Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 111330 times)

Offline terribledeli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
It's been drifting around that the Undertaker's appearance isn't a lock any longer. To the point (again rumors), that a Plan B for CM Punk is being drafted.

Which I'm totally fine with at this point. Tossing Punk into a match with the Undertaker at this point makes little sense to me. Punk isn't going to benefit from a rub for breaking the streak or having him lose to the Undertaker won't help Punk's prospects (Unless they're trying to repackage him as a face by gaining Taker's respect...which would be disappointing considering the last 18 months). Losing a third PPV match in a row just doesn't make much sense. Even for him to lose in the same fashion Triple H lost last year. This guy is your number 2 in the company WWE. Unless they're trying to bury at him at this point. Maybe they are. I don't know.

After a short feud, (heel) Jericho is supposed (again rumor) to be gunning for Ryback. Which makes me a sad panda because 1) I've always been a big Jericho fan and 2) Ryback isn't engaging for me at all. And I don't believe that feud will elevate Ryback back up again.

Cena vs Rock II (Twice in a Lifetime I guess?)...I'm not really sure how to feel. It's been shown that Cena really doesn't need a title. Maybe have Ziggler cash in Money in the Bank?

NNID: terribledeli
3DSFC: 0645-5771-9850

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
Ziggler can only cash in his MITB on the World Heavyweight Champion, so he won't be involved in Rock-Cena.
And I have not seen rumors of Jericho-Ryback.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline terribledeli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
Observer Newsletter had the info with Jericho and Ryback.

It seemed odd to be honest. Because it basically paints of picture of face Jericho vs heel Ziggler, then Jericho switching to be the heel to Ryback's face.

All in the span of two months? And there's at least two Raw shows he'll be missing due to Fozzy commitments.
NNID: terribledeli
3DSFC: 0645-5771-9850

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
WWE announced earlier today that Bruno Sammartino will be inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame. This is big news since Sammartino has refused for years to be inducted. But WWE has been trying harder this year to convince him, including Triple H personally going to his home to talk with him. Already announced for the Hall of Fame this year are Mick Foley, Bob Backlund, and Trish Stratus.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 25, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
John Cena just hit CM Punk with a Hurricanrana, after a powerbomb, and after Punk gave him a pile driver. Now I've seen everything.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #430 on: February 25, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
RIP Percy Pringle. They should have had Punk beat the Rock and keep the title, and have Punk go on to WM29 vs Undertaker and win, since there would be absolutely no reason to have a guy that wrestles once a year being the Champion (this goes for Rock too).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
Glad I don't watch this crap anymore.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #433 on: April 07, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
I was going to quote the post above... you know what, screw it. I'll just quote the first pic.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #434 on: April 07, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »
To be fair, Cena deserved to win more than The Rock. Rock only wrestles on PPVs, and appears on TV like 2 times a month. It would have been stupid for WWE to have Rock win (then again, it was stupid to give Rock the belt anyways). I dont think the show was that bad, though the crowd could have been into it more. And it sounds like Punk-Undertaker was a great match. Poor Swagger, about to start his Wellness Policy suspension and he didnt even get a entrance at WrestleMania.

And I guess time constraints forced WWE to cancel the Tons of Funk/Funkadactyls vs. Team Rhodes Scholars/Bella Twins match.

And I had to smile when I read that Trump got the hell booed out of him at the Hall of Fame ceremony (and at WrestleMania). And I am looking forward to the WrestleMania DVD just for Bob Backlund alone since he was apparently acting bat-**** crazy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 07, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
Cena wins, Triple H Wins, Undertaker wins. They were all so obvious that it makes watching the PPV pointless.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #436 on: April 07, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »
Wow, complain much? Do you never watch a TV show or movie if you think you will know how it will end? A big part of the fun is watching the match itself. Plus, if you watch WWE each week you would see they managed to put enough doubt out there about Undertaker winning that it was plausible Punk would end the streak. Plus, the match was actually very good. And in the past we have seen great matches despite the outcome not being in doubt (Flair vs. Michaels, Michaels vs. Undertaker, etc.). I dont think it would have been a good idea to have Lesnar win, but that match was much better than expected.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
It was stupid to book Rock/Cena 2. No one believed The Rock was going to walk out of Wrestlemania the champion when Cena won the Royal Rumble and that was the entire problem. It was two and a half months of "Okay, just get this over with." We all know wrestling is scripted, but booking like that makes it uninteresting. I would have been far less sure of the outcome if The Rock wasn't champ or if he wasn't facing Cena.

Punk vs Undertaker and Lesnar vs Triple H were also predictable. I don't mind the Undertaker steak match being predictable because most people just like honoring the accomplishment. It's just a fun match every year now. As soon as Lesnar vs Triple H became a career-on-the-line match, it became instantly obvious that Triple H was going to win. Does he wrestle non-gimmick matches anymore?

Anyway, those three were pretty good from a wrestling standpoint. There weren't too many wow moments, but the near-falls towards the end of each match made them more interesting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:50:36 PM by Adrock »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #438 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »
Does he wrestle non-gimmick matches anymore?

Yes, his match against Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam last year (which was the last match either one had) was a regular match.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
I agree it was stupid to give Rock the belt because you instantly knew that it would be Rock/Cena 2 and Cena would win. Not one second of questioning it. CM Punk vs Undertaker probably was good - but it's also the same match that Undertaker has had for the past 5 years now. It goes on and on - the opponent kicks out of the tombstone, Taker kicks out of the other guy's move, then it happens again - then the guy makes a mistake and Taker gives him the final tombstone and wins. It's literally like watching a remake of the same match every year. And as stupid as it was to give Rock the title - he's actually wrestled more matches this past cycle than Undertaker has in about 3 years.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
But Undertaker earned it after 20+ years of wrestling.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 08, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »
Against my better judgment I'm actually watching RAW tonight (at least the last hour). It's actually pretty hilarious because the crowd is cheering the heels and booing the faces, making ridiculous chants ("ECW" and "Randy Savage" during the Sheamus/Orton match). Sheamus and Orton both had to hide their smiles, and then the crowd cheered Big Show and chanted "Thank you Big Show" when he came and attacked them both. Then they showed Cena on the display and the crowd booed so much that they cut the audio to hide it.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #442 on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
Brothers of Destruction and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield?

... shut up and take my money.
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #443 on: April 08, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »
Even the announcers were laughing and joking about it (and JBL had a huge smile on his face when they were chanting his name). Very weird crowd.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »
In other news...D-Von Dudley's wife works at my mom's restaurant now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2013, 12:51:31 AM »
So, Devon held a show today in my city (Melbourne, FL). It was a cancer benefit show with all proceeds going to charity. Everyone worked the show for free including some of Devon's students, Devon himself, Garett Bischoff, Wes Briscoe, Jay Lethal, Samoa Joe...and HULK HOGAN! I was really surprised by that - this was a very small show - 400 people at the most in the audience, and it wasn't for an organization or televised or anything (and again, no one got paid for it), so I thought it was really cool for the Hulkster to be there (of course he did not wrestle, beyond a few punches outside the ring and stuff). Hulk said he'll be back next year (this is the second annual event for Devon), and wants to work a match.

It was really cool of Devon to put all the effort into this, he is a really genuinely nice guy. One of his students (at least I figure he's a student) is an Iraq war vet with a prosthetic leg and it was truly inspirational watching him in the ring and just how athletic he was without his prosthetic attached (sit down power bomb for his finisher standing on his right leg).

On a side note, Kurt Angle was supposed to be there but he is in rehab I believe for like his 10th DUI.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »
I thought Kurt was out of rehab, maybe he lost his license or something. Still, that's cool that Devon does that and Hogan actually appeared.

Also, I'm gonna leave this here...
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
Yeah, a few weeks ago a friend of mine's husband died, and Devon took her and her kids backstage to meet everyone and take pictures with Hogan, etc.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
AND THE STREAK IS OVER! 21-1 LESNAR WINS!

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
I said goddamn.
Tutorial box out.