Author Topic: Kickstarter for new Pure Nintendo Magazine UPDATE: Exclusive content  (Read 24043 times)

Offline Robknoxious1

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
I saw this on NinTemple.com. The new magazine is called Pure Nintendo Magazine. It will be bi-monthly so for the mathematically challenged that's six issues per year. Twenty bucks gets you a subscription and there are perks for those who want to donate more. Here's the link. I for one will be backing this. The internet is best for fast info of course, but there's just something about a real magazine that sets it apart.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:22:38 PM by Robknoxious1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter for new Nintendo-only magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
I proposed something like this be done back when it was announced Nintendo Power was going to be shut down. No one even responded to my proposal.
is your sanity...

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
shoulda rocked a kick starter page
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
It's a good idea on paper (pun inteded). However, there's a reason these magazines are closing. Whatever they're offering is mostly available online and for free. I mean, I was a big fan of EGM growing up and was glad when Steve Harris bought the right to it back and resurrected it  few years ago, but there was no reason to subscribe. I get most of my news from BlackNMild and Caterkiller. If they miss something, NWR eventually gets it. If I'm really interested in a game, I use Google.

Offline Do_What

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
I don't think these guys will have the access required to make a current Nintendo magazine doable. Just another magazine that just happens to only focus on Nintendo is doomed. Now, if it was more niche and catered specifically to a narrow demographic of Nintendo fans and had ridiculous production value all that then it would have a chance. Or maybe like the Nintendo version of "Back Issue!" magazine. Maybe it only comes out once a quarter or twice a year and is less a magazine and more a serialized non fiction book series.
But just a straight up run of the mill previews/reviews interview where no one says anything magazine won't fly.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Robknoxious1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
I proposed something like this be done back when it was announced Nintendo Power was going to be shut down. No one even responded to my proposal.
Well I guess these guys agreed with you. Good idea!

As far as comments about the info being free online and available much earlier it's all true. If magazines aren't worth twenty bucks in your eyes nothing they say or I say will probably sway you.

Some people, like myself just like flipping through a magazine sometimes, I think it was Jonny who spoke on RFN  about some of the nice things mags have that are just lacking on a website.

Anyway for those that feel like I do $20 is not all that much to invest. Especially to help some Nintendo fans build something (hopefully) special. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
This is going to fail, and fail badly. Even if it did get fully funded on Kickstarter, magazines are funded mostly by their ads, not their subscriptions.  Even assuming they did establish a good relationship with Nintendo (and Nintendo wouldn't, judging by how Nintendo Power went down), magazines are a dying business and they wouldn't get the ad revenue to pay for the writers, maintenance, publishing costs, etc. for a Nintendo-only magazine (Nintendo Power proved that much)...even if it's only released bi-monthly.  I sure hope you like continually funding this thing on Kickstarter a couple of times a year when it fails in the marketplace.

Save your pledges for something that matters, because this sure as hell won't.  I like getting my monthly magazines as much as anyone else.  I prefer having something physical to read, but newspapers and magazines are failing for a reason: the world has passed them by.  Actually, given how Kickstarter's been reforming their rules to make their posted projects more professional and believable, I'm surprised this pie-in-the-sky venture even exists.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:22:10 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
NP went down because Future PLC wanted to release a digital version and Nintendo refused. Nintendo still provides stuff to other gaming magazines.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
I personally think this is a good idea for a few reasons. Websites can get pretty messy if you are looking for something very specific and from something very old. At times many articles online have been erased from existence while that can't be true for megazines.

As for the messy part you have to go through so many links and such to find what you want and thinks aren't as organized as they should be I feel.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Robknoxious1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

@broodwars I understand your points and maybe this venture won't succeed. Still, I was at my local Barnes and Noble and perused their magazines a while back. There are tons of them on every topic under the sun. I think if some of the niche mags I saw can be published then this one has at least a chance.

As for not risking my $20. Saving it for a different kickstarter. I'm not rich but c'mon twenty bucks? For those that can't afford to take that $20 leap of faith then yeah. Skip it. Myself, I'm not worried about it.

I personally think this is a good idea for a few reasons. Websites can get pretty messy if you are looking for something very specific and from something very old. At times many articles online have been erased from existence while that can't be true for magazines.

As for the messy part you have to go through so many links and such to find what you want and thinks aren't as organized as they should be I feel.
Agreed.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
To be honest I've been considering subscribing to other Nintendo magazines now that NP is ceasing publication. I was actually looking at importing the UK's NGamer/Nintendo Gamer a while back, but even THAT magazine isn't printing anymore!!!

What magazines are left guys? I'm now contemplating importing the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine...

Great googoo-moogoo the price to import these things will give me a heart attack...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
What magazines are left guys?

Well, there's Game Informer, but I wouldn't recommend it.
is your sanity...

Offline Robknoxious1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
To be honest I've been considering subscribing to other Nintendo magazines now that NP is ceasing publication. I was actually looking at importing the UK's NGamer/Nintendo Gamer a while back, but even THAT magazine isn't printing anymore!!!

What magazines are left guys? I'm now contemplating importing the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine...

Great googoo-moogoo the price to import these things will give me a heart attack...
Yes the price for imported Nintendo mags are truly high. All the more reason to support Pure Nintendo Magazine. Plus PNM has added some new rewards for people that support this project. Please  check it out and support!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter for new Pure Nintendo Magazine needs your help!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
Game Informer is still in print because it's a monthly advertisement for GameStop.

Same reason whatever the name of that Best Buy magazine is exists.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
Game Informer is still in print because it's a monthly advertisement for GameStop.

Same reason whatever the name of that Best Buy magazine is exists.

But Nintendo Power is (or was) basically a monthly advertisement for Nintendo. That wasn't enough to save it, obviously.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
It stopped being a Nintendo advertisement when Future took over publishing it.  At that point, Nintendo decided they had better ways of advertising their products.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Chozo Ghost- always there first, but never recognized for it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »
Ya know, I'd almost be willing to support this, but 20 bux for six issues is a pretty bad deal - unless these issues are 200 page explosions of Nintendo news.

Now, make it a full 12 for that same price (like old-school NP used to be), and I'm good to go. I'll sign up right away.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
unless these issues are 200 page explosions of Nintendo news.

Considering the sorts of droughts Nintendo consoles are notorious for, how could that even be possible? This was the reason why NP had to resort to so much "filler" content such as comics and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, that stuff was cool, but the reason they resorted to that is because for the last 15 years or so 3rd party support has been sparse and sometimes that goes for first party offerings as well. So if that's the case and you are a Nintendo magazine, what else can you do if there is nothing to report on?
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
Use a bigger font.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »
I know it's still fairly new, but how many of these Kickstarter projects actually result in anything worthwhile?  It amazes me that so many of these projects gets people to give hundreds of dollars with no guarantee of getting anything in return.

I liked NP back in the day but gaming magazines just seem irrelevant now.  Unless they somehow had a really close relationship with Nintendo and could get some interesting exclusive features, I just don't see the point.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
I did the kickstarter for Jason Rohrer's DS game "Diamond Trust of London" which collected about $80,000. We got a niche DS game published, supported the expressive medium that is interactive software, and I got two limited edition copies out of it plus other fun stuff.

I'm sure not all kickstarters are successful, but in my experience kickstarters you earnestly believe in enough to "donate" are worth taking the risk.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:22 AM »
Lucky - I only got the regular version.. I didn't find out about it until it was too late.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
shouldn't this be digital only?

Also NP would still have been here if it would have went digital. THere was a study last week showing future got a massive upswing of readers while being on the apple newstand.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
What the heck is a magazine?