Author Topic: Professor Layton and the Curious Village  (Read 46152 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »
ah, but other puzzles give you extra info... It's not that it was extra hard.  Just vague.  After you get it wrong the first time they give you a little extra info.  ie: As far as I'm concerned 4 is a valid solution for #76.  There are several like that.  Still, several out of the number included in the game isn't bad.  I was just making an observation about the game.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
The matchstick puzzles were awful.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
ah, but other puzzles give you extra info... It's not that it was extra hard.  Just vague.  After you get it wrong the first time they give you a little extra info.  ie: As far as I'm concerned 4 is a valid solution for #76.  There are several like that.  Still, several out of the number included in the game isn't bad.  I was just making an observation about the game.

Sorry, but can you please explain why you think 4 is a valid answer?  I'm looking at it right now, but don't see how it can work.  Thx....
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »

Sorry, but can you please explain why you think 4 is a valid answer?  I'm looking at it right now, but don't see how it can work.  Thx....

You can make a square, it just isn't "solid".  You could also say that 18 were a valid answer which outlines a square in tiles and is still less than the official solution.  Incidentally, I got the puzzle right after the 3rd try... as there's only so many ways to approach this issue :)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »

awful as too easy or too hard? I loved those puzzles.

I still haven't tried wi-fi, is there some sort of time limit for it? or can I access all previous puzzles?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »

More like awesome...I love matchstick puzzles... :cool;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

awful as too easy or too hard? I loved those puzzles.

I still haven't tried wi-fi, is there some sort of time limit for it? or can I access all previous puzzles?

There's no limit - you can get them all whenever.

Also, for the matchstick puzzles, some were way too easy and I'm sure most people had done them before, but some were just dumb (e.g. the dog after it got hit by a car).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
The dog that got hit by a car one took me 20 solid minutes of thinking before I figured it out.  I thought it was a great puzzle. 

This is when the forums were down, so Evan (who had just gotten his review copy) and I were playing through simultaneously in the chat room, and we found that the puzzles I had an easy time with (like the one at the beginning with the scale and the weights) were very hard for him and the ones he breezed through (like the dog-matchstick puzzle) took me forever.  It was really quite interesting to see how differently our brains work.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
Amount of time is not directly proportional to the amount of fun to me though... I figured out the chess ones and the weight ones in relative short order, and loved them.  It took me FOREVER to get the dog hit by a car one b/c I thought I had the solution.  What I had done was take two of the legs to the top, but didn't rotate them correctly - I mean it just got ran over by a car!  What difference does the rotation make!  The game didn't like that as an answer, so I wasn't quite sure what it wanted.  I HATED that puzzle.

I think what makes a good puzzle to a particular person is how that puzzle engages your mind as your trying to solve it.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
I did the dog hit by a car in less than 20 seconds, but for some reason the match had to be in the correct orientation (the match's head close to the body, not the opposite) and it told me I was wrong, that pissed me off.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
Ok, I just beat the game and found/solved 119/119 puzzles, although my list seems to go to 120 and I can't see any gaps.

I'm also missing a gizmo ... and the house of puzzles is empty.  How is that possible?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
How is that possible?
you've missed a puzzle.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
The house of puzzles only contains puzzles that have disappeared from the story line.  The puzzle you have missed must still be available.  Chances are it's a hidden puzzle.  Go through your list very carefully and make sure you've beaten every one in there.  It's probably one that you found, but didn't beat and forgot to come back to.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
You should have got all the gizmos fairly early if you beat all of the puzzles you encountered.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2008, 01:55:09 AM »
The house of puzzles only contains puzzles that have disappeared from the story line.  The puzzle you have missed must still be available.  Chances are it's a hidden puzzle.  Go through your list very carefully and make sure you've beaten every one in there.  It's probably one that you found, but didn't beat and forgot to come back to.

Indeed, i checked ... one by one, and was missing 32.  Which I guess is available for the whole game at any time.  The price for completing the gizmo dog was I'm sure lost though... he give you leads??  Well that was no good when it's the 120/120 puzzle! :)

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
The price for completing the gizmo dog was I'm sure lost though... he give you leads??

The once completed, the gizmo will show you where hint coins are located if you don't touch the screen for a few seconds.  Very handy, if you don't enjoy tapping every square centimeter of your screen.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
The price for completing the gizmo dog was I'm sure lost though... he give you leads??

The once completed, the gizmo will show you where hint coins are located if you don't touch the screen for a few seconds.  Very handy, if you don't enjoy tapping every square centimeter of your screen.

Well THAT would have been handy...  especially since I didn't enjoy tapping every square mm of the screen.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2008, 10:51:10 AM »
Well just beat all 135 puzzles, the last few were tough! After finishing it, in hindsight, I really loved the game with the only annoyance being that some of the puzzles are so obtuse that figuring them out is really a stretch. OTTF anyone?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
OTTF wasn't too difficult.

The only one that really got me was the Chocolate Code one.  That one sucked.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2008, 12:39:41 PM »
The Chocolate Code was so incredibly clever, though understandably difficult if you aren't technologically-inclined...(Which you shouldn't be... :))
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »
OTTF wasn't too difficult.

The only one that really got me was the Chocolate Code one.  That one sucked.

The chocolate code one forced me to use hint coins, which I really didn't do for any of the puzzles, so I agree that one did suck.

I think the OTTF one really threw me off because I read into it too much. The rest of the letters seemed to fit another pattern involving the number of letters between each letter, and due to that I totally overlooked the very basic premise of the puzzle. The few puzzles out there of that nature though sucked.

I also had a tendency to not read the entire instruction set so I would sit there for waaaay too long on some puzzles because I wasn't obeying the rules.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
OTTF took me a while, too.  All of the find-the-next-sequence-in-a-pattern ones did.

PRINCESS IN A BOX 3 ROYALLY SUCKED, TOO.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »
PRINCESS IN A BOX 3 ROYALLY SUCKED, TOO.

TRUTH
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
Yeah, I didn't care for the Princess in a Box puzzles at all.

As for Chocolate code, the main issue was that the bite marks weren't very noticeable, IMHO.  I saw a screen of the Japanese original and they're much more noticeable in it.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
The worst part was I noticed the bite marks right away but couldn't figure out what they meant.  After a long while I unlocked the first hint which mentioned that the girl suffered from "texting thumb".  At that point, I thought the letters lined up with the numbers on a phone key pad, and spent a long while without getting anywhere.  By the time I unlocked the next hint that told me to look at my keyboard I had completely forgotten about the bite marks, and spent the next half hour getting nowhere.