Author Topic: Netflix update on Wii - is this old news?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Netflix update on Wii - is this old news?
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »
So just noticed there was an update to the Wii Netflix channel last night, although I'm not sure when it was rolled out.

The update is a mix of good and bad anyway. Navigation isn't as smooth and the animations seemed a little bit jankey, while the channel seems to take slightly longer to start. Icons and overall appearance are changed slightly but not in a meaningful way. I didn't notice any change in functionality except for search response times seeming much shorter than before.

Is this old news? Anyone else in Canada/North America see an update available, or know when this might've been released?

(If you do update, save the old channel to an SD card if you do update in case you want to revert back afterwards.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix update on Wii - is this old news?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »
I think this is an older update.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, next time I do I'll take note of if anything is different and you know.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, next time I do I'll take note of if anything is different and you know.

Sadly, that is probably what gets used the most on our Wii. I'm not bemoaning the lack of games - I have a bunch still unplayed! I just haven't had much free time and my wife likes using Netflix in the evenings. We even bought a cheap, used Wii console to serve primarily as a second Netflix box!

Anyway, sounds like the update might be old anyway. Just thought it odd to not see or read anything online about the download being available, since I follow Wii news pretty regularly. Without any discussion online or notification on the Wii, this update could have been sitting in the Nintendo Shop Channel for weeks or months without us ever realizing. (Also worth noting that I'm in Canada. Not sure if all updates in the US are the same - especially since the Netflix service is slightly different between the two regions.)

For what it's worth, I liked the channel better before updating. Even though the search feature wasn't as good, everything else seemed a little bit smoother.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
I don't think using Netflix means there are no games to play; I have plenty of Wii games yet Netflix is still one of my "most played" titles according to the Nintendo Channel. If anything, this goes to show that there is usually garbage on TV.

Anyways, I used Netflix today and I made it a point to browse around and see if I noticed anything different. From what I can tell, everything looks the same as I remember it, so if there were an update, it was something subtle. The only update I know of is from way back when it switched from being a disc to a download channel. It's also possible that the Canadian version has some differences, as you mentioned.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:42:44 AM »
There's was an attachment about the recent changes coming to Netflix, ie the company is breaking the business into two parts, Netflix will remain the streaming service while Qwickster is going become the DVD-mailing service.  There's going be another website and they won't be intergratted meaning you'll have seperate accounts and seperate billing too. 

The only plus note was the fact that Qwickster is going carry both DVD's and Games with is new.  Games+ plan will cost additional dollars but the amount wasn't given.