Author Topic: Safe Words 12: It's true! We rue this Wii U review too. Final Round!  (Read 41969 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 12: It's true! We rue this Wii U review too. Round 7.
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:45 AM »
Yoshi's Wooly World came out to late in the Wii U's life cycle to be a hit. It was a bomb!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2017, 02:23:20 AM »
It may have been late but it was a hit. So popular the 3DS wanted a copy for itself. ShyGuy is safe and will be taking back the number 1 spot on the all-time leaderboard (providing I'm not forgetting someone else who is also close to the top and could take it if they advance further.) Of course, the number 1 spot isn't a Safe Words win. Will ShyGuy be able to successfully succeed as the last player standing in this game? Time will tell.

For now, we move on in our quest. It's time to check in with TOPHATANT123. He has the following list to choose from:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
Why did some people get to choose the b-word two times in a row? I didn't see that in the rules (or I missed it). Not complaining, just curious.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
Switch is out tommorrow, you know what's on Switch right? Mario Kart 8, that's what. Therefore I will choose the only clear logical safe word left that is Mario Kart 8.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
Why did some people get to choose the b-word two times in a row? I didn't see that in the rules (or I missed it). Not complaining, just curious.

The reason for that is the person who chooses the bomb word is the last person in the full rotation for that round. So, in Round 6, Insanolord would have been the final person in the rotation since the round starts with Stratos and works on through everybody else. Provided everyone in the rotation chooses a Safe Word then Insanolord would be eliminated by his own choice because he's the last person left and is stuck holding the bag or the hot potato.

However, when Round 6 began, Stratos immediately chose the Bomb word and blew up. Now, the next person in the rotation is ShyGuy who started Round 7. If you go through the player rotation from ShyGuy on then the last person to choose is Insanolord again. That is why he got to choose the bomb word two times in a row. Every time a person selects the bomb word and then the first person to select that round blows up then the bomb word selector gets to choose again.

There was a famous moment in Safe Words 3 where Phil selected the bomb word 4 times in a row because people making the first guess chose the bomb word on that first guess 3 times in a row keeping Phil as the last person in the rotation as we kept moving on to the next round. That's the advantage of wisely choosing the bomb word. If you eliminate the first person to choose with your selection, you get to keep control of it which makes for a good possibility you will advance to the next round. It's in your best interest to try and eliminate the first player to choose with your selection.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense and isn't too confusing when reading it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
As for TOPHATANT123, this man is safe! He knows a good selection when he sees one.

This brings us to Steefosaurus. Will his beginner's luck continue to hold or will it falter when faced with these choices:

Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Khush. I understand the rationale now. The person after the one that blowed up gets first pick, preserving the word pickers' rotation, therefore the last in the rotation from there chooses the b-word.

I wonder what would happen if the game just kept to the rotation, even for choosing the b-word? So, the next in the rotation after a blow-up, no matter where the choice is, gets to choose the next b-word and play just continues? Might be fun to try sometime. No one would ever get to choose the b-word twice in a row (I think?) so maybe it is less fun taking away the "what if" element? Or maybe it's just a terrible idea. I don't know. I'm bad at math and such.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
What better game to test my beginner's luck than something easy-to-approach and casual? For years I've been saying Nintendo games have become too difficult. Luckily Monolith knows how to handle concise tutorials and entirely avoid confusing players with lengthy manuals - Xenoblade Chronicles X it'll be!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
And just like that, Steefosaurus is safe. It's so easy just like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

This means TofuFury must now go once more unto the breach! These are the remaining titles:

Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2017, 12:37:43 AM »
I'm going to stick with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as my choice.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »
It's a good choice and TofuFury is moving on to Round 8.

Now if my math is correct, this is the 4th time Soren will have to choose as we return to the start of the rotation. He's been able to avoid bomb words so far but how will he fair with less options to choose from as Round 7 comes to its near end. The only choices left are:

Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
I'm picking the absolute best platformer on the...platform...in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
Proving that you can't make a monkey out of him, Soren is once again safe with his smart choice.

That brings us to the end of Round 7, another round that has gone the distance. There is only person left to select and that is Fatty The Hutt. His odds are 50/50. If he gets it wrong, he's out, obviously. But if he gets it right, Insanolord is out of the game and Fatty gets to choose the next bomb word. It all depends on the following choice:

Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U

What will it be, Fatty?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Smash Bros., I guess
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
Really enthusiastic choice there, Fatty. You need to sell it...

because it is Safe!

Show me you're safe!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
That means the only choice left for Insanolord is Splatoon which is the very game he chose as the bomb word. It's a humiliating self-destruction for Insanolord.

12 games played and still no win. Well, there's always next time. Not bloody likely. However, there's plenty of time to kick a man while he's down but we need to keep this sudden game momentum moving. This result means Fatty the Hutt gets to choose the next bomb word. We await his choice with great anticipation.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:58:43 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 12: It's true! We rue this Wii U review too. Round 8.
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
The bomb word has been selected and Round 8 is now under way. We have 6 players left and it is the usual mix of a couple new players doing well, some savvy longtime veterans in the thick of it and couple other friendly faces still in the hunt.

On the subject of savvy veterans, ShyGuy gets to select first for the second round in a row. The rich get richer, don't they? Although options are starting to become more scarce, ShyGuy has this large bounty to choose from:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

What will it be, sir?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »
CAPITAN TODD

NOT THE HERO WE DESERVE BUT THE ONE WE NEED RIGHT NOW

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2017, 01:00:13 AM »
A true video game hero. I salute you El Capitan! I also salute ShyGuy for once again selecting correctly and moving on to another round.

That means TOPHATANT123 has to make the next selection. The remaining choices for him are:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
Going to go with Super Smash Bros for Wii U, slap bang in the middle of the list plus it's rather generic name makes it seem like a rather safe choice not to be the bomb word.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
Whether those reasons are legit or not, they worked and paid off for TOPHATANT123! He is safe!

Can you feel the tension starting to build now? Steefosaurus is the next player up. The only titles left to choose from still are:

Mario Kart 8
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
Gulp, well going for the most generic one seems to have worked indeed... So I'm going with Nintendo's safest bet of them all - Mario Kart 8!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Mario Kart 8 is playing it safe according to Steefosaurus....

... I guess he's right. Steefosaurus moves on to Round 9! Now we return to TofuFury. Will he be able to join the others who have made it to Round 9 or is his Safe Words journey at an end? It all depends on which of these games he selects:

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
I'm going to make my choice Yoshi's Woolly World.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
The soft and cuddly wool makes for a safe choice for TofuFury who successfully makes it to the next round as well!

That means for the third time this game, another round has gone the distance. You guys are really good at picking the popular Wii U games! The end of Round 8 falls upon Soren this time as we return to the top of the player rotation list. If he gets it right, he'll eliminate Fatty the Hutt and gain control of the bomb word for the next round. But if he gets it wrong, his quest to win his first Safe Words game will come to an premature end once again. Can he choose a Safe Word for the 6th time this game? It comes down to the following choice:

Xenoblade Chronicles X