Author Topic: Predict the final character roster!  (Read 14850 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Predict the final character roster!
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Time to play around with some more speculation...If the 35 character roster on GAF turns out to be de facto (leaving 12 characters to know, none being 3rd party supposedly), here's what I believe is likely...

Mr. Game & Watch - Following the franchise icons on the Dojo, a single icon is missing right in the middle of the other known Melee ones...Not too hard to figure out...

Luigi - Another no-brainer...There's no need to argue his existence...

Ganondorf - Aonuma talked about how his team sent in Sheik and Ganondorf models, and with the emphasis on villains I don't see him being pulled...

Captain Falcon - Red Alloy...Plus I don't see them yanking a franchise altogether...

Jigglypuff - The guy who does Snake's voice-acting mentioned her in an interview...Iffy evidence, but enough...

Ness - Lucas stealing his moves puts his spot in jeopardy...However, it could be that they will replace his attacks with an all-new move set

Marth - The icon of the Fire Emblem series...With his remake incoming, his place could have been fortified...

Mewtwo - While an icon in prior Pokemon games, his place may have been usurped by the new Pokemon...We shall see...

That is 8 likely vets, leaving at least 4 newcomers...

Wind Waker Link - With his popularity and increased presence due to being in Phantom Hourglass, he makes a strong choice as a newcomer...

Krystal - Holding a high place in Sakurai's poll, she could easily stand to replace Falco...

Lucario - Incredibly popular in the Pokemon world, Lucario has the "aura" of being a Brawl participant, as well as the move set and popularity...

Geno - Another super-popular character in polls, Geno would also fill in a missing "3rd party" block, even though Sakurai claims he thinks him as 1st party...

Ridley - High-ranking in polls, it seems just as likely that Ridley could be given "Boss" status in the SSE as he is to be a playable character...

AC Villager - The Animal Crossing stage is already in place, and with the AC franchise being one of, if not the, biggest Nintendo seller in Japan, it seems strange for there not to be a representative...

Oh, but of course, there is the Dojo icon issue to go back to...According to the Dojo, unless they mistakenly passed over a number, there is still another franchise to be revealed...The characters above all fit into known Brawl franchises, so what's left?

Isaac - Golden Sun?  Sakurai mentioned the series on multiple occasions, and I believe Isaac's Psynergy could provide a unique move set...

Lip - Panel de Pon?  Lip's Stick returning as an item appears to dampen her chances, but there is the Screw Attack item, after-all...

Takamaru - Nazo no Murasame?  The one thing that hurts his chances is that he's not only from a unknown franchise, but he's fairly generic as a character as well...Hmmm...

Ray MKII - Custom Robo?  I recall being surprised that he was not in Melee, with him being a unique character (a robot!) and having an excellent working move set...

???Other??? - There is always also the possibility of something completely random! =)

Just my thoughts...Feel free to argue or comment on this fun speculation...

Sad, no Mega Man.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Predict the final character roster!
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
I'm just running with the rumour, which implies no more 3rd party characters...Sorry... =)  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »
I would prefer all the listed veterans to return, and of the listed characters I'd prefer Wind Waker Link, Krystal, Animal Crossing Main, Ray Mk. II. Replacing Mewtwo with Lucario would be fine if Mewtwo appeared as a boss in The Subspace Emissary. I know many people are big supporters of Geno, Isaac, and Ridley, they're not on my list because I never played Super Mario RPG (I never had an SNES, I will play it once it comes to the VC) or Golden Sun (no real excuse for that one, it just slipped by me), and while I've played Metroid, and love it, I don't think Ridley would be a good choice for a playable character.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Even if its just a rumor that list is believable and its probably how the final roster will be like.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »

Oh, but of course, there is the Dojo icon issue to go back to...According to the Dojo, unless they mistakenly passed over a number, there is still another franchise to be revealed...The characters above all fit into known Brawl franchises, so what's left?

Actually I could see mystery icon 19 being for Geno.  Similar to how Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario all have there own icons to separate themselves from the Mario series, the same could happen to Geno as well.  Geno and his icon could be used to represent all the different Mario RPG series.  This way his stage would contain music from all the different Mario RPG games and Assist Trophy's of characters from the Mario RPG games would have Geno's icon instead of Mario's.

And if it isn't for Geno, then I'd say it'd be for Isaac.  The fact that Isaac's game was released all around the world automatically gives him an advantage over Japan only characters like Lip and Takamura.  Then there's the fact that both Golden Sun games did really well in sales worldwide as well, the first one which Isaac was the star of sold over 1.5 million copies.  This fact then gives him an advantage over characters like Ray MKII who's games didn't sell very well.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »
I still don't see why people are supporting Ray MkII, especially when Ray 01 is the newer model -- and if I remember correctly, that's the model of Ray that was on Sakurai's list.

Either way, I really really want Isaac, Ray 01, and Krystal to make it into the game.  All three of these guys would have extremely fun movesets, and would be a total blast to play as.

Only a week and half to go until Japanese release!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2008, 02:04:48 AM »
Agreed, any version of Ray would be awesome, but I don't really see it happening. But hey you never know!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »
"Similar to how Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario all have there own icons to separate themselves from the Mario series, the same could happen to Geno as well."

The thing is, DK, Yoshi, and Wario have their own respective franchises...Geno is merely a character in a Mario game...

"I still don't see why people are supporting Ray MkII, especially when Ray 01 is the newer model -- and if I remember correctly, that's the model of Ray that was on Sakurai's list."

Bah, Ray is Ray...

Oh, and I forgot to add Sukapon to the new franchise list...

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2008, 02:59:57 AM »
I don't know...I'm having an extremely hard time understanding why so many people like Krystal. I can't figure it out for the life of me! Like, alot of people talked about Lucario and I didn't understand what the big deal was, but I tried to like him and looked up info and youtube videos about him and now I can say that he would make a decent fighter.

But Krystal....I just don't get it. Is there some awesome game she was in that I somehow overlooked or something? From what I know, its been Dinosaur Planet, Assault, and Command. I played all of them and she never stood out as anything special...to be honest, she she just felt like an irritating character that Rare pulled out of their asses. She just never seemed to fit in.

So if anyone can prove me wrong that would be great. I know that alot of people like her and I really am trying to myself, but I just don't get it. So, what game did you like her most in? why? What would be a good move set for her other than stick attack#1, stick attack#2, stick attack#3, and super talk to animals attack?
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:45 AM »
1)  A character that uses a unique weapon (staff) that a move set could be based around...For example, you can pull many from the staff upgrades from Star Fox Adventures
~ B = Fire Blaster
~ Up+B = Rocket Boost
~ Over+B = Ice Blaster (or if that's too much like Ice Climbers, you could make it a combo-type attack)
~ Down+B = Ground Quake (produces a shockwave effect upon landing)
2)  Female character in a mostly male roster...
3)  Would replace emo clone Falco...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Robageejammin
I don't know...I'm having an extremely hard time understanding why so many people like Krystal. I can't figure it out for the life of me! Like, alot of people talked about Lucario and I didn't understand what the big deal was, but I tried to like him and looked up info and youtube videos about him and now I can say that he would make a decent fighter.

But Krystal....I just don't get it. Is there some awesome game she was in that I somehow overlooked or something? From what I know, its been Dinosaur Planet, Assault, and Command. I played all of them and she never stood out as anything special...to be honest, she she just felt like an irritating character that Rare pulled out of their asses. She just never seemed to fit in.

So if anyone can prove me wrong that would be great. I know that alot of people like her and I really am trying to myself, but I just don't get it. So, what game did you like her most in? why? What would be a good move set for her other than stick attack#1, stick attack#2, stick attack#3, and super talk to animals attack?

She stands out more as a character than Falco or Wolf do and using the staff is better than another character with a blaster. And movesets don't have to correspond completely with in-game moves (see Fox, Captain Falcon).

EDIT: Bill types too fast.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 06:12:10 AM »
Another piece of possible information I forgot to point out is that there is one non-Nintendo composer on the musicians list that has composed for a Nintendo game...Motoi Sakuraba, the composer for the Golden Sun series...In fact, out of all the possible new franchises that could fill in the last spot, only the Golden Sun series has its respective musician in the fold...Sure it's meager evidence at best, but it is interesting none the less...    

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »

Here is the big reason, IMO. The game needs more characters of the opposite sex, as so far the only "new" female character in the game is Samus sans Power Suit.

I'd love to see one of the female COs (like Sami), but at this point I don't see it happening sadly. However, I do hope there is at least one more female character in the game, beyond Krystal, that we aren't aware of.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »

1)  A character that uses a unique weapon (staff) that a move set could be based around...For example, you can pull many from the staff upgrades from Star Fox Adventures

~ B = Fire Blaster
~ Up+B = Rocket Boost
~ Over+B = Ice Blaster (or if that's too much like Ice Climbers, you could make it a combo-type attack)
~ Down+B = Ground Quake (produces a shockwave effect upon landing)

3)  Would replace emo clone Falco...

Thank you, Bill.  Exactly what I was thinking.  

Krystal would rock hard as a Brawler.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »
Well according to several different leakers who have all been saying similar things, these are the remaining characters.

Captain Falcon
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Marth
Falco
Ganondorf
Wind Waker Link
Lucario
Wolf
R.O.B

I should also note that MarkMan has recently said that Fox, Falco and Wolf are all playable, and that he knows one of the people that is saying this list.  So as of right now, this seems to be the most likely final character roaster.

Well if this the final list, then it's not that bad.  No Ridley and Geno makes me sad, but Wolf and Wind Waker Link are nice.  Of course I don't get why Sakurai would include 3 Star Fox characters when there's other series in the game that are much more popular.  I guess Sakurai most really love Star Fox 64 then which if that's the case it's OK with me.  Star Fox 64 truly was an amazing game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »
You know what I find surprising? That many of the "leakers" and prophets are saying that 35 is the final number of characters in Brawl.

I guessed 35 because its an even number plus one that makes sense, so I find it surprising that while their characters change a lot the final number stay the same.

Not to jump into conclusions but I have the feeling some of these people are leaving characters out on purpose just so they can make people upset and troll.

I mean, they change the Starfox characters more than their panties!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
My list of 12 remaining characters, even though I'm still banking on at least 40 in the final game.

1. Captain Falcon
2. Luigi
3. Marth
4. Mewtwo
5. Ganondorf
6. Mr. Game and Watch
7. Jigglypuff
8. Ness
9. Krystal
10. Wolf
11. Megaman
12. Mii

pap64 wrote:
I guessed 35 because its an even number...

35 is an odd number....

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

pap64 wrote:

I guessed 35 because its an even number...

35 is an odd number....

Odd, even, same diff...

What I mean is that 35 is a nice, clean number unlike 34, 27, 39, so on and so forth. 35. No more, no less.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
Yea that move set would definitely make sense for her. I guess I forgot about all the different uses of the staff. My big problem I guess is that I feel like there was zero amount of development put into her character and from a very non memorable, mediocre game. I just don't see the appeal. But from what it sounds like, I am the minority in this case so I'll shut up about it for now.....until she shows up on the dojo...and oh god you won't want to see me then...    
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
With what we know about the game, 35 and 41 don't fit.  They just don't.  Not unless there will be characters who don't have their own levels.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
I still say Sakurai is shooting for 40 to 45.  That seems to be the most reasonable set of characters.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:54 PM »
OK!

Since its been confirmed that Lucario, Ness and Jigglypuff are in Brawl everyone that got them right gets 1 point!

Yay!  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
OK!

Since its been confirmed that Lucario, Ness and Jigglypuff everyone that got them right gets 1 point!

Yay!

Wait, where did they get confirmed at?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »
Whoa, pap, spoiler tags please! SB's thread has a disclaimer and thatguy tagged his in the other thread. This is a prediction thread, but it would still be nice if you tagged them.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Whoa, pap, spoiler tags please! SB's thread has a disclaimer and thatguy tagged his in the other thread. This is a prediction thread, but it would still be nice if you tagged them.

Oops! My bad.

There, I included the tags.

And Golden, they were confirmed here.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer