Author Topic: Fighting Games: JOIN THA WULFPACK  (Read 235973 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: FIGHTING GAMES THREAD: fine, buy that one
« Reply #550 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Yeah, hopefully they add more stuff that was missing in single player mode (galley mode) and maybe story mode for those Toro/Cole characters as well.  Right now you can't play those character is arcade mode at all.

I'm hoping for a huge update (like SSF4 was to the orginal) since the characters are already on disc.  More arcade endings and maybe a few hidden boss challenges.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #551 on: July 11, 2012, 04:23:33 AM »
I think it's corresponding with the unlocking of the "DLC" characters. I shan't be interested in more content if the fundamental parts of the game are still bad, but if they somehow magically fix everything, yeah, maybe I'll give them more money.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #552 on: July 16, 2012, 08:10:57 AM »
EVO stream 1 archive, including all the grand finals:

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1/videos

Capcom is putting out some more classic fightman games on XBL/PSN. MVC1 & Marvel Super Heroes are coming in a two-pack, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is also getting released.

Darkstalkers was hinted at at SDCC!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:52 AM »
FIGHTERPEDIA 13: A TRUE STORY

I was watching this live and got really hype when woolie took that first round

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »
MvC 2 is on sale on PSN for $5. 

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #555 on: July 20, 2012, 08:17:14 AM »
You can now eyeball Udon's Street Fighter comic free of charge!

http://streetfightercomics.com/

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #556 on: July 23, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
For those that have time to kill here is the latest build of Fighting is Magic.The EVO build.

The devs talk about the game and more about the 4 playable characters from the EVO build of Fighting is Magic. Twilght,Apple Jack,Rarity, and Pinkie Pie.

There was before the above livestream during EVO a livestream at EVO of people playing the build and not the devs. It went on for 6 hours.

Part 1.http://www.twitch.tv/fightinggamebronies/b/324039843 and part 2. http://www.twitch.tv/fightinggamebronies/b/324050456
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #557 on: July 24, 2012, 03:10:05 AM »
Nice. Are they gonna release it when Rainbow Dash is done? :faust:

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #558 on: July 24, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »
As far as I know yes. I know that there is going to be 17 characters on the roster and that those characters will be all from season 1. The Mane 6 will be the first 6 and and then the rest will be DLC. Also note that everything is free.

http://www.mane6.com/p/frequently-axed-questions.html there is the FAQ for the game.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #559 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:57 AM »
I would be happy for Darkstalkers 1 and 2 to get the virtual market treatment...so we can get to making a new one...those games were all kind of fun.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #560 on: July 25, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
Play them on GGPO :cool;

more edits: Darkstalkers collections came out for Dreamcast and PS2, but I believe they were Japan only...

edit: btw I was at a Japanese tournament last weekend! I got blown up on the stream! eggghh
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:38:40 AM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 25, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
In the style of fighting games and the Godzilla film series: Kaiju Combat!

It's just about guaranteed to miss its mark on Kickstarter, but the people involved will change their strategy. Anyone who contributes $5 now or when they launch another one in October at a goal of $100,000 will be able to discuss and influence the game as it's being made.

By the way, the people involved include game designer Simon Strange (Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, Godzilla: Save the Earth, Godzilla: Unleashed), artist Matt Frank (Godzilla Neo, some of the recent IDW Godzilla comics), and story writer(?) Chris Mirjahangir (former TohoKingdom.com staff member).

Being a big Godzilla and kaiju fan myself, this is a must. While the stuff they do first will be with original monsters, the plan is to get the rights to create a Godzilla version, and then possibly other licensed installments (Gamera!? Ultraman!? KAIJU BIG BATTEL!?).

I don't know how many of you Nintendo World Report users are giant monster fans, but I know I'm doing this:

EDIT: This article gives some good coverage. I forgot to mention that the current lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses is doing the score.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:27:26 PM by Squalid Pumpkin »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
Damn, that looks pretty cool.

Hey here is a big pile of good general strategy and mindset articles:
http://shoryuken.com/tag/lost-strategy-series/
and one more:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/726409/esports-spotlight-jay-snyder-becoming-a-champion/

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:15 PM »
I recently put down my pre-order on Persona 4 Arena so I've been keeping an eye on it.  Atlus recently released their last series of Move videos, and I have to admit there were a few things that bothered me:

1.  Apparently the game's turned from what seemed a fun, light fighting game for Persona fans into what seems a very technical fighter ala its sister series BlazBlue.  I like BlazBlue, but I'm not fond of what it's become as the Tourney fans took it over.  I really just wanted to sit back and enjoy seeing some of my favorite characters again, but it seems it's going to be as irritating to play as BlazBlue's become.  Hmm...

2.  I was a little disturbed watching Elizabeth's Moves video, as it looks like she actually has Instant Kill moves (Mamudoon and Mahamaon) built into her normal moves.  Granted, it does fit the character and the Persona she's using (Thanatos), but she seems extremely overpowered for a fighting game.  Plus, Naoto should logically have the same moves considering her Persona in Persona 4, yet the Moves video doesn't show her instantly killing anyone with Mudoon.

I'm still interested to see the game's story mode since that seems to be based off BlazBlue's, but I'm starting to wonder if the game's worth my pre-order now.  I'm a Persona 4 fan, but I didn't ask for a fighting game and it doesn't seem designed for me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:35:54 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »
She's not that overpowered as a "player" character.  She does have two instant kill move besides her ultimate but they are easy to counterattack and punish.  They "nerfed" her as a playable character by giving her the lowest health making it very balanced by the sounds of it.  If she misses her Kill shot, then she's the one that's most likely die.

My only gripe about Arc Works Persona Arena is the fact that AW in the past had multiple versions of the same game released.  Blazblue for example went though yearly changes where you had to buy the newest version to get the updates.

I'm still interested in the game but I'll most likely rent the game and wait and see how "updates" progress.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »
1.  Apparently the game's turned from what seemed a fun, light fighting game for Persona fans into what seems a very technical fighter ala its sister series BlazBlue.  I like BlazBlue, but I'm not fond of what it's become as the Tourney fans took it over.  I really just wanted to sit back and enjoy seeing some of my favorite characters again, but it seems it's going to be as irritating to play as BlazBlue's become.  Hmm...
I don't think being an Arc fan and wanting something non-technical is going to compute, ever. This game has to hang with the competition in Japanese arcades, etc. I mean, look at all the other games they've made (GG, BB, HnK).

Or maybe it's time to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get good at games instead of looking for crutches and handouts :smug:

2.  I was a little disturbed watching Elizabeth's Moves video, as it looks like she actually has Instant Kill moves (Mamudoon and Mahamaon) built into her normal moves.  Granted, it does fit the character and the Persona she's using (Thanatos), but she seems extremely overpowered for a fighting game.

Guilty Gear had instant kills too, but they were so difficult to land that they were pretty much useless. Elizibeth's moves look like they take *several seconds* to fire up, so I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to be hit by those if they've played the game ever.

HNK ON THE OTHER HAND, LOL

I'm still interested to see the game's story mode since that seems to be based off BlazBlue's, but I'm starting to wonder if the game's worth my pre-order now.  I'm a Persona 4 fan, but I didn't ask for a fighting game and it doesn't seem designed for me.
It's probably not for you, unless you're willing to change your mindset a bit. But hey at least it doesn't cost like a hundred dollars, like it does in Japan :(

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
Or maybe it's time to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get good at games instead of looking for crutches and handouts :smug:

Or maybe it's time for the fighting games to ditch their decades-old and antiquated control paradigms, which were neither designed for modern control inputs nor are not the least bit accessible.  But if they did that, then the fighting game community would have to get used to battles having an emphasis on strategy and timing over blunt memorization of convoluted Move Lists and input strings.

It's interesting that just about every gaming genre has adapted over the years to new audiences and new ideas except fighting games.

Guilty Gear had instant kills too, but they were so difficult to land that they were pretty much useless. Elizibeth's moves look like they take *several seconds* to fire up, so I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to be hit by those if they've played the game ever.

Well, if BlazBlue is any indication, I get the feeling there will be some kind of Hyper Cancel into the Instant Kill Moves that doesn't allow the opponent a chance to get out of the way in time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:53:54 AM by broodwars »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
Or maybe it's time for the fighting games to ditch their decades-old and antiquated control paradigms, which were neither designed for modern control inputs nor are not the least bit accessible.  But if they did that, then the fighting game community would have to get used to battles having an emphasis on strategy and timing over blunt memorization of convoluted Move Lists and input strings.
lol i trol u
Real talk though, I still agree with you that fightin' games shouldn't have ridiculous execution requirements. I just think we have different ideas about where to draw the line. I don't think motions need to be harder than a shoryuken or a half circle, really. I think you will benefit greatly from reading this:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/07/16/lost-strategy-series-the-role-of-execution-by-james-chen/
and then this
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/7/16/execution-in-fighting-games.html

bottom line is that moves *need* more than like, one-button inputs or the game actually becomes stupid. Can you imagine living in a nightmare world of one button shoryukens, and walkup flash kicks and SPDs? (WELL I GUESS 3DS OWNERS CAN LOL)
However, horsepoop like one-frame links actually does exclude people if you need them to play a character well.

But if they did that, then the fighting game community would have to get used to battles having an emphasis on strategy and timing over blunt memorization of convoluted Move Lists and input strings
This is terribly disingenuous, though. Do you think anybody who plays a character for more than a day doesn't know all the moves? Do you think all those tournament matches came down to who memorized the moves better? Most 2D fighter characters have like, 3-5 special moves and maybe as many super moves. I believe that you can handle that much.

It's interesting that just about every gaming genre has adapted over the years to new audiences and new ideas except fighting games.
Fighting games have evolved, you just refuse to see it. How are they so popular now? I gloat regularly of their success over point and click adventure games.

Well, if BlazBlue is any indication, I get the feeling there will be some kind of Hyper Cancel into the Instant Kill Moves that doesn't allow the opponent a chance to get out of the way in time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in BlazBlue, you can only do it on match point, opponent <35% life, full meter, have a burst, and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays? That kind of offsets things. I seriously wouldn't get too spooked about being instant killed in Persona. Maybe just in HnK  ;D

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in BlazBlue, you can only do it on match point, opponent <35% life, full meter, have a burst, and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

In a hurry, so I'll just address this one for the moment: In BlazBlue, you can only initiate your Astral Finisher if you have 100% Heat, you're in a Match Point situation, and your opponent has less than 35% health.  And those Astral Finishers as a whole require very specific distances and situations to hit the opponent (some even require that you're countering an opponent's attack).  By contrast, you can see that Elizabeth's attacks don't fully deplete her SP gauge, and it appears that those two attacks are just regular Special Moves.  I also don't see any Match Win markers under the HP gauges, so I don't think it's a Match Point situation.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Yeah but it looks like you have 3-5 seconds to block or hit her for free or whatever? I'm pretty certain it's a non-threat, even moreso than Guilty Gear.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »
Bunch of nerd talk going on in here. Needs more InJustice: gods among us

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #571 on: July 29, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Quote from: some guy on SA
Y'know how whenever you were 8 years old, you had the best idea for a game? You'd scribble down on paper all the character designs (fully detailed with your range of 16 colouring-in pencils), and the cool powers they had and when you started to think of how the game would actually play, you got bored and went back to playing Killer Instinct instead?

Ed Boon is living our childhood dreams.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 29, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Snobbery!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #573 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
*checks in to see if there's a Skullgirls patch yet*

*leaves, disappointed*
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #574 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
Oh ****, I didn't mention that I got to play the patched version for a couple hours and got to talk with a Reverge/Autumn guy for a long time too.  I went to a Japanese tournament weekend before last, and Mike Z sent his personal PS3 up apparently (because he owns).

There are like eight printed pages of patch notes, but the main stuff I noticed was:
- Lots of amusing new character colors
- IPS change means shorter combos
- You no longer have all day to OTG off of assists
- Noticable reduction of meter gain if you abuse the hell out of Peacock's item drop like I do
- Filia can cancel airball into airdash for inventive new combos and shenanigans
- I still don't play any other characters :brony

Also I found out a lot of stuff about the Japanese version release but I doubt you guys are falling all over yourselves to get in on that. Short version is they are talking to multiple publishers and an arcade version might be something on the table.