Author Topic: The solution to data migration for people wanting a Black Wii...  (Read 5404 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
...doesn't actually exist (sorry!) - but Nintendo needs to do basically exactly what Microsoft did when they released bigger HDDs. Anyway, they just need to release a USB A to USB A cable coupled with 2 DVDs (one for each Wii) that lets you move your content from your old Wii to your new Wii. It would install a file on both conoles - one for the old one that let's the Wii know that it's data has been moved to the new Wii, so that it cannot be transferred again, and one for the new Wii to let it know where the data came from originally, so that it can't receive data from another Wii. They could also implement the same online system where you can do this once a year (without calling customer service) and you could also redownload all of your Wii Shop Channel purchases this way (connect with the old Wii, make a request on the Wii Shop Channel page setup just for this process - it would give you a code to right down, then you turn off that Wii, connect the new one, connect to the Wii Shop Channel and input the code you were given, and voila - you get your purchase history transferred to your new Wii).

It's really rather simple, they just need to get on it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: The solution to data migration for people wanting a Black Wii...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:47:21 AM »
I forgot to mention if you install the homebrew channel on both of your Wii systems, you can already do this without Nintendo's help.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
Physical cables/discs seem unnecessary.  The Wii doesn't have much space to begin with, so it could be done wirelessly or through SD card.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
Physical cables/discs seem unnecessary.  The Wii doesn't have much space to begin with, so it could be done wirelessly or through SD card.
Exactly.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
As if Nintendo would bother to make it easy to transfer private system information.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »
It doesn't need to be easy.  Just possible.  If it were up to me, I'd require the Wiis both be online (if your Wii isn't online, you probably don't have much to transfer), and have the transfer authenticated by Nintendo servers.  Record the transfer so that future attempts to copy the same Wii can be blocked.  Just for good measure, go ahead and nuke the first Wii's data and access rights afterward.  That last function is already built in, I think, and using it would prevent people from duplicating a Wii more than once even if they spoofed the authorization somehow.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »
I hope Nintendo at the very least ties your purchases to an account(My Nintendo) so that we can avoid this amateur oversight next time around.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
They won't.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
I hope Nintendo at the very least ties your purchases to an account(My Nintendo) so that we can avoid this amateur oversight next time around.
They already do.  The question is whether they will ever do anything useful with that info.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
They already do.  The question is whether they will ever do anything useful with that info.
Well, right now they tie the purchase to the system as you don't need to have an account to buy stuff. It's only for the people that have an account do they actually track what you have by your account.

If you got online to buy something, it would've only taken a minute or two to make a My Nintendo account and avoid this whole mess.

But you already know what I meant.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
I just wonder where everything broke down.  The whole shop system was designed to handle a lot more than what's currently being used.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:27 PM »
I'm not sure there was a break down; I seriously just think Nintendo wants the willing to pay for the privilege to play games again.   

I also don't think they have plans to allow people to transfer their purchases to their next console;  whether consumer outcry is enough to make them change that policy remains to be seen.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:30:42 AM »
Nintendo already has an easy solution.  They already tie your purchases to your My Nintendo account.  All they have to do is update that system.  If a game is tied to a current Wii then they need to make a way to release that connection to that wii and link it to another Wii.  Simple.  Then when you start up your Wii go to Wii Store and an update could say download all games or something.

Simple.

Then the old Wii with an update will say those old games are unplayable.  Granted this would be a better solution when building into the 3DS or Wii 2...but could be done now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »
Nintendo already has an easy solution.  They already tie your purchases to your My Nintendo account.  All they have to do is update that system.  If a game is tied to a current Wii then they need to make a way to release that connection to that wii and link it to another Wii.  Simple.  Then when you start up your Wii go to Wii Store and an update could say download all games or something.

Simple.

Then the old Wii with an update will say those old games are unplayable.  Granted this would be a better solution when building into the 3DS or Wii 2...but could be done now.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31459.msg613039#msg613039

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »
Just got a Black Wii and I have 2 white Wiis that are giving me problems.

One has 2 WiiWare games on it I want to put on the Black Wii and the other has 4-5 VC games I want to move to the Black Wii.

Now I'm taking bets on whether I can get both(White Wiis) contents moved to the Black Wii, Content from one(White Wii) to the Black Wii, from one White Wii to the other White Wii or do I get shut down entirely.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »

One has 2 WiiWare games on it I want to put on the Black Wii and the other has 4-5 VC games I want to move to the Black Wii.

Now I'm taking bets on whether I can get both(White Wiis) contents moved to the Black Wii, Content from one(White Wii) to the Black Wii, from one White Wii to the other White Wii or do I get shut down entirely.
Good luck on all of that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:11 PM »

Good luck on all of that.

Don't wanna pick an outcome?

1.) Success - All White Wii content moved to Black Wii
2.) Sorta Success - Content from one White Wii to the Black Wii
3.) Compromise - All White Wii content moved to one White Wii
4.) FAILURE - I Get NOTHING!!! Rebuy or go cry somewhere else.

EDIT:
The call has been made, the request has been submitted, and the waiting game has begun.

#2 is looking a lot more likely than 1 or 3, but 4 is still looking like the most likely outcome.
The Nintendo Rep on the phone was nice and understood my situation and was willing to put in a little extra work to get me what I wanted. Now i wait for a call back from the repair team to see if they're willing to oblige.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:54:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
If all else fails, there's always homebrew, which can be used to copy the entire internal memory of one Wii system onto another Wii system.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
I just want bits an pieces. Can I do homebrew from a USB micro SD card adapter?