Author Topic: One Piece - The story you'll be surprised you ignored  (Read 10862 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
One Piece - The story you'll be surprised you ignored
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »
I know many of you refuse to even attempt the colossal giant that is One Piece, but for the few of us here who actually read it, it will be nice to discuss it with out fatiot tubman's interrupting us.

For those who read other comics American or Japanese I just want you to think about a few things. 

How many times have you felt burned when a character dies only to be reborn more powerful than one could possibly imagine? 

How did you feel when your story took a creative turn and basically went back to zero in an effort to remove months or even years of story as if it were all a dream?

When was the last time a comic book made you cry without killing a character?

What story have you read were the laws established from day one have carried on til the present?

Do you have a story that you feel rewards you for reading on?

Do you have a comic that you feel is leading to an ultimate goal, or does it just seem endless?

If you've had to worry about these things with your Narutos or Spider-Men, then I suggest you take a peak at one piece.

By the time it's over it will probably have a bit over 1,000 chapters, but boy oh boy is the ride fantastic! When you fall in love with it, it doesn't feel like a chore that needs to be read just because. You'll be grateful for the amount of story there is.

http://www.mangareader.net/103/one-piece.html

Some translations are really old. But you can find very good english translations in your local book store!

Ok Caliban! How about Jinbei huh? I knew what the blood transfusion was leading to, I didn't think it would be  Jinbei though! And the narration at the end about racism fading? Man I got all teary eyed. To think this has been set up since chapter 69! 

Sorry about Shirahoshi but she had no chance. She couldn't fit in the aquarium on the Sunny. And despite the sea kings, she would be technically weaker than Usopp, a dynamic Oda would not play with.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:42:36 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: One Piece - The story you'll be surprised you ignored
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »
I've always meant to pick up One Piece. Fellow staffer Andrew Brown is sending me an awesome Nami figure, and I'd like to know more about the character.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:33:16 AM »
Awesome Halbred! I love giving One Piece volumes as gifts. Maybe I will secret santa you a few volumes this year.

I have a deeply rooted love for the series. The world is seriously alive, and the characters keep traveling on that map to their final destination. There is an amazing world full all kinds of cultures! Even a chain chomp for us mario lovers!

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Ok Caliban! How about Jinbei huh? I knew what the blood transfusion was leading to, I didn't think it would be  Jinbei though! And the narration at the end about racism fading? Man I got all teary eyed. To think this has been set up since chapter 69! 

Sorry about Shirahoshi but she had no chance. She couldn't fit in the aquarium on the Sunny. And despite the sea kings, she would be technically weaker than Usopp, a dynamic Oda would not play with.

Yes, that how awesome Oda is i.e. setting things up way into the future. You know what that means... we're going to get a fucking visit to Giant Island at one point or another, HELL YEAH!

I would have never thought that Jinbe might be the next crewman. He was a shichibukai, and he's very powerful, and I have yet to see what position he's going to fill in as a crewman because they've got the navigator, swordsman (1st mate), cook, musician, archaeologist, medic, shipwright, sniper, and the captain.

I can see your logic for Shirahoshi not being a part of the crew. After all Luffy is friends with the Kraken, so that's just as awesome.

I have been debating Jinbei joining as far back as the war. It became very clear once Tiger died and Jinbei said "now what to call this plan?"

Quote from: Caterkiller
I had a big debate about it at AX. No one would listen to my logic, I wish I could see their faces now! I didn't like Jinbei at first but I could see how Oda set him up like past crew members. Along with things like his past "crew" that never existed outside the flash back, his power level being too high, it all came to me just like I thought.

I want to know what your logic was.

I've always meant to pick up One Piece. Fellow staffer Andrew Brown is sending me an awesome Nami figure, and I'd like to know more about the character.

Nami's the navigator. Her dream is to chart the whole world of One Piece. She loves treasure/money, and is also responsible for the ship's budget. Her weapon of choice is a staff, which then later got upgraded into a staff that could be broken into three parts which would allow her to control/create the weather at a localized level. In the 2 years of training that the crew was forced upon she got sent to Weatheria (one of many sky islands) where she learned everything she could about the New World in regards to navigation, weather, and types of islands so that she would not let down her crewman into the New World.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:42:10 PM by Caliban »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
So here is the thought process Caliban regarding Jinbei.

When he was mentioned as far back as chapter 69 I knew he would be totally different from Arlong. As a matter of fact  I figured they would be exact opposites, considering what Johnny described when he join the ranks of War Lord. Flash forward to Impel Down and the war.

Jinbei was definitely a step above Luffy in power and experience, at that time I don't doubt Luffy could have beat him in a full on fight, but he would completely over shadow the rest of the crew. Of course the time skip fixed that. More on that in moment.

Luffy marveled somewhat at Jinbei's ability to call whale sharks. Not like he does with Franky's gear but he was impressed. Slight evidence. Jinbei's interactions with Ace and him wanting Jinbei to take care of Luffy was pretty heavy. Still though it didn't mean follow him around but it was slight evidence. After the war Jinbei helped Luffy snap out of his depressive funk, huge significant character interaction.

Now when it really started to come together was when they met at Fishman Island. Jinbei displayed face faults. Him, Sanji and Luffy knocking each other out like that was pure Straw Hat material. His reaction to Nami's forgiveness and his conversation with Sanji was more great Straw Hat interaction. Luffy fell asleep during his back story, Luffy knows nothing of his crew mates history aside from very basic details. Though that is not really evidence it is consistent with the past.

Oda decided to explain Fishman Karate. Jinbei is no long allowed on FI and his entire crew is completely gone, probably gone as far back as the war. Seeing how as only 1 of his crew was named, the rest fodder, and everyone else Macro and Arlong had clear paths after their dealings with Jinbei. His mentor died and Jinbei was still fighting with him self over who chose the right path, Otohime or Tiger. Luffy would obviously show him the way.

Now real evidence. Jinbei's personality starts to emerge. If you notice he over does everything, to the point that it can cost him his life. While detailing his plan, he could not finish it until it had a name. Classic quirk building for a Straw Hat. The chapter titled 10 vs 100,000 included Jinbei among the SHs. The only other time that has ever happened was  the chapter titled 3/8, which included Brook in the SH count.

Jinbe appeared in a battle ready cover in volume 64 among the crew. The first time this happened was Franky in Volume 43, he joined 2 volumes later. The second time this happened was Brook in volume 49 he joined 2 volumes later. There are slight differences between the covers but the general theme, of ALL the straw hats are there ready for battle. No Robin in 43 as she was being rescued.

Oda teamed up Jinbei and Sanji vs Wadatsumi clearly to show that the monster trio was just as capable as an ex war lord. As martial artist go Jinbei could be a beast in the water and great on land. Sanji would be a beast on land and great in the water. Plus the fire and water really compliment each other.

OK thats enough for now.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
"Luffy could have beat him in a full on fight'

Actually Luffy still has a huge weakness at that point--sea salt.  Two, Luffy is pretty damn dense so getting him near the ocean isn't all that challenging.  My money would have been on Jinbei.

Love the battle between Luffy vs Oz'Luffy. :)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Ah, I see. You were following Oda's patterns haha, I can see why you reached such conclusion.

Jinbei was definitely a step above Luffy in power and experience, at that time I don't doubt Luffy could have beat him in a full on fight, but he would completely over shadow the rest of the crew. Of course the time skip fixed that. More on that in moment.

Whoa, hold on. You think Luffy was strong enough before the time skip to beat Jinbei? I somehow doubt that.

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
I agree that the series is very consistent - in fact, One Piece is my favorite manga currently running. My favorite finished one is Yu-Gi-Oh! (original series). I wish both of those would get the Viz Big treatment.

I'm glad Oda did the time skip. I think some comics go overboard with constantly powering up their protagonists so they can fight progressively tougher enemies, but having just one big spurt which puts Luffy almost on the same level as his more formidable enemies is fine - especially after an event as massive as Paramount War.

I'd like to read more of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z and Ultimate Muscle series as well but I don't want to read something that's been heavily doctored from its intended form... Which I know Ultimate Muscle is and Dragon Ball is somewhat in their English volumes. Plus, I'd like to read the original Ultimate Muscle series before the new generation.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
I've watched plenty of anime but i havent gotten around to reading much manga, right now i have the one piece anime in my queue (havent started) should i forget that and go with the manga?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
I've watched plenty of anime but i havent gotten around to reading much manga, right now i have the one piece anime in my queue (havent started) should i forget that and go with the manga?

Do both. The anime is pretty close to the manga.

As for Jinbei VS Luffy here is my logic. Luffy had proven himself against 2 war lords, and Rob Lucci, someone that Kuma would have never seen defeated. At that point I'm sure Luffy could handle himself against Jinbei. I figure if they did fight it would have been extremely close, where they are basically evenly matched. Still though VS arguments are for losers. Just saying pre time skip Luffy could have been considered a war lord himself. So I don't doubt he could have handled himself VS Jinbei, on land anyway.

Looking forward to future crew interaction with Jinbei, I hope he gravitates towards Nami. But I see him and Zoro being really close as well.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
Nami's the navigator. Her dream is to chart the whole world of One Piece. She loves treasure/money, and is also responsible for the ship's budget. Her weapon of choice is a staff, which then later got upgraded into a staff that could be broken into three parts which would allow her to control/create the weather at a localized level. In the 2 years of training that the crew was forced upon she got sent to Weatheria (one of many sky islands) where she learned everything she could about the New World in regards to navigation, weather, and types of islands so that she would not let down her crewman into the New World.

She's also -- if this figure is any indication -- hawt.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »

She's also -- if this figure is any indication -- hawt.

You haven't seen the mermaids yet... not to mention the mermaid princess, but she's just jail bait.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »
Hey did you guys read the SBS in volume 64? Oda mentions a big incident happened during the last 2 years and he can't wait to draw it. Any theories? My guess is after Aokiji was nominated for Fleet Admiral it went to Akainu instead, which caused a major divide among the marines. 

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
Hey did you guys read the SBS in volume 64? Oda mentions a big incident happened during the last 2 years and he can't wait to draw it. Any theories? My guess is after Aokiji was nominated for Fleet Admiral it went to Akainu instead, which caused a major divide among the marines. 

Yeah even though Sengoku wanted Aokiji, I'd imagine the people running the World Government would prefer a ruthless leader like Akainu who killed the son of the former Pirate King and burned off half of Whitebeards face on a live broadcast the entire world saw to fight pirates in this new age vs someone who has a reputation for being lazy and letting pirates go like Aokiji does.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
Maybe it's going be a filler that's going explain Zorro's eye?  He keeps it closed and there's an scar but what if he developed an "hawk eye instead"--wouldn't that be a shocker.

Also it might be that Dragon is on the move?  For an guy who's starting an revolution he sure is taking his sweet ass time.

And finally since Ace died they did a few fillers about another brother/friend of Luffy's named Sobo (or something like that) who supposedly died but Dragon saved him though I think they better of saying Sobo lost his memory or something because he never contacted Luffy or Ace after his rescue?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Maybe it's going be a filler that's going explain Zorro's eye?  He keeps it closed and there's an scar but what if he developed an "hawk eye instead"--wouldn't that be a shocker.

Also it might be that Dragon is on the move?  For an guy who's starting an revolution he sure is taking his sweet ass time.

And finally since Ace died they did a few fillers about another brother/friend of Luffy's named Sobo (or something like that) who supposedly died but Dragon saved him though I think they better of saying Sobo lost his memory or something because he never contacted Luffy or Ace after his rescue?

1 - Luffy is not weakened to sea salt or salt in any of its forms. You are mixing up zombies since they are a product of devil fruits. Only standing bodies of water are a DF users weakness. In Croc's case any droplet of water.

2 - No opening of the eye to reveal some new power. Zoro lost his eye, in all likely hood during his training and mostly because of pride and not backing down. No magic in this story aside from fruits and spirits of sailing ships.

3 - Dragon has been on the move since Vivi's flash back. We have confirmation of at least 2 areas in the world where has has taken over. The only reason we don't see him is because they just have not crossed paths yet.

4 - Aint no fillers! That is some real deal story in there. Who knows why Sabo has been quiet all this time, he could have been in hiding for years under cover as that is what Dragon explained to Ivankov and getting their members in order. But mostly, the king of Goa Kingdom being unseen with no name and why the Celestial Dragon's were visiting in the first place. Those 2 things are going to have major implications to the story. The Reverie is right around the corner and chances are we will see the King of Goa in full and find out what his agenda is.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »
The anime is catching up to the manga at quite a good pace. I wonder how they're going to stretch the content.

Don't know what Oda could possibly mean by a big incident, but I can't wait to see what it is.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
" Luffy is not weakened to sea salt or salt in any of its forms."  My bad, some of the anime had poor translations, instead of sea stone cuffs they stated sea salt cuffs--hense my confusion.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 03:22:55 AM »
Chapter 650 is almost here and man what a doozy!

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
Not much has happened, but they've explained a few things including the incident that Oda mentioned. Now that was surprising to know the aftermath. Also, I can't wait to see, and know about this character that supposedly will show up in chapter 651.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Not much has happened, but they've explained a few things including the incident that Oda mentioned. Now that was surprising to know the aftermath. Also, I can't wait to see, and know about this character that supposedly will show up in chapter 651.

Seems like 2 characters. Fishman Island is becoming a mega arc like Water 7/Enies Lobby. There were too many lose ends for it to end yesterday. All of this will lead to Jinbe's duty as well. So much awesome information!

Really funny too!

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »
2 characters? Big Mom, and who else?
For a moment there I thought that something was going to happen to Shirahoshi, and I'm glad Oda didn't decide to make it happen, and I hope that guy just dies or something because he's an annoying character.
So Robin now knows of one ancient weapon. It makes me wonder if the other 2 ancient weapons are also human.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
Big Mam's representatives, they were both named at the end. I honestly thought he was actually going to kidnap her and they would chase her up through the new world and back on top of the Red Line. But now I realize now that he knows she is an ancient weapon, him spreading that knowledge is even worse!

About the others, the one we knew about before has to be something built considering the blue prints franky had. I believe Crocodile even said a massive battle ship that was capable of destroying an entire island. But at this point the 3rd one could be anything!

Confirmed, Sanji and Zoro have Haki. There is no other way around it. Typical Oda light foreshadowing without making a big deal of the scene.

From my friend CCC.
Luffy: "There's a wild beast [or something like it] in this castle, isn't there?"
Sanji or Zoro (no way to tell which based on speech bubbles): "For sure... there's definitely something."

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
Big Mam's representatives, they were both named at the end.

D'oh. I just read the last page. I can't believe I missed that.

But now I realize now that he knows she is an ancient weapon, him spreading that knowledge is even worse!

Yup. That's bound to happen.

About the others, the one we knew about before has to be something built considering the blue prints franky had. I believe Crocodile even said a massive battle ship that was capable of destroying an entire island. But at this point the 3rd one could be anything!

I totally forgot about those blueprints. I imagine that One Piece could be all 3 ancient weapons put together as one.

Confirmed, Sanji and Zoro have Haki. There is no other way around it. Typical Oda light foreshadowing without making a big deal of the scene.

From my friend CCC.
Luffy: "There's a wild beast [or something like it] in this castle, isn't there?"
Sanji or Zoro (no way to tell which based on speech bubbles): "For sure... there's definitely something."

I noticed that part, and I too got suspicious about it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Latest chapter was epic. Loved every bit of it. I'm loving the character design for Big Mama's crew.