Author Topic: The 'I don't feel so stupid standing ten hours in line one year later' thread :)  (Read 5009 times)

Offline ShreddersDojo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Well, others had too be like me one year ago...

Getting out at 10 PM, staying about 8 hours in line for the stores too open, and getting your Wii.  You where probably figuring, 'ehh, it probably won't be as popular and will be easy too get later, but why take chances?'.    

Boy, am I glad I went when I did.  Hard too believe but one year later, Wii is STILL hard too find.  Anyone going too desperate straights too try and secure one for the holidays?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
It was worth it not just to secure one but to experience the "event" of getting it.

Please go too spelling school also because that is REALLY irritating

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
I was part of a lock-in at Game Crazy, I got food and got to play games until midnight.

Although most of that time was spent playing Sonic 2k6, which is LIKE sitting out in the cold.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I think I'm going to camp out at Best Buy for a Wii, I can make some nice profit on ebay! Besides can't break my Wii camp out tradition.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
I got a reservation at GameStop.  I got in an hour before opening.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I spent the night at a Toys 'R' Us. It was so worth it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
I played Super Mario 64 DS multiplayer with two other guys half an hour before the store opened on launch day, it was pretty fun. There was a massive crowd, but most of it turned out to be goons buying tickets to some Australian Idol performance for the weekend since the store (Myer) also handle those sort of things.

The store staff didn't even know what the group of ooooh twenty of so were talking about. "THE WII" "Oh is that the new computer game.. let me check out back". Then they brought out their extremely limited supply of games and dumped them on the counter for everyone to fight over. Two copies of Monkey Ball in total, four Zelda's (!), five Wii Play's, no copies of GT Pro which were meant to be given away free with the pre-orders, no Classic Controllers, nevah foghat the nerd chaos!  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
Out of all the systems I've stood in line for, the Wii launch had to be the best collection of of people. Probably the worse one was the PS3, there were buttheads galore there, not to mention a ton of back stabbing. Xbox 360 launch was fairly good though.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
A day after launch my father played a demo unit at a local store and decided to preorder one from the next shipment. No line standing at all and I don't think the delay hurt much. My Wiimote already had the thicker strap (my second one doesn't which helps with differentiating without powering the thing up). My Wii got so little use during the first few months that not buying it then wouldn't have changed much (except I probably wouldn't have wasted money on Rayman).

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
Not as annoying as the spelling police.  so screw me....I forgot too re-check it.  

I remember at our launch, we had someone going up and down the line asking how many folks where getting Zelda and what extra games they where planning too purchase.  I must have been the only one who  was getting Drabonall Z with Zelda.  Since then I've only gotten two other games, Mario and TMNT.  I haven't had time too look at dbz yet, Zelda I'm halfway through, and TMNT I've beaten.  Mario is still being worked on, but I'm on the second Galaxy Dome already.  

Unfortunately, I missed the pre-orders, since they where not really well advertised.  You had too be lucky too spot a message board posting or website update in time....

And of course, I've probably bought about 10 Virtual Console games by now .

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile

Originally posted by: ShreddersDojo

Not as annoying as the spelling police.  so screw me....I forgot too re-check it.
'forgot to' not 'forgot too' you barbaric brute.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
Now watch as I burn down your villages and steal your turkeys ...........

the Spelling Brutes have entertteeedd townnn .

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit

entertteeedd townnn

I think you mean "entered town." Got a few extra letters in there. Just doing my civilian duty to help the spelling police.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile

Now watch as I burn down your villages and steal your turkeys ...........
Hell has no wrath like a grammar Nazi scorned.

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Man, when I lined up for a Wii reservation throughout the night at a ToysRUs, I was just doing it for the fun of it. Everyone in line basically agreed that the PS3 was the one to get and that the Wii wasn't really worth pre-ordering, we were all just doing it for the experience... wow.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
i didnt line up at all. I was working that night at the nintendo world store and after closing they let us employees buy wii's...

but since i didnt pre-order mine like every one else did i could only buy games an accessories, so i bought zelda and red steel.

luuuuckily, i called my mom up earlier that day and let her know that if she happened to be out s hopping, to try and pick one up but not worry about it too much (cuz i was SO sure i'd get one from the NWS). I get out of work around 10 or so and give her a call and she tells me she got one.

her story was... she was at a circuit city waiting on line to get one, and when she gets to the front of the line the woman asks for wii voucher. my mom had no idea what this voucher was so the woman kicked her off the line. as she's walking away she must of passed by another register when the next cashier asked "next? ma'am are you next?!?" and because my mom noticed that the person that was really online was too busy on the phone she hopped in. she told the woman she didnt have a voucher and said "can i pleeease get one w/o it " and the woman just gave it to her. she even picked up zelda an red steel! as she's leaving some woman towards the end of the line throws her voucher away cuz she's tired of waiting so my mom grabs it, heads back to the car to put the first wii away, and gets BACK online to buy a second one! she sold it to a small friend for a profit a week or so later even though i told her to put it on ebay for way more.

so on my way home i couldnt stop smiling at how lucky i am and how awesome my mom is.. even though i felt a little bad that atleast two poor kids didnt get a wii that day cuz we had dumb luck.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
Most Cool mom indeed .

I only really need my parents help these days for driving.  If an area is too congested I get too nervous and the OCD kicks in, so I'm hardly an effective driver.  But as far as line waiting, I'm like the rest of you, as it's part of the experience . I  wish I had a relative who I could use as a backup, heh.

Although last year, I made the mistake of waiting in 40 degree weather with only a sweatshirt.  I normally don't mind cold weather, and will occasionally even go outside in shorts in ten degree weather too get the mail and bring in the garbage and not be bothered by it.  But in this case, 8 hours was a tad too much for even me .  Especially when the wind picked up later in the night.  I had too get over a quick cold before I could enjoy my wii .

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
I waited a shade under a full day in the Walmart Garden Center for my Wii.  EBA helped me through though.
Even though I had a Preorder which did come through so I'm glad I did line up.  Even though in less then a week I ultimately had to send my Wii back for a new one from Nintendo.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I don't know, but I answered no less than 40 phone calls today asking me if we had any Wiis in.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
On another note, I changed my Voice Mail special for work...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Freyr

• View Profile
I waited a long time at my local toysrus, about 45 hole minutes of pure pain

I went to the local toyrus, which was one of the few to have a midnight launch and they had a stock of like about 250, if I remember correctly. I got there at about 11:15, got in line at 11:25, and was walking out the door by 12:15, with one of the last three wii's.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Hah. I waited in line not for the console, but for the PRE-ORDER! That was like... a month in advance almost. On release day I waltzed in there around 12 pm and picked it up.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hah. I waited in line not for the console, but for the PRE-ORDER! That was like... a month in advance almost. On release day I waltzed in there around 12 pm and picked it up.

I did better than you, I didn't even have to stand in line for my preorder because I was called in to specially preorder the Wii and PS3 at Gamestop! Then on launch day I camped out for 4hrs and got 3 other systems.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I waited in line for the pre-order as well. I felt really stupid about that. I got to my EB half an hour before they opened. Having been there the night before picking up something that I don't remember, I had asked how many Wii pre-orders they would have available. The guy said they had 7. When I got there there was already a small line, and I was 7th. There were quite a few people that arrived later and weren't able to get one, which surprised me because everyone believed there would be tons of them available everywhere on launch day and the fact that EB/GameStop hadn't publicized the pre-order day. As the weeks and months went by with the thing remaining impossible to find I felt less and less stupid about pre-ordering.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
There was a guy behind me in line who was real pissed that he wouldn't get a PS3 to sell off. The first 5 people in line were all there for the PS3 and basically cleaned out the pre-orders, meaning he, in 9th position or so, wouldn't get the PS3. I commiserated with him and agreed with the common wisdom that the it was pointless to get the Wii and it would be in plenty of supply. I feel sorry for him now because of hopw wrong we both were about it. He did get two TMX Elmos though, which were also great toys from that holiday season. Retailed for 39.99 and ebayed for $100+.