Author Topic: LOZ: 2005  (Read 568901 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:LOZ: 2005
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2004, 09:36:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"On a side note, does anyone else think they should cut down the number of Zelda games being released? I mean, this generation we've had the Oracle series, WW, Four Swords and we're getting Minish Cap and this new one."

Yeah I think so.  Same with Metroid.  Now all of those Zelda games rule so it's not a bad thing... yet.  But I think if they keep releasing new Zelda games too frequently the quality will eventually slip.  Everything reaches a point where the creators can't keep the quality up and by having more frequent releases that point is going to arrive quicker.

You mean like Futurama?  When the quality "slipped" because one freaking person said it did!??!  YEAH!??!  WELL I THINK SESAME STREET SLIPPED IN QUALITY A LONG TIME AGO, BUT THEY DIDN'T STICK THAT ON ADULT SWIM, NOW DID THEY!??!  THE QUALITY NEVER SLIPS!  IT'S ALWAYS THE GAMER OR VIEWER THAT SLIPS, OKAY!??!  OKAAAAY!??!

*clears throat*

Very sorry you had to read that.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: LOZ: 2005
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2004, 11:49:20 AM »
Whaaat?  The quality of a game can slip...the quality of anything can slip.  The Sonic series is a popular example.  Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Castlevania 64....there are players out there who will argue that all of these games represent a slip in quality, and in my opinion they are right (even though I still think those are all good or excellent games).

But yes, the slip can also be from the viewer's perspective.  In this case, I think it's wise to follow that old saying, "Leave them wanting more".  I don't really want more of a lot of Nintendo's franchises, because they're already making more than I can handle.  Mario Party is a great example.  I'm interested in Mario Party 6 because of the new mic games, but there's a voice in the back of my head saying, "There will be another one next year, spend your money on something else."  Taken all on it's own, Mario Party 6 will be a great game, I don't think anyone who loves multiplayer games should be without a Mario Party game.  But added to the 5 other games in the series, it's just not that special.

Edit: as for the new screenshots, they're not perfect, but they're still sweet.  I don't think we'll have time to worry about the quality of textures on that monster as he kicks our skinny butts.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »

You know there are twelve Final Fantasies. Twelve, Thirteen when FFXII comes out. And for the life of me I swear they do not change from game to game. Except XI, which is a cruddy MMORPG.

I stopped caring about Final Fantasy after VI.

Maybe I'm just influenced too much by my memory of the massive hype that was associated with OoT. I'm pretty sure we all feel nostalgia while playing old games, but does anyone else here get a twinge while waiting for one?

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2004, 04:23:05 PM »
Wow, I cant believe some people think the Spaceworld demo Link is better.  I think the new Link model looks way tougher.  Anyway, as for games slipping in quality, its all a matter of opinion.  My favorite game of all time is Zelda OoT, but do I think Zelda WW was of lesser quality?  Absolutely not.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Morien

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2004, 09:35:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Caillan
On a side note, does anyone else think they should cut down the number of Zelda games being released?

NOO!
I missed out on the Oracle series and it may just be me, but when I think of the Zelda games I never think of Four Swords.

2 per console is good, but they need to be long. Wind Waker was a great game, but it ended too soon IMO. It would take a lot longer for me to get 100% but I've never been a game completionist, I just finish it.
What would be really good is a world much much larger than in Ocarina of Time, so I could play it for weeks and still not completley cover the map. (Warp portals or similar would be needed ofcourse).

I hope they do up the graphics a bit from those pics tho (they still need to add the life meter, etc so they may still do some upgrading). The graphics looked a bit jaggered and the big green guy looks rather..... well I hope they up the graphics a bit

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2004, 10:32:44 AM »
Some things can slip in quality.

Zelda can't.

Mario can't.

Nintendo can't.

Groening can't.

They can just make some mistakes is all.  :-D

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »
"Groening can't."

Sure.  And I just imagined the incredibly unwatchable tripe that the Simpsons has been since like 1997 or so.  But then maybe I did since no one but me seems to have noticed.

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2004, 12:00:02 PM »
Ha.

I actually think some of the newer episodes are better...maybe not as funny, but I've had my share of laughs with them, and they actually have a storyline, other than some of the older episodes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »
Well if you're disappointed with Simpsons go watch Family Guy.
I'd say Family Guy's got a good 2 to 3 years before the quality dies.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2004, 07:54:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Caillan
I hope they do up the graphics a bit from those pics tho (they still need to add the life meter, etc so they may still do some upgrading). The graphics looked a bit jaggered and the big green guy looks rather..... well I hope they up the graphics a bit

Those are still shots.  Of course they'll look slightly jagged.  As for the 'big green guy', he'll look much better in motion.

Just watch the E3 trailer and you'll see how good the graphics are already.

Offline Golden Maven

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2004, 08:05:20 PM »
"Groening can't." Right... I hope you were joking.

Anyway, while I am looking forward to this new Zelda, I don't expect anything amazing. I expect yet another great Zelda title, yes, but nothing ground-breaking, since it will simply use an updated version of OoT's engine instead of a brand new one. At best, maybe it will get more people interested in Nintendo again with these "cool graphics" instead of the cel-shading. But don't expect a OoT-type bang.

Same as WW, really. Great game, I love it, but it just didn't have the same impact on me as OoT did. OoT brought something new to the table by successfully taking Zelda to 3D and had a brand new engine and style of play we never tried before. WW uses the same engine with a few tweaks, so it's just another 3D Zelda game with another story and art style. The game is great, just not ground-breaking like OoT. It didn't do anything special.

Come to think of it, I don't see what innovation the Gamecube brought for Nintendo's existing franchises, unlike the N64 which certainly did with the transistion from 2D to 3D.

I think Nintendo should have saved this new Zelda for the Revolution and get innovative by introducing something new. I'd like to see them build a new engine from scratch instead of using an updated version of OoT's. After reading their comments about the Revolution though, I do expect something big from Nintendo once it comes out.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2004, 11:54:37 PM »
Uh, it's not an updated version of OoTs engine, if it's an updated version of anything it's updated from Wind Waker...

There will be a Zelda game on Revolution, isn't that obvious? Let's just look forward to the upcoming one on GameCube, since you know, we all have GC's and Revolution doesn't even exist yet.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2004, 04:33:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Golden Maven
Same as WW, really. Great game, I love it, but it just didn't have the same impact on me as OoT did. OoT brought something new to the table by successfully taking Zelda to 3D and had a brand new engine and style of play we never tried before. WW uses the same engine with a few tweaks, so it's just another 3D Zelda game with another story and art style. The game is great, just not ground-breaking like OoT. It didn't do anything special.

Come to think of it, I don't see what innovation the Gamecube brought for Nintendo's existing franchises, unlike the N64 which certainly did with the transistion from 2D to 3D.

I think Nintendo should have saved this new Zelda for the Revolution and get innovative by introducing something new. I'd like to see them build a new engine from scratch instead of using an updated version of OoT's. After reading their comments about the Revolution though, I do expect something big from Nintendo once it comes out.

Why are you talking like this game is already out and you've beaten it?

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2004, 04:36:54 AM »
He played it in HIS MIND!

Come to think of it, I don't see what innovation the Gamecube brought for Nintendo's existing franchises

Then I'm sure glad you don't work for Ninty...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2004, 07:37:43 AM »

I'd say Family Guy's got a good 2 to 3 years before the quality dies.

It would be rather difficult to dip in quality when it never had any to begin with. </derail>

I think the only places left to innovate are control and concept.  Graphics can only get slightly better.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2004, 11:12:16 AM »
Wow you're the only person I've ever met who's said anything negative about Family Guy. I'm not kidding or exaggerating either. Everyone I know (including me) loves Family Guy.

Offline Golden Maven

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2004, 12:31:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Uh, it's not an updated version of OoTs engine, if it's an updated version of anything it's updated from Wind Waker...

There will be a Zelda game on Revolution, isn't that obvious? Let's just look forward to the upcoming one on GameCube, since you know, we all have GC's and Revolution doesn't even exist yet.

It all comes back to OoT...

Anyway, I know there will be a Zelda on the Revolution. My point was, I would have liked to have one as a launch title. I'm not saying anything bad about this next Zelda anyway, I'm sure it will be great, but I don't expect it to be OoT great. That's all I'm saying.

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2004, 02:03:39 PM »
We all know by now that Revolution will not be "sitting in front of the TV with a controller," as Nintendo has called the norm, and has announced that will not be so for Revolution...

Then how?  I think mostly everyone is thinking a virtual reality concept now...would that work for Zelda?  That'd be kinda cool, actually...hmmm...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Golden Maven

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2004, 03:42:48 PM »
Virtual Reality? I'd love that. Been waiting for decent VR since I was a little kid...

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2004, 04:13:04 PM »

Metroid?

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 01:35:35 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps

Metroid?

And GC/GBA connectivity, though everyone bitched about it...Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2004, 02:31:51 AM »
Well GC/GBA connectivity isn't innovation that the gamecube, itself, brought brought to Nintendo's franchises is it?  And name a first part GC/GBA that was innovative.  I think SA2: B and FF:CC, even though I didn't like it, were the most 'innovative' connectivity feature.
EDIT: Scratch that, the SA2 system was in place before GBA even came out and outdone by the first round of Pokemon Stadium games, and FF:CC was just a crappy bastardization of Four Sword for GBA and PSO.  I forgot about Four Swords Adventures, but it is essentially Four Swords, since you still need for GBAs but the game is a gamecube game.  I fail to see the innovation.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2004, 03:17:30 AM »
N64/GB connectivity with Pokemon has been more useful and fun to me so far than any GBA/GC connectivity game.

Anyway, Zelda rocks, I hope this new one isn't too easy like the 3D ones have been lately, I just went back and played the original Legend of Zelda on NES and damn it's hard, but I love it!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2004, 03:23:22 AM »
I like GBA/GC Connecitivity with Mario Golf, so die.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2004, 05:57:05 PM »
this game is already the best game of all time.  i have a feeling it will be delayed though.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine