Author Topic: Mafia: Day Seven  (Read 17960 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Mafia: Endgame Everyone who played, feel free to post.
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »
Yeah, but the guess, while "wild", was apparently not a very good guess.  Why waste your kill on a fool?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »
I'm Bridget?!? I guess this is what I get for being sick today and missing the vote. . .
Oh well, at least I'm pretty and survived.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline breakyboy

• round the corner fudge is made
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
Good thought Aurion, but actually, I was doing my job.

I was killing townies.

My biggest mistake was killing off wandering so early, whom I took a guess at being a townie. He ended up being mafia. My best shot was keeping the mafia alive as long as possible without losing my place amongst Ty/Bill's group.

All that being said, I didn't like playing the SK very much. I have far too much of a guilty conscience to make a legitimate go at it.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Mafia: Endgame Everyone who played, feel free to post.
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 08:58:09 PM »
I figured out very quickly that with a few minions plus my ability to take away a vote for the opposition and add two of my own, I could pretty much determine the bandwagon for every vote. I insured my safety from the voting masses by positioning myself between the "IRC crew" and the "IM crew". Originally, it was just to keep being voted for myself. I rallied these guys against probable bad guys by saying "hey, IRC crew, the IM crew is going to vote for soandso if you do" and vice versa. If anybody turned on me I could have the other side for insurance

In addition to raining down votes on whoever looked the slightest bit suspicious, we could also just bully people around and then all change our votes. In the rabid IM'ing and voting and vote-changing, I was busy taking notes about who voted for who, who voted with who, charting it all out (I literally had a chart and a lot of notes - maybe i'll post them) and discussing possible and likely mob matchups. Mob guys gave themselves away with their demeanor or just odd comments, especially Blacknmild (or they just got owned by the SK or other mobsters in the first couple days ahahahah). SS4 and BB did a rad job of staying under the radar in my IRC crew, but then again I didn't need to trust them to get their votes in swing! Also, I passed on all my notes and silly chart to Bill. We had a pretty sweet team

"I have never seen such cohesive and productive teamwork" - Pryo

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »

Originally posted by: breakyboy
Good thought Aurion, but actually, I was doing my job.

I was killing townies.

I dunno... I'd think that trying to kill the detective should have been your primary goal.  At least, that's what I personally would have went for, ya know, to take out the biggest threat against me (me being the serial killer).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline breakyboy

• round the corner fudge is made
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
To be honest, I kind of wanted the townies to win. I participated as much as anyone outside of Bill/Ty in figuring out who the mob members were.

Ty has my trust for a reason. In fact, it was because of this trust, that I was rather certain that Bill wasn't the detective. I kind of have issues with out-and-out lying, so I had to skirt that line of not lying, but not revealing my hand either while keeping their trust. Bill can probably confirm that I outright spelled it out for him the possibility of my being the SK on several occasions during the last few nights.

In any case, I knew full well that the detective was the one I needed to go after to survive. Stabbing in the dark does no good though (which is why I figured UncleBob for a townie. I thought the same of wandering because he insisted on RPing and playing switzerland, which made me think he was trying to make the best of being a regular character). So, while I waited, I bided my time, and just let things happen.

My only real stab at the detective was in that last kill. I suspected I would be out for the weekend (I forgot Pryo said we wouldn't play on weekends), and I sent him my next kill well in advance (friday night I believe). Where Bill did really throw me off was with Pale.

I had narrowed my suspicions of the detective down to three: MysticGohan, Pale, and InfernalMonkey. I suspected Pale of something, and through our IMing back and forth, Bill knew it. His corroboration of my suspicion of Pale did much more to make me vote for Ferny than anything he said to me after that. Deciding to ignore my gut, I sent Pryo that early PM with Ferny as my next kill. It was only later that night that Bill presented Ferny as someone he implicitly trusted. I did think it was too easy, but I decided to stick with my kill anyways, and it was only on Monday that I was getting more certain it was wrong. I IMed Bill about the vote (which I missed as I expected I would), and I asked him about Ferny again. The way he responded to me, made it pretty obvious.

At that point, I decided that there was no point in changing the vote. There were too many things against me. One, the townies had the numbers in their favor. Two, if I killed the detective, that left Bill. If I killed Bill, that left the detective. Bill and I had already discussed contingency plans in the event of his death so that the townies could continue, much how Ty pretty much passed the torch to Bill. I knew full well that even if my assumptions about the detective's investigations were wrong, the numbers game would catch me in the end, since there was no way I could kill townies fast enough. So, I just let the kill stay as I made it.

I got the PM from Florence/Bill late at night when I was nice and tired, and I PMed him back with a "BOUT TIME JESUS" message, and let Pryo know what I wanted to do in case something unexpected happened (I was going to kill Bill for laughs and then kill myself). Cue endgame and this thread.

In conclusion, I'm never playing this again.  

Edit: Oh and I do have to say congrats to Ty and Bill. They had this game on lockdown from the start.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 01:37:03 AM »
Well, I had fun (even if I died early). When does the next one start?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2006, 02:46:54 AM »
I would have gone far if it wasn't for the trigger happy Vigilante.

I tried to come off as innocent to the people I also thought were innocent, and to come off a bit suspicious towards "others" so I didn't get killed overnight. Turns out I did get killed overnight anyway.

So yeah, when's the next one?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »
I was upset when the vigilanted went down, and also upset at my bad guessing.

Overall I was a crappy detective that made one good discovery towards the end of the game, and that was SS4.  I kept finding townies but didn't reveal myself until the second godfather died.  I also investigated Ty and thought he was gonna be my first ally, and then that same night he got killed.  I was sad.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006, 04:13:23 AM »
ahaha, that was the funnest thing ever, even if I did die so early. Thanks, Pryo, you did an awesome job.

I thought the same of wandering because he insisted on RPing and playing switzerland, which made me think he was trying to make the best of being a regular character).

That's actually what I was going for. Making townies feel I was just a townie because I wouldn't  rp-out-of-boredom so much if I wasn't, and make the fanboys think I wasn't a threat by pretending to be totally neutral and just out to have a good time. I knew my biggest threat was from the SK, because I was drawing so much attention to myself....and I guess I was right. I role-played up a storm anyway because I was having way too much fun to stop.

Oh, there was one other reason I role-played non-stop: I knew that, if I was going to win, I would have to stab everyone in the back, so I wanted everyone to know that I was just playing the part of a heartless bastard who befriended everyone before killing them horribly.

...I probably played that part a little too well. I became godfather because, when I found out that PYAC had died from pryo before the official announcment, I sent PYAC an in-character note (pretending to have found him as he lay dying in the gutter) pretty much begging him to make me his sucessor. And on my first and only day of the job, I tried to get cozy with everybody that I could, knowing full well I'd kill everybody I was passing notes to and such.

My fatal mistake was not sleeping the night before the second day. That's way my role-playing got so out of whack towards the end (I was even sending PMs with, eh, prostitution-related humor towards the end....let's just pretend that was just a clever ruse to determine who the town whore was, k?)...which I assume drew the SK's attention (or did you have your sights on me earlier, breaky?). And that's also why I failed to vote that night (I fell asleep during the Daily Show, which NEVER happens to me.) (Oh, if I had voted, I was going to go after TY - I was convinced he was the fanboy godfather for some reason. Though as the town whore he was just as dangerous.)

...I'm actually kind of glad I never got around to the back-stabbing, though. If I had, you'd all probably hate me now.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2006, 04:18:54 AM »
I investigated Bill first and was completely convinced he was the fanboy godfather after he came back as townie.  =P

I should have investigated you earlier wandering.... after our silly conversations in the bar.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 04:42:41 AM »
I'm very surprised you didn't, actually.

I would've killed you that night, except I was convinced you were the vigilante and I had crazy dreams of teaming up with you to kill all the fanboys.

Interesting that I had pretty good instincts about who in the game had 'roles'....I was just completley wrong about what those roles were.

"I have never seen such cohesive and productive teamwork" - Pryo

That completely surprised me. I was assuming that everyone would be way too distrusting to really form up in any capacity. If I could put my psychoanalysis hat on for a moment, I think that probably had a lot to do with the fact that Ty and Bill were both authority figures from the outset (Ty being a real-life mod, Bill being the fictional judge.)

But regardless, my hat's off to all of you folks. You completely clobbered us baddies.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 05:15:21 AM »
It was pretty obvious that Bill was working with Ty  In hindsight I should have told my group to kill Bill, but the timing of my revenge on Ty was pretty sweet

Also, making a new account pretending to be the detective was pathetic.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006, 06:11:28 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
It was pretty obvious that Bill was working with Ty  In hindsight I should have told my group to kill Bill, but the timing of my revenge on Ty was pretty sweet

Also, making a new account pretending to be the detective was pathetic.

Ahaha, so YOU were Jung whatever?  That account name had your taste written all over it!

Oh, and it was only obvious I was working with Ty because you were in our MSN chats!  The funniest thing was when you were angry at me and thought *I* was the whore when Ty bumped the vote against you...

I also found it funny when Ty and myself were pretty confident that ShyGuy and Mario were baddies of some sort, only for them to be both dead the next day!  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006, 06:15:57 AM »
I was NOT Jung whatever >=U I was saying that to Ty cause I figured HE was the faker, what with spelling it "cereal killer" and also just because he's Ty.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 08:31:59 AM »
Yeah, I totally figured you would kill Bill before me :S lucky him though lol

There'll be another Mafia game but not until sometime after next week - like two weeks? I'll be hosting next time and I'm kicking around ideas and themes, so pass any great ideas you might have onto me.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:30 AM »
I had fun.  'Cept no one included me in any of their private chats except wandering and Pale (who told me he was the cop about 15 minutes before I was murdered).

I'll echo the general sentiment here:  When's the next game?  Also, we should get Ian Sane to play.  I'm sure some disgruntled Nintendo fan will try to kill him on the first night.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  SUPER answered my question.

As far as "themes" go this one had an almost film noir feel to it.  I'd like to see a crazy anime theme next time around.  Or perhaps a southern one, just so I can say Y'all.

2nd EDIT:  If we set it in an 18th century town in Texas we can have a Sheriff in stead of a Detective.  Wouldn't that be fun?  Howdy Partner!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »
Heh, I knew who the others were by my power of deduction Bill listened to me most often, since we kept in touch.
Sadly I was murdered by that cold and heartless murduer SS4Gogita BTW I hate DBGT

But in the end I was mostly right, hehe
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2006, 10:30:29 AM »

There'll be another Mafia game but not until sometime after next week - like two weeks? I'll be hosting next time and I'm kicking around ideas and themes, so pass any great ideas you might have onto me.

Awesome. I vote for a vampires-werewolves theme, with an old European town as the setting.

(side note: I'd be up for playing in 2 weeks, but it does almost feel like that might be too soon for some people. The game does take 1 week to play, after all.)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2006, 11:40:54 AM »
There's no rule you have to play every game.  If this becomes a regular thing, you're free to skip out on games and then play the next thing.  In fact, that might almost be better, otherwise we could end up with 50 townies and six different mafias because too many people want to play.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2006, 02:09:20 PM »
I'll probably try it out next time you guys do it.  It was incredibly confusing, but sounds fun, so I'll put forth extra effort
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »
I think the detective is kinda powerful - espically toward the latter part of the game.  Perhaps there should be some new rules?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »
He's not so powerful if he's dead, no?  The Mafia members should be doing their best to try and deduct who the detective is so they don't have to worry about him...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2006, 04:36:10 PM »
But, in theory, the detective could do nothing but "investigate" someone every night and vote once a day - never really interacting or such - making it near impossible to determine who is the detective - except for process of elimination.

I was thinking something along the lines of letting the detective ask three questions every night, but they must have "Yes" or "No" answers.  Like "Is Bill a townie?" or "Is Infernal Monkey in the Mafia?".  Kinda adds a bit more of a challange...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2006, 06:14:43 PM »
Haha, but that just gives the detective more chances at finding more people! =D