Author Topic: Damn it ! I lost my SD card with all my Wii VC and Wiiware games on it  (Read 5343 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
So i went Saturday to print some pictures at CVS. I took my SD card that I uploaded all my Virtual Console and Wiiware games . So I return home and I have no clue where the SD card is. I called CVS and they didn't find it. I just put the SD card in my pocket so I'm guessing it might have fallen out or maybe I forgot it and somebody kept it from for themselves. I checked all around my dorm room and I didn't see it. I'll check inside my truck again but I think the SD card is gone for good.

The good news is I did back up my data on my Mac. I don't remember the last time I did. so i might need to download a few games. however the vast majority if not 100% of the data is backed up in a folder on my hard drive. So I don't have to re-download EVERYTHING.   However I am more worried about saved data, since I only used the SD card for those games. I used the SD card to ' launch the games' so I don't have any of those games on the Wii itself. All the Wiiware and VC save data is on the the Wii itself not the SD card correct ?

Is the SD card linked to the Wii in any way ? If I rebuy a SD card will I will be able to just move the data from my mac to the new sd and play Or will the Wii not like it ??

i'm not really playing my Wii right now because I'm at college. However it does suck that 11 Wiiware games, and 31 Virtual Console games are now unavailable because I don't have my SD card anymore.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Damn it ! I lost my SD card with all my Wii VC and Wiiware games on it
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »
You can copy the data over exactly how you say.

I believe what you buy from the Nintendo Shop Channel is both the license to play the game and the game itself, and that any Wii that doesn't have the license installed can't play the game, but any iteration of the game, on your card, downloaded from a friend's Wii, or even found off the internet can be played on a Wii that does have the license purchased and installed.

As far as saved games go, a lot of the time, that data is stored on the Wii, even if the game, itself, is not, so you might be in less trouble than you think.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
The Wii can only load save game data from system memory, so as long as you didn't delete the original files from your system memory when you copied them to your SD card they will still be there waiting for you.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
That's too bad, losing things is a real annoyance. I've misplaced my SD card a few times. It's been through the wash before but at least it came out smelling fresh. I once found it underneath the Wii, so you should check everywhere even in places which seem unlikely. You never know where it might turn up!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
I've got an idea - leave it in your Wii. Never take it out. Ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
The good news is I did back up my data on my Mac. I don't remember the last time I did. so i might need to download a few games. however the vast majority if not 100% of the data is backed up in a folder on my hard drive. So I don't have to re-download EVERYTHING.   However I am more worried about saved data, since I only used the SD card for those games. I used the SD card to ' launch the games' so I don't have any of those games on the Wii itself. All the Wiiware and VC save data is on the the Wii itself not the SD card correct ?

If you put the VC and WiiWare games on a new SD or SDHC card the Wii won't care as long as you purchased or got the game gifted  from the Wii Shop Channel. The game saves are stored on your Wii unless you move them to the SD card. (You can move or copy non-protected save data to your SD card)

Is the SD card linked to the Wii in any way ? If I rebuy a SD card will I will be able to just move the data from my mac to the new sd and play Or will the Wii not like it ??
Not quite, your Wii Shop Channel account is linked to your Wii and to your Club Nintendo account(if you link it yourself). The SD card is not linked to your Wii in any shape or form, it's just a regular removable storage device that you can use with any device with a SD card slot. Again, all the Wii cares about is if you purchased the game or someone gifted you a game on the Wii Shop Channel.

i'm not really playing my Wii right now because I'm at college. However it does suck that 11 Wiiware games, and 31 Virtual Console games are now unavailable because I don't have my SD card anymore.

You can always re-download them. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:02:05 AM by NWR_Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:18:10 AM »

You can always re-download them.

Dorm wifi refuses to play nice with game consoles of any kind.

Well i'm reassured. Thank You. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:44:47 AM »
I've got an idea - leave it in your Wii. Never take it out. Ever.

That's what I do, flash memory is so cheap you can afford to have multiple cards and have one be the dedicated Wii card.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »
Serves you right.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
i gave up looking for it.

I bought a new one from amazon for $10 free shipping and it was 4 gig.

I found the file off the hard drive, put all my pictures, put all my songs and I still have 800 megs left !

All my songs !!! So if any game lets me use my mp3s or aacs or whatever I have my entire collection to pick from.

it's even faster to load too.

I am missing 1 game ( NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits) but since I already beat that I can download it at some other time in the future.

so you guys can lock this up.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
If your entire music and the picture collection top in three contrary records, the SD card was not a bad deal, moreover your life sucked probably.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
So, you're saying that you lost your mini-fridge?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
get an sd to hd converter.. Slap in your wii, then you can just load your stuff from a hd through the sd.. neat little contraption.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
Got a link?  I've never heard of such a thing (only the reverse), nor can I find one online. 
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »
let me look..