Author Topic: Will Rareware Games Ever Appear on Virtual Console?  (Read 37118 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Will Rareware Games Ever Appear on Virtual Console?
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
We got Viva Pinata on DS. That's good enough.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »
How sweet would it have been if Rare and Nintendo did not have a divorce and they developed for the wii?

Perfect Dark Zero for the Gamecube or wii(motion controls?)

Banjo Kazooie Threeie or Nuts and Bolts for the wii

No thanks, I've played both those games and they're pretty terrible.  All the talent at Rare left to form Free Radical, so if Nintendo really wanted the kind of support Rare used to offer they would have been better off acquiring Free Radical when they probably could have gotten them for cheap.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
Has Free Radical developed any thing for wii?

Isn't Diddy Kong a Rare property?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:42:06 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:23 PM »
Free Radical Design (now known as Crytek UK) has not developed anything for Wii. This is the list of games:

*TimeSplitters (PS2)
*TimeSplitters 2 (GCN, XBX, PS2)
*Second Sight (GCN, XBX, PS2, PC)
*TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (GCN, XBX, PS2)
*Haze (PS3)

And no, Diddy Kong is part of the Donkey Kong IP. Microsoft does not have any ownership of it (technically Rare has no property anymore, Microsoft got all of their property when they bought them. Microsoft could shut Rare down right now if they wanted to). All characters created in the Donkey Kong games Rare developed are considered part of the Donkey Kong universe and are owned by Nintendo (before you mention Banjo and Conker being in Diddy Kong Racing, both already existed before that).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:47:05 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
So could Diddy Kong Racing appear on the VC?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
Yes, but they would have to remove Conker and Banjo (or get permission from Microsoft). I don't know if they consider it worth the time and money it would take to remove them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
Why would Diddy Kong appear with the Viet Cong?

NO VC EVER CALLED HIM A ******!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
Yes, but they would have to remove Conker and Banjo (or get permission from Microsoft). I don't know if they consider it worth the time and money it would take to remove them.

With the Virtual console(not viet cong) pretty much grinding to a halt, the idea of this game coming to the service despite the Rare rights debocle seems higly unlikely. To remove those two characters, a hollow shell would exisit in the game.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
They could add Birdo and Yoshi in their place!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »

They could also just use the cast from the DS version, where Conker and Banjo were already replaced by Dixie and Tiny Kongs.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »

They could also just use the cast from the DS version, where Conker and Banjo were already replaced by Dixie and Tiny Kongs.

Or that! Hah, I hadn't ever played the DS version. Is it good?
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »

Or that! Hah, I hadn't ever played the DS version. Is it good?

Dunno, I didn't play it either.  From what I've heard, it was ok.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
I am a firm believer that Donkey Kong Country 64 will appear on virtual console this winter to coincide with the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns. Nintendo will simply remove the Jetpac portion and call it a day.

Has anyone emulated the Rare titles on hombrew?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
They can't just remove it, part of the game required you to play Jetpac. That means they would have to re-program the game to deal with that. It's not as simple a "just take it out and put Donkey Kong 64 on the VC".

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
They can't just remove it, part of the game required you to play Jetpac. That means they would have to re-program the game to deal with that. It's not as simple a "just take it out and put Donkey Kong 64 on the VC".

Perhaps they could insert some kind of wiiware or DSiware title in Jetpac's place. Maybe even a game and watch title? How about Dark Void Zero?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:43:12 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

Perhaps they could insert some kind of wiiware or DSiware title in Jetpac's place. Maybe even a game and watch title? How about Dark Void Zero?

Considering Dark Void Zero is a Capcom game, no.  Nintendo could just throw any NES game they wanted in Jetpac's place and just demand an arbitrary high score, if they wanted to.  Someone at Nintendo probably looked at the time and money they'd have to throw into programming and testing that (and any lost revenue from the VC sales of that game, for that matter), compared that to the amount of money they'd likely get from a Nintendo 64 Title on the Virtual Console (a service they already barely support), and then they said it wasn't worth the cost.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
The reason why I mentioned Dark Void Zero is because of its similarity to Jetpack. It would seem that it would not be that costly to renovate DK 64. I mean the game is old and I am sure a computer geek in his garage with the right equipment could do it if they want to. It is not a matter money, but the sake of doing it on Nintendo's part.

I am planning to write an essay/article about the decline on the virtual console service and part of it I am going to mention a little tidbit about the inability of Rare games on the service being one down  side to the service.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Do you need an editor?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
Do you need an editor?

I am planning to finish it around the end of august and paln to put it on this forum and a few others.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
It is a matter of money. You have to pay the programmers to take out Jetpac, replace it with a new game of similar or smaller size, and test the game to make sure it works. All of that takes time and money (and age has nothing to do with it). If Nintendo does not think they would make enough money off of the game on the VC, then that alone would be enough reason to them. If a company doesn't think they will make a profit, then they won't do something.

I am sure a computer geek could do it, but it would probably take them a few months (MAYBE a few weeks if they are really talented).

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »
This undertaking appears too great for just one man.

Offline Ponch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
I am planning to write an essay/article about the decline on the virtual console service and part of it I am going to mention a little tidbit about the inability of Rare games on the service being one down  side to the service.

Stop, stop. Sir, do you know what you're doing?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
I want to try the DS version of DKR someday.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
Nintendo wouldn't need to replace the JetPac game with another game, they could just remove it and give you for free whatever item you received from getting a high score in it. It probably wouldn't make much sense within the context of the game, but at least it'd be an easy way to put it onto the VC.

Brilliant!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
I hope this new Golden Eye 007 game coming out this year sells fairly well and maybe it will spur interest in doing something with the older game from Nintendo and the other companies.