Author Topic: Wii U Sells 57K Units in January  (Read 17908 times)

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Sells 57K Units in January
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
I think this chart puts things in perspective:

Now I'm not trying to say it's selling well right now, but looking at other systems on that chart, this certainly isn't doom and gloom time for the Wii U.

Mop It Up, I agree 103% that its Doom and Gloom is silly so early into a console product cycle. The killer-apps have yet to be played!

That said, the full context of the article you got the graph from notes this about the two consoles below the Wii U in sales at that point in their lives:
1) 360 was supply constrained at that time, whereas anecdotal evidence (and hard sales data) indicate the U was in plenty of supply.
2) PS3 had a msrp double that of the U. Lets watch this video.

http://youtu.be/pJElsNaC6yQ

Abysmal is a pretty fair way to describe Wii U's January in the U.S. market.
Just like it is for some fairly important consumer chains.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:39 AM »
You also have to take into account that every single one of those consoles on thier except Wii U where launch Pre-Financial Crisis.  I think being even in the running on that chart is amazing in its own.

Honestly the "Supply Constraint" and "Stupid Price" arguments don't tread water.  Are those going to be used next month when they track similar?  How about March when we see a bump in Wii U being sold because their is actually new software being released?

February is going to have "bad" numbers.  Why?  Because thier is NOTHING new on the system.  The fact that if the numbers break into 30,000 that be pretty good.  Now March on the other hand has some games.  2 of which are Exclusive to the system.  People will jump in at that point and will see an uptick.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
Optimus, I remember seeing a buttload of Xbox 360s in that 3 months launch period. Hardly supply constrained. I recall some media outlets saying it was, but every store I went to had plenty.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »
Let's also point out that the highest system on that chart sold only 24 million units in its entire life, and the GameCube is ahead of the PS2, which ended up being Nintendo's worst-selling system ever outside Virtual Boy, and the PS2 is the best-selling home console of all time.

So, clearly, the first few months of a system's sales provides little or no indication of the following years. That's the point I was trying to make.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
Optimus, I remember seeing a buttload of Xbox 360s in that 3 months launch period. Hardly supply constrained. I recall some media outlets saying it was, but every store I went to had plenty.

Yeah I remember seeing all the stores where I live filled with 360's as well.  Most gamers I knew at the time weren't interested in the 360 since they assumed the PS3 was going to be like the PS2 and be the dominate system with the majority of games released for it.  It wasn't until the PS3 was revealed to be $600 and most of its games were also on the 360 that people started viewing that system more favorably.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
You also have to take into account that every single one of those consoles on thier except Wii U where launch Pre-Financial Crisis.  I think being even in the running on that chart is amazing in its own.

Honestly the "Supply Constraint" and "Stupid Price" arguments don't tread water.  Are those going to be used next month when they track similar?  How about March when we see a bump in Wii U being sold because their is actually new software being released?

February is going to have "bad" numbers.  Why?  Because thier is NOTHING new on the system.  The fact that if the numbers break into 30,000 that be pretty good.  Now March on the other hand has some games.  2 of which are Exclusive to the system.  People will jump in at that point and will see an uptick.

I agree absolutely that part of the U's somewhat lackluster reception is due in part to larger economic factors, as pointed out in the retail report I linked to. If Wal-Mart is seeing the worst sales it has in years, including throughout the Financial Crisis, well I think it is safe to say there are strong macro factors at play as well.

That said, supply constraints and stupid price I feel are both hyper-aquatically water-treading arguments. Assuming of course that those conditions were true which several folks, anecdotally, now tell me were not so in the case of the 360 :p
In the case of the PS3 however, pre-crisis, on the coattails of an immensely successful cycle, at the absolute height of the Playstation brand, with the hype train over the "revolutionary" cell running full speed, with many folks predicting the PS3 would "Dreamcast" the 360...thats a very "meh" reception. Dat pricetag is a pretty decent place to start when trying to figure out why. Demand for a PS2 successor was there, but not for that product costing 
Five-Hundred Ninety-Nine US Dollars.

BTW, y'all watched the video, right? Man I love that video.

*edited to include more Riiiiidge Racerrrr!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:20:25 PM by Uncle_Optimus »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
Dismal sales, yes, and February will be much worse probably.
But this will all change when decent software arrives. Happens every time. Mario Kart will send this thing over the top.

That said, I often wonder why I care? I am enjoying the system, I fart around with it frequently and I know games I want will be available soon enough and I will buy them. Hell, I want The Cave but don't have enough time right now to play it, so I am holding off. I will very likely buy ZombiU and/or Assassin's Creed 3 while they are currently on sale in the e-shop. (Just where I will download them to is another question, buy at least if I buy them now, I can DL later.)

Anyway, why are we so obsessed with the "business" of video games? I don't own stock in Nintendo or MS or Sony or any others. Their bottom lines are not, so far, preventing them from producing products I want; too many for me to keep up with. So, why do we give a crap?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
Five-Hundred Ninety-Nine US Dollars.

BTW, y'all watched the video, right? Man I love that video.

Yes, that video is gold.
Best part: "These battles are based on actual Japanese history. So here's a giant enemy crab..."
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
@fatty: at least two reasons i know of:

-everyone is a critic analyst.

-haters and fanboys alike need ammo
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
Demand for a PS2 successor was there ...
I think the idea that people want to buy a new console is flat out wrong.  I cannot think of a single system that sold well without a strong selling library.  Consumer demand for hardware exists only because consumer demand for more games exists.  There wasn't pessimism about a new PS console--people were actually excited about it--but that shouldn't be mistaken for demand (much like the 3ds).

Citing economic factors as a reason for the Wii U sales figures (or any game console, at this point) doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Nintendo didn't have to make the most expensive console with the most expensive controller with the most expensive games (none of which are particularly earth moving) and try to sell it at a loss in a recession/post depression economic environment.  They could have made something else (or actually put out good Wii games instead of starving that console).  It's not like Nintendo had a ton of Wii U ready games that were going to be smash hits and they needed to get out a system that could play them.  Consoles and their price points are the barrier between consumer and games.  Until the games are there, most people aren't going to care about getting over the barrier.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Wii U doesn't have the most expensive games.  Their the same cost as the 360, PS3, and PC.  By default any new hardware is going to be more expensive then 6-7 year old Hardware. 

Back to if you can't afford a $350 console you need to take a hard look at your financials and identify where your money is going and if this is more important.  The price point is not the barrier here.  Its the lack of games and general hardware problems. Period.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
Wii U doesn't have the most expensive games.  Their the same cost as the 360, PS3, and PC.  By default any new hardware is going to be more expensive then 6-7 year old Hardware. 

Back to if you can't afford a $350 console you need to take a hard look at your financials and identify where your money is going and if this is more important.  The price point is not the barrier here.  Its the lack of games and general hardware problems. Period.
What's being priced higher than Wii U games?  Nothing I can think of--hence most expensive games.  newest=pricier is simply untrue.  The idea that Nintendo had to have the most expensive console currently on the market is just wrong.  The Wii U could have been anything else and priced accordingly, for the economic situation--instead, Nintendo went a different way and their sales reflect that.

I doubt anyone would argue that $350 is unaffordable to anyone used to paying for their own videogames.  The problem with the price tag is that the Wii U isn't worth $350 to most people.  It's not even worth $300 to most people.  The value of the system has to increase before it stops looking over-priced.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

What's being priced higher than Wii U games?  Nothing I can think of--hence most expensive games.  newest=pricier is simply untrue.  The idea that Nintendo had to have the most expensive console currently on the market is just wrong.  The Wii U could have been anything else and priced accordingly, for the economic situation--instead, Nintendo went a different way and their sales reflect that.

I doubt anyone would argue that $350 is unaffordable to anyone used to paying for their own videogames.  The problem with the price tag is that the Wii U isn't worth $350 to most people.  It's not even worth $300 to most people.  The value of the system has to increase before it stops looking over-priced.
Wii U games are priced the same way as 360 and PS3 games.  To be the "Most Expensive Games"  they would need to cost MORE not THE SAME on average as the 360 and PS3 games.

Um... ok.  So the newest hardware should be cheaper than the Hardware that has been out for 6-7 years... Don't follow you, AT ALL.

Nintendo made a console in the Gamecube, Playstations, and XBoxes mold and priced it accordingly.  By all reports we are paying the COST of the console even at this point.  Let me guess you own an iPad.  Man do you feel SUPER ripped off right now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:29:17 PM by Ceric »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
@ceric

I really don't even get what point you're trying to make... or even if you're trying to make a point at all. 

$60 is what new ps3, xb360, and Wii U games cost... all other games on every other platform are less expensive.  Why do you have a hard time understanding that Wii U games are the most expensive?  Parity with the most expensive games doesn't make you not the most expensive--it makes you the most expensive.

Nintendo decided to release the most expensive console available.  They didn't have to.  If you can't follow those two sentences, slap your parent/guardian/teacher/rabbi/etc.  Someone aught to have taught you how to follow two sentences by now.

Consumers buy things based on value.  PERIOD.  If the Wii U isn't selling, it's because it's perceived value is lower than the cost to the consumer.  This is very basic microeconomics.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
marty, you are just wrong.

First, look at the Xbox 360. When it launched it was by far the most expensive system (it was at least $100 more than the next most expensive console and games were $10 more than any other system), but it still sold really well. It's delusional to think a new system should be the same price or less than 6/7 year old systems. And game prices are not gonna go down, on any platform. At most you can expect game prices to stay the same. It's silly and unrealistic to think the console was gonna be the same price or less than Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, and Nintendo doesn't control how much third party publishers charge for games. So you are wrong.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

First, look at the Xbox 360. When it launched it was by far the most expensive system (it was at least $100 more than the next most expensive console and games were $10 more than any other system), but it still sold really well. It's delusional to think a new system should be the same price or less than 6/7 year old systems. And game prices are not gonna go down, on any platform. At most you can expect game prices to stay the same. It's silly and unrealistic to think the console was gonna be the same price or less than Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, and Nintendo doesn't control how much third party publishers charge for games. So you are wrong.
where did i write about anything that you are replying to?  certainly not in this thread.

I'm not wrong.  Nintendo could have made any console and priced it however they wanted.  This is 100% RIGHT.  THere is zero wrong with that statement.  Nintendo didn't have to make the Wii U.  THis is again, 100% right.  Nintendo didn't have to release the Wii U.  This is 100% right.  I'm saying the depression/recession is not a new factor that surprised Nintendo so it shouldn't be used as an excuse of why the Wii U isn't selling.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
THe overall theme on this thread is that the WiiU is selling as well as the PS3 and 360 did at this time in their life.  Despite the Economy and the lack of games.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »
Calm down, children.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
Calm down, children.
No, I want a Cookie.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »

where did i write about anything that you are replying to?  certainly not in this thread.

I'm not wrong.  Nintendo could have made any console and priced it however they wanted.  This is 100% RIGHT.  THere is zero wrong with that statement.  Nintendo didn't have to make the Wii U.  THis is again, 100% right.  Nintendo didn't have to release the Wii U.  This is 100% right.  I'm saying the depression/recession is not a new factor that surprised Nintendo so it shouldn't be used as an excuse of why the Wii U isn't selling.
I'm glad you are right in your hypothetical world.  Congratulations.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
Heckled by the illiterates.  oh well.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 03:40:53 AM »

Life pro tip: In a debate, it's a good idea not to insult the intelligence of the opposing side, since it makes you look like a complete asshole.

And by the way, they can't price it whatever they want. They are a business, designed to make money. They want a profit, they deserve it. It's called capatalism, it's what our world is funded by. Get the **** over it. And you honestly believe that a completely new system, not produced in the most efficeint way possible yet (considering it IS a new system) shou;d be sold equal to or less than systems that have been out for a very long time and have had time to streamline production? Come on, dude.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

Life pro tip: In a debate, it's a good idea not to insult the intelligence of the opposing side, since it makes you look like a complete asshole.
+1
Loving my New Power
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »

And by the way, they can't price it whatever they want. They are a business, designed to make money. They want a profit, they deserve it. It's called capatalism, it's what our world is funded by. Get the **** over it. And you honestly believe that a completely new system, not produced in the most efficeint way possible yet (considering it IS a new system) shou;d be sold equal to or less than systems that have been out for a very long time and have had time to streamline production? Come on, dude.
again?  I suggest reading.  I'm not insulting anyone.  I'm merely observing the fact that reading comprehension is a skill that is sorely underdeveloped here.  It's concerning, really, that I can write a 100% true statement like the Wii U is selling the most expensive software and people here deny  it and take offense to that 100% true statement.

Your little rant is cute and makes me realize that not only can you not read very well, you actually have no understanding of business or capitalism.  You seem like a very angry, very ignorant person.  Maybe you should "pro life tip" yourself some humility and decency before you accuse me of being an asshole, dude.