
If you get a role you can ask Drew MG about it.I must advise you don't ask him right when you get it. There could be people watching who's online and may see what you are doing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »
About mafia role-playing: I've only played once, but it seems that if there aren't many role-playing posters in the game, attempting to role play gets you killed. I guess it makes you stick out too much, and especially when there's a secret bomber in the game, it's easy for others to get suspicious of you.
Well, I don't know... when I was mafia last game, I argued with my mafia mates that we should leave Gylldas alone, solely for the fact that he was roleplaying. *shrug* Guess it depends...

But did they side with you in the end or override you and kill Gylldas?

*facepalm*
Meh I ended up hurting the townies using my powers as Mint anyways.  If you kept me around longer I probably could've killed off a few more of 'em for ya. :P
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 12:42:46 AM »
Hey Drew what day do you think the game will start? Monday or Wednesday?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
Mop_It_Up, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have during the course of the game.  Also, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to give out my personal email address before the game starts so that you can email me for clarification without having to log into the site to do so. 

Of course, any official game actions would need to be sent through the PM system on NWR. 

You've got the gist of it, Mop.  Here's a quick and dirty on all the roles, using different language.

Mario (Investigator) - Almost every game has a basic investigator.  The purpose of this role is that he can obtain the role of any other player in the game except the godfather of the mafia.  Mario will send a PM to me after the day ends containing the name of a player he would like investigated, and I will respond with that player's role. 

Luigi (Protector) - This is another role that is present in almost every mafia game.  The protector will choose one player every night, and that player is unable to be killed by any means overnight (unless he was voted out during the day).  The mafia doesn't know who the protected player is, so they run the risk of wasting their hit at night.

Peach (Saint) - In the case of the saint, if this is the player voted out during the day, then when she is died, the remaining players will be furious, and will lynch the player who cast the first stone, so to speak.  So if you're the one who votes for the player who happens to be Peach first, and that player gets voted out, then you will die as well.  This is the kind of thing that no one would know about until the next morning, when Peach is revealed as the role of the player who was voted out.

Wario (Vote Changer) - In most cases, it will be clear by the end of the day who has lost the vote, and is voted out.  However if it is a close vote, then Wario will come into play.  Wario can change the vote of any one player to the result of his choosing, which might change the vote by the time the morning results are typed up.

Boswer (Godfather) - Bowser is the leader of the bad guys, the mafia.  If he dies, then he can choose a new godfather.  Bowser will make the final call each night as to which player he wants killed off, and also which of the mafia members will be the one responsible for that kill.  Why does it matter who is the one responsible?  For starters, in this game we have a special rule that Bowser is the ONLY mafia member who can successfully kill off Mario.  I mean, we've all seen what happens when Bowser sends a Koopa Troopa off to kill Mario, right? :)  So if the hit of the night is a player who HAPPENS to be Mario, and Bowser does not choose himself as the mafia member to make the hit that night, then the end result will be that the Mafia will lose a member instead of making a hit.

Koopa Troopa - This is just a basic mafia member.  They will discuss among themselves what the plan of action should be, and can be sent by Bowser at night to make a hit for the Mafia.  If Bowser is killed, one of them will be chosen by Bowser to be the next Godfather.

Koopa Jr. - Koopa Jr. will be able to "frame" one player every night.  He will send a PM to me during the night with the name of a player he would like to frame.  If Mario happens to be investigating that same player that night, then the investigation will be botched, and the result of the investigation will return a result of "Mafia" when in fact the player is innocent.

Bob-omb (Suicide Bomber) - We still need a few more players for this little guy to get into the game, but if he does, then he's stuck with the hardest role in the game to win with.  Bob-Omb wins if he's the last one standing.  What happens if the player who has the role of Bob-omb gets voted out?  Then EVERYONE who voted for him is killed along with him.  Also, if Bob-omb is killed by anyone overnight, then the player responsible for that action will be taken out along with Bob-omb.  There is NO safe way to eliminate this player from the game.

Hammer Bros. - These roles are fairly new to the NWR mafia games, and so I expect there to be a bit of confusion.  I think I explained it as well as I could in the inital post, but I'll do it again here just so that any questions that arise have multiple explanations to fall back on.

There are two players who will be assigned the role of Hammer Bros.  One of them will be undercover in the mafia.  The other mafia members will not know WHICH of their members is a mole, only that one of them is. The other Hammer Bros. will be undercover in the townies.  The two Hammer Bros will need to work together to stay alive, because if one of them dies, then both of them will.  The Hammer Bros. will need to try to form alliances with both the Mafia members and the townies to try to keep themselves out of peoples suspicions. 

The Hammer Bros. can both issue hits at night, but only one at a time.  The hammer bros. who is undercover Mafia can only issue hits to kill off mafia, and the hammer bros. who is undercover townie can only issue hits to kill off townies.  If the hammer bros. make a mistake and try to hit the wrong person, then the Mafia will discover which one of them is the mole.

The Hammer Bros. win when the whole mafia is gone, and the Townies are reduced to only two members. 

Okay... I think that's everything.  I hope it clears things up a little bit. 

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
Right now I'm leaning toward starting on Monday.  We have a pretty decent sized group right now.  Hopefully we'll get 1-2 more signups tomorrow. 

Do you guys want the bomber in this game or not?  I'm kind of leaning away from it at this point, but if you guys mainly think it's a good idea, I'm down with it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 01:19:33 AM »
I have a question about Bomb-omb.Lets say that one of the hammer bros hit bomb-omb and Luigi protects that hammer brother.Does that hammer brother die.Would Luigi have to protect that hammer brother before the hammer brother hit bomb-omb?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »
Alright, I think I understand just about everything. Thank you Maxi and DrewMG for your patience in explaining the rules.

Oh yeah, and I'm in as Purple Birdo. Hah! Is that okay?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »
Sure thing.  I'll update your character.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »
You are welcome Mop_it_up.Glad I could help.

You know Mop_it_up with you being the purple it Birdo reminded me of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show Mario cartoon.There was a purple Birdo.
Yes I'm doing a little research on Luigi and how he acts. For those that want to role play they have the cartoons on youtube.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »
You know Mop_it_up with you being the purple it Birdo reminded me of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show Mario cartoon.There was a purple Birdo.
Just one of many things the cartoon got horribly wrong. Did you also notice how the Birdos in the cartoon could fly? Weird.
I have that whole series on DVD, despite not owning a DVD player. Haven't been able to watch very many yet though. There are some really campy lines in that show, made even worse (or better?) by how flatly they are delivered.

Anyways, this gives me a chance to use my "Purple Birdo With Attitude" author icon.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »
Yeah I got the SMBSS DVD too.I'm considering getting the Super Mario Brothers 3 DVD if I can find it.Wasn't there a Super Mario World cartoon?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2009, 01:56:33 AM »
Yeah there's a Super Mario World cartoon, it might be the worst (best?) one of the three. I don't think it's on DVD, but all 12 episodes can be found on YouTube if you search for "Super Mario World Cartoon".

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 01:58:37 AM »
Ok thank you.Nice Avatar.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
Alright, I'm in.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »
Great! Who are you going to be?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 02:58:44 PM »
Drew when are sign ups going to end?I ask this because someone wants to play but I haven't seen him online today.This person also wants to know if Pauline,Mario's girlfriend from Donkey Kong,is a viable character to be.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »
Maxi,

Now that I think about it, I think Wednesday is a good start day. 

I will say that signups will end at 11 PM CST Monday night.  I will send out role assignments on Tuesday, and the game will begin Wednesday morning at 9 CST. 

As to your question about Bob-omb, I'm going to come out and say that since Bob-omb-related deaths are primarily in response to attacks on Bob-omb, that Luigi cannot protect a user from dying as a result of attacking Bob-Omb. 

So if Luigi puts protection on a Hammer Bros. (or any other character) and that Hammer Bros. dies trying to kill the Bomb overnight, then that Hammer Bros. still dies.  Luigi's protection doesn't extend to death by bomber.  Only to death by Mafia and death by Hammer Bros.