Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess  (Read 10386 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:IMPRESSIONS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »
Thank youfor spoiler free, controller centric impressions. You told me everything I wanted to know and the game is not ruined! Now we'll see how long I can hold out on reading the spoiler-filled versions here and across the internet.

However, I do have a question. Would you say TP's standard camera is better then that of the Wind Waker's? I started playing the game two days ago and I find myself using the free camera more then the standard stuff. Or maybe I should ask if it is better then OoT's?  

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 09:17:19 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Originally posted by: pap64
So, does this mean that Planet Gamecube are now believers or are there still some doubters among your ranks?

It seems that a lot of people are convinced about TP Wii.

I am willing to bet that Ian and Mantidor are still on the hate Zelda Wii bandwagon regardless of the great impressions pouring in from everywhere.

I was mainly talking about the Planet Gamecube editors, since they were the ones that cried foul THE MOST when they played the E3 demo, even giving it the worst of honors during the E3 awards.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: IMPRESSIONS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 09:25:54 AM »
I don't remember giving it the worst of honors at our awards?  Didn't we just call the two SKUs thing the worst surprise?

Several of us liked it and all of us were interested to see how it would turn out.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I don't remember giving it the worst of honors at our awards?  Didn't we just call the two SKUs thing the worst surprise?

Several of us liked it and all of us were interested to see how it would turn out.

You gave the absence of GBA and GC games the honor of worst surprise.

And I could've SWORN someone called TP the most disappointing game at E3...

Maybe I am thinking of one of the impressions/editorials. I DO remember one that was titled "The sad truth about Zelda on the Wii". Then there was another editorial about how the move to the Wii was a bad idea.

It was then that a HUGE argument started, with my opinion being that just because the E3 DEMO was unpolished didn't mean that the final game will be really bad, and from the looks of the impressions, time has proven my point.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
im a lefty and Pale makes a good point, i can't imagine using the right side to run, but then again poingitn with the right side doesnt sit well with me either. I guess lefties are fudged either way!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 10:09:48 AM »

with my opinion being that just because the E3 DEMO was unpolished didn't mean that the final game will be really bad, and from the looks of the impressions, time has proven my point.

Actually, time has proven my point: the controls needed to change or else the game was broken. Every journalist out there is now backpedaling to say "Well, the aiming at E3 did kinda suck, so I'm glad they fixed it." At E3, we had no knowledge that Nintendo had any intention of changing the controls, and the game was far from unpolished (as I said to you back then, it was the most polished E3 game other than Metroid). We are required to post our opinions, and the truth was that Zelda E3 controls were not good. Saying that an E3 Demo is "unpolished, therefore you can't give your opinion on it" is asinine. And at the time, we had Miyamoto saying publicly that he loved the controls, he didn't want Wii Remote sword swinging, and he couldn't go back to GC control. My opinion was that GC control would be far better, and it seems Nintendo agreed since they reworked both sword and aiming in the final game.

I haven't played the new version yet, so my opinion is not as important as Windy's or Pale's. They both gave positive impressions, but they both were pretty positive about Zelda at E3. It will be more interesting to see how Jonathan Metts and Aaron Kaluzka feel about it all.  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan

with my opinion being that just because the E3 DEMO was unpolished didn't mean that the final game will be really bad, and from the looks of the impressions, time has proven my point.

Actually, time has proven my point: the controls needed to change or else the game was broken. Every journalist out there is now backpedaling to say "Well, the aiming at E3 did kinda suck, so I'm glad they fixed it." At E3, we had no knowledge that Nintendo had any intention of changing the controls, and the game was far from unpolished (as I said to you back then, it was the most polished E3 game other than Metroid). We are required to post our opinions, and the truth was that Zelda E3 controls were not good. Saying that an E3 Demo is "unpolished, therefore you can't give your opinion on it" is asinine. And at the time, we had Miyamoto saying publicly that he loved the controls, he didn't want Wii Remote sword swinging, and he couldn't go back to GC control. My opinion was that GC control would be far better, and it seems Nintendo agreed since they reworked both sword and aiming in the final game.

I haven't played the new version yet, so my opinion is not as important as Windy's or Pale's. They both gave positive impressions, but they both were pretty positive about Zelda at E3. It will be more interesting to see how Jonathan Metts and Aaron Kaluzka feel about it all.

My point still stands, though. I NEVER said that you shouldn't express your opinions on the demo. What I said is that you shouldn't based your opinion on the ENTIRE game because of one unpolished demo. A comment like "The sad truth about Zelda on Wii" means that you are judging the potential of the final game on an unfinished demo. That's what I said. Had you said "The E3 demo did a very poor job of showing of what Zelda can do on the Wii, but hopefully Nintendo will pay attention and fix this before launch", then I wouldn't have said anything. But since the PGC editors kept on saying Zelda Wii was doomed, adding fuel to the non believers arguments, it showed to me that you guys were far too quick to pass judgment on the game, and now time and Nintendo has proved you wrong by delivering in the least one solid gaming experience.

And my point still stands. I said back during the big argument that Nintendo wasn't dumb. They knew that they had one of the biggest games this year on their hands, so they shouldn't mess it up. They were paying attention to the reactions at both E3 and on websites. They were paying close attention. In fact, as Smash_Brother mentioned before, E3 is like a big group test. They show off the games, get the reactions from people, then work on fixing the issues that plagued their games. Again, I'm willing to bet anything that Nintendo reps were there paying attention to the people that played, then gathered their information and passed it onto the developers. I posted that people should give Nintendo TIME to polish the game and make it ready for launch. You think Nintendo spent those six months after E3 doing nothing but whistling and twirling their thumbs?

So to sum up my point, I NEVER said that you shouldn't give your opinions on a demo, what I said is that don't be quick to judge the final product because the demo was unfinished, especially when dealing with a game like Twilight Princess and that Nintendo would take the time to fine tune the controls and the content, which from the looks of the impressions, they DID.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »

What I said is that you shouldn't based your opinion on the ENTIRE game because of one unpolished demo.

Agreed.

A comment like "The sad truth about Zelda on Wii" means that you are judging the potential of the final game on an unfinished demo.

Disagreed.

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Shin Gallon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »
I remain unconvinced, but will reserve judgement until I play it myself. Granted, I'm still rather apprehensive about the Wii control setup.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 11:04:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Shin Gallon
I remain unconvinced, but will reserve judgement until I play it myself. Granted, I'm still rather apprehensive about the Wii control setup.

Well I respect that you are at least open to them. One area I'm not completely convinced is sword fighting with the Wiimote since I play my games in my bedroom while laying down, so I'm not sure what impact that will have!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 08:03:17 AM »
I just really wish they'd left in an option to use Gamecube controls, in case you play the game and you utterly hate the Wii control setup. More options for the gamer is never a bad thing.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 08:04:31 AM »
Shin, that comment is so last month.  I don't want boring old controls mucking up my brand new Zelda game.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 09:55:58 AM »
And I don't want new controls I don't like mucking up MY new Zelda game, what's your point? You act as if giving us the option would have been this horrible disservice to mankind or something, when clearly it wouldn't have been. As I said, I'm going to try the Wii controls, but JUST IN CASE I don't like them, the option for GC controls would have been nice. As it is, if I dislike them, I'm left no recourse but to buy the Gamecube version instead. Poor option compared to the Wii version having both control schemes available, don't you think?

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
Instead of buying the Wii version and risk the chance of not liking the controls, why not rent it first?  That way, you can buy it if you don't like the controls, or you can wait for the cube version to come out.

I, like others on this board, am planning on getting both versions of the game.  Hopefully I can go back to aiming with the analog stick after having gotten used to the Wiipointer.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
I, like others on this board, am planning on getting both versions of the game.

Why on earth would you want to spend an extra $50 on what is essentially the exact same game?  It's fine that you can't decide on old controls vs. new controls, but don't waste the extra money on buying two copies of the same game.  At least rent one version or the other before deciding to commit halfahun dollars.  Outright buying both versions blindly is pure folly.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »
Left-handed Link.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
I, like others on this board, am planning on getting both versions of the game.

Why on earth would you want to spend an extra $50 on what is essentially the exact same game?  It's fine that you can't decide on old controls vs. new controls, but don't waste the extra money on buying two copies of the same game.  At least rent one version or the other before deciding to commit halfahun dollars.  Outright buying both versions blindly is pure folly.

Zelda fanatics for the win?

I'll probably be importing the GC version from Japan, and I'll use it to test out my language skills!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Zelda fanatics for the win?

Bill FTW!

I just want anything TP related.  I've got posters from magazines, magazine covers.  I'll be getting both versions of the game for the different gameplay experience.  I'm getting the standee. I'm also keeping the setup instructions!
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?