Author Topic: Red Steel 2 Sales Projections Halved  (Read 8627 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Red Steel 2 Sales Projections Halved
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's ridiculous to buy a game solely to support those who made it and just as ridiculous to refuse to buy a game in an attempt to punish those who made it. Buy games because they're what you want to play and don't let industry politics be a factor.

Hello, sexy. I like the way you talk.

Well people have been doing that with the Wii!  That's why Nintendo can make good video games and sell video games on the Wii and third parties are still scrambling for this years excuse as to why they will underperform.  It's because your educated gamer, your average gamer, and your average consumer at large think UBISoft makes crap, so they don't buy any of it.  It's not really a willful "boycott," but it is a bad reputation, and one that does have tangible effects on sales.

I think that's the problem with third parties in general on the Wii.  They have some pretty bad reputations and every single half-assed port or mini-game collection or spinoff they make just flings them back into Nintendo's direction.  I mean check out all of the games UBISoft has published for the Wii.  They've published something around 80 games for the Wii and maybe 7 are worth playing, much less purchasing and owning.  Contrast that With Nintendo's 50 or so published games, with almost all worth playing and lots worth buying and a few which are among the best games this generation.

And that's a key problem here.  UBISoft has to do a LOT of PR management to get back into your regular Wii consumer's good graces.  That means ending shovelware, taking Wii development seriously, and stop acting like you know the Wii audience, when it's pretty clear that you don't, or otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to blame them when you fail.

Good games do sell on the Wii, but you also have to make sure that's mostly what you make, and not force your consumers to fish through piles of your crap to get it.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »
This is just a giant self-fulfilling prophecy. They don't expect it to sell, so they're not going to bother trying to market it, which means it's not going to sell.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the news post. I figure they're just doing this to get out of spending any money on marketing, so when it sells like ****, they can say "See, we totally called it"

Geez. This is exactly what Nintendo fans DON'T need.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's ridiculous to buy a game solely to support those who made it and just as ridiculous to refuse to buy a game in an attempt to punish those who made it. Buy games because they're what you want to play and don't let industry politics be a factor.

Hello, sexy. I like the way you talk.

The fact that Jonny is on the podcast and thus I am very familiar with his voice means that I hear this in my head in his voice, which is incredibly creepy. I'd say it's going to give me trouble sleeping if I weren't going to have been up for 36 hours by the next time I sleep.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 04:35:55 AM »
I'm expecting RS2 to have a half-assed single-player component...the least you could do is give it some badass online functionality.

Half-assed SP campaigns tend to result in quarter-assed MP modes, not bad-ass ones.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »
I imagine swinging the wii-mote around like a sword and my first thought isn't "cool!" it's "ow my wrists".

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Bowling Grandma:  (laughs)
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
The new impressions I'm reading say this isn't really even a FPS, more of a first person action game. It excites me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
I see an action game of multiple disciplines.  The camera perspective is of little consequence.  Hard-on.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:10 AM »
I imagine swinging the wii-mote around like a sword and my first thought isn't "cool!" it's "ow my wrists".

Swing with your arm, not your wrist!