Author Topic: Sonic & the Secret Rings and Black Knight: What's the appeal?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sonic & the Secret Rings and Black Knight: What's the appeal?
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
My passion for platformers that aren't 2D has been reinvigorated for some strange reason, and I'm very much planning on playing through Sonic's legitimate forays into this genre.

However, I don't know if I'd classify the Storybook series in this category. It seems like all the player can control is whether Sonic moves left or right and when he jumps, and this doesn't really sound appealing to me.

So for those of you who like the games, defend their honor! Where does the enjoyment lie? I've never played either game, and if they take auto-play even further than Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush than I'm probably going to skip them.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic & the Secret Rings and Black Knight: What's the appeal?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:00:52 AM »
When I played through this game I did so in 2007 and like it enough to buy a copy and get Black Knight Day one.  Black Knight some things but broke the controls for me.  Though I did "beat" it.  I still by another story book sonic game.

That being said I wrote a somewhat extensive review on it.  I re-read it and its still my feelings on this game.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »
I still need to pick up Secret Rings but I can speak for Black Knight. In Black Knight you do have different paths you can take in the stages and the combat is pretty fun but it isn't forced at least the normal enemies. I think there was a trading aspect of the game for online but I really didn't delve into it that much.
I haven't played many of the handheld Sonic games but if you mean if the game is something you can just run through real quick then it depends on your play style. If you want to work on upgrading and the like then it can take a while or ir can take lesser time if you just want to experence the levels and bosses but you may have some troubles with the later levels.

If you want to try out the other 3D Sonic games I'd try out Sonic Colors. I just finished it a few days ago and it was outstanding. It is just below Sonic 2 for my favorate Sonic game. It is my favorite 3D Sonic game though. I heard Sonic Generations was pretty good too.By that I mean the console versions since you are after the 3D versions of Sonic's games. Unleased is okay if you don't mind half of your game being a beat em up.The other half is just Pure Sonic speed.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:58 AM »
I played through about 2 hours of Secret Rings. Got bored of it, and i found the jumping mechanic needs a forceful waggle to work correctly. So much of that and my shoulder/neck hurt.

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
Thanks for your responses! That's interesting that there's a level up feature. And yes, that review from when Sonic and the Secret Rings first came out is very helpful.

I'm still on the fence about the Storybook games, but currently here are the games that based on what I've gathered I'd consider true 3D platformers in the Sonic series (some better than others, of course):

Sonic Jam (albeit on a much smaller scale)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors

I've also excluded Sonic 3D Blast - it's funny how many times video game marketers have redefined "3D" in their solicits.

If anyone has any suggestions for the list, feel free to make them! And please continue to discuss the Secret Rings and the Black Knight, as my mind isn't made up completely.

Right now, I'm thinking when I get to that point chronologically in my gaming, I'll rent the games and see how they play first-hand.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
As I said in my Review with Secret Ring.  If you rent it do so at least twice because, the controls take stepping away and unlocking some of the upgrades to actually get to be right.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
I have been a Sonic fan since the first blast was processed and I LOVE the Storybook series.  It's true that the games are more like "rail platformers" than true platformers.  But there are still harrowing jumps to make and bits of exploration to figure out.

I didn't like the controls in SR but as Ceric said, you can acquire a skill for them eventually.  As for BK, it just plays so fast and smooth... it was so much fun.  I went out and bought a BK figurine of Sonic... it's on my nerd shelf =P

But yea, nothing really beats Sonic Colors for a modern Sonic game... imho.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a BK Figure but I would love to have one of Sonic with the Ring and the fire coming out of his chest.  I have a Gamestop around me that is still using that Promo Image as 1 wall of the outside of there store.  Another outside of the store has a big Mario Galaxy Promo on it.  Go figure.

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
Yeah, the whole rail platformer basis is what's put me off to these games thus far. Thanks for your recommendations and advice!

The Storybook series Sonic incarnations would make for fantastic action figures, I'd imagine.