Author Topic: Ideas for the next 2D Mario game  (Read 4030 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Ideas for the next 2D Mario game
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
Let's post ideas for the next 2D Mario game (whether it's on 3DS or Wii U).

I'll start (UPDATED 4/15/2012):
  • A large, connected world map (like in SMW)
  • You can take Yoshi to any level, even castles and ghost houses
  • 4-player online & offline play, with drop-in / drop-out multiplayer
  • Four types of multiplayer modes: Co-op, Coin Battle, Boss Battle, and Race
  • You can even choose to play with CPU players
  • You can now attack other players to kill them (using fireballs, stomps, etc.)
  • Co-op is similar to NSMBWii, where other players can join a single-player game at any time
  • Coin Battle is similar to NSMBWii, where players need to collect the most coins to win
  • Race mode has players racing through a set of 5 levels
  • Boss Battle has players fighting through a gauntlet of bosses
  • Trade items in your Reserve Box with other players
  • Game has a level editor, which allows you to create and share levels with other players
  • Levels are uploaded online for other people to download
  • When uploading a level, choose who can download it: "Friends Only" or "Everyone"
  • You can also submit levels to Nintendo for contests
  • You can customize a level's timer, background art, and music
  • You can even select what graphical style you want (SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, Yoshi's Island, or NSMB-style)
  • You can make your levels play like SMB2, by adding vegetable items
  • Play Coins (on 3DS) allow you to unlock new level editor parts
  • You can transfer levels between the 3DS and Wii U
  • Levels can receive a star rating
  • Players can filter and report levels based on objectionable content
  • Anyone that you've played with online can be sent a Friend Request
  • All levels feature Time Trials and Mirror Modes (like in DKC Returns)
  • One world has randomly-generated level designs, which are different each time you play
  • Hammer Suit, Boomerang Suit, Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Cloud Flower all return
  • Bowser, the 8 Koopa Kids, and Bowser Jr. all return, but their locations are random each time you play
  • When you beat the game, the next time you play the bosses will be in different locations
  • New type of Bob-Omb, Aquomb
  • Aquombs can swim underwater, they can also be found in the air riding bubble jets
  • Plumpa is a fat bug that pushes Mario into walls and obstacles
  • Goobit is a small slug that moves under Mario's feet, causing him to get stuck to the ground
  • Koopa Troopas can kick their shells back at Mario (like in SMW)
  • New type of Thwomp constantly smashes into the ground, without waiting for Mario to approach it
  • Dry Bones throw their bones (like in SMW)
  • Lakitu now tosses various items, not just Spinies, he may even toss a power-up or coin
  • Airship and tank levels return (from SMB3)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:20:28 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Ideas for the next 2D Mario game
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »
Seems alittle ambitious.

I would like a game called Super Mario Bros Redux. 

The game is a 2D that has each world themed after one of the classic Mario games, down to music style, art style and game play.  So The first world would be like New Super Mario, but with some Mario Galaxy 2 twists.  The levels would be flat, but also on a spherical plane to give the effect of Mario Galaxy.  The next world might be based on Super Mario World and have the powerups from that game.  Next World could be Super Mario 3.  ect, ect...

The last world would have crazy World bending game levels, where it starts out like a Mario 2 level and would transition into a Super Mario World like level with art design and everything. 

The story would be based on Bowser creating a machine to bend reality to his will.  And would feature all your favorite Mario bosses, the Koopa kids, Wario, Wart, Bowser, and new comer Waluigi. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »
Aquombs:  Also I love this idea.  Though, I don't want them to kill Mario, but when they blow up have a force that pushes Mario in the direction of the blast...like a shock wave.  This could be used to make impossible jumps, or make jumps impossible.  (ha)  And they would be dangerous in underwater levels where you are being careful with enemies. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
If I was to go in a more nostalgic direction I would like not just Bowser and his kids as bosses but also past Mario enemies like Wario, Tatanga and Toad.  All his greatest enemies teamed up together!  How will Mario get out of this one!

I also would like to feature both the traditional gameplay AND the SMB2 gameplay.  So when you jump on Goombas they're killed but if you jump on a Shy Guy you stand on top of him and can throw him.  It wouldn't be hard to mix the two styles together.

Since Mario and Donkey Kong started off in the same game and the DKC series is very similar to the Mario games I think a cool idea would to have the two of them team up and have unique abilities so that you can only take certain paths depending on the character.

Of course I wouldn't want a new 2D Mario to be all nostalgia and pastiche so I would want some new ideas as well.  But who says you can't take the ideas I mentioned and also mix them up with new stuff?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
LOL, when was Toad ever his enemy?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
LOL, when was Toad ever his enemy?

Ian probably was referring to Wart.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
Yes, I meant Wart.  D'oh!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
C'mon, you know you've wanted to kill Toad when he didn't give you the item you wanted from a mushroom house. Maybe he is Mario's enemy!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
I would enjoy a some past or even newer main villains from time to time. Though I know that would hardly change anything.

What I truly want is the continuation of 4 player co-op but with the exploration of Super Mario World. SMW just seemed to have hidden places ALL over over the place. I remember some stages seeming so complicated to me depending on which path you took, like some Chocolate Mountain area constantly changing. Secret doors hidden in the sky, under water or far beyond the initial goal were so fun to find!

There was some of that in NSMBW, I just want more of it, and some of them to be really cleverly hidden, that when you finally find the area or accidentally stumble upon it you get that "wow" feeling.

Also we need a 3D co-op Mario, and a 3D Yoshi's Island.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
Ian Sane:  That is exactly, what I was thinking about.  Each world when themed to be a different game would have that games boss.  So the GBA themed world would have Wario and the alien boss...and such.  Even bring in Yoshi with Yoshi's World powers. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
I would enjoy a some past or even newer main villains from time to time. Though I know that would hardly change anything.

What I truly want is the continuation of 4 player co-op but with the exploration of Super Mario World. SMW just seemed to have hidden places ALL over over the place. I remember some stages seeming so complicated to me depending on which path you took, like some Chocolate Mountain area constantly changing. Secret doors hidden in the sky, under water or far beyond the initial goal were so fun to find!

There was some of that in NSMBW, I just want more of it, and some of them to be really cleverly hidden, that when you finally find the area or accidentally stumble upon it you get that "wow" feeling.

Also we need a 3D co-op Mario, and a 3D Yoshi's Island.

Super Mario World is so fun to start and complete over and over, same with Yoshi's Island...and SM64.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
Yes...I know Super Mario 3 is the game that evolved the series, but Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are the games I keep going back to play over and over again.  They are just perfect games.  Though admittedly Yoshi's Island is a little harder to get into.

I find the older Zelda games are the same way.  The original is fun, but it is the Super Nintendo Link to the Past, that is the game I can play over and over again.  The 3D games have too much story that gets in the way.  I love just simply running around in the old Zelda games and slashing bushes and hitting trees.  It is truly brilliant. 

I want to capture that feel with new games...but almost no 3D game has every had that same appeal to me. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 12:39:39 AM »
I know this is for 2D Mario, but has anyone ever wanted a 3D Mario where all you do is explore and collect stars?

Just imagine for a minute a sprawling game world filled with hazard after hazard every where you look. Go in any direction and you'll confront platform challenges. The more you progress and explore, the harder it gets. Every once and a while, you'll stumble upon a boss who holds a star. Defeat them and you'll be granted the star. Stars actively shape the world in order for you to progress further; not like a door, but by literally causing traumatic events like an asteroid crashing into your world or a volcano erupting. Also, after you beat said boss, a warp pipe will appear allowing you to fast-travel back in order to pick up things you may have missed or explore in a different direction.

Sounds awesome right? I wonder if it's suited for Mario, but I can't see anything else playing as tightly.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Squalid Pumpkin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
You guys seem to be working along the lines Sega went with for Sonic Generations, and I like it.

I'd like 3D Mario games with different themes. Sunshine has the tropical vacation thing going on, Galaxy is set in space, 3D Land takes after the early 2D games. I'd like:

1. An underwater-based Mario game - Swimming's usually problematic in these games and this would need to be addressed. Mind, it need not take place solely underwater, but always with a water theme.
2. An urban city-based Mario game - Think Grand Theft Auto. Come to think of it, I can't recall an urban city ever existing in Mario's universe, and if one were created it'd have to be uniquely Mario.
3. A Nintendo theme park-based Mario game - This would be like the perfect love letter to all of Nintendo's history. Until that day when Nintendo actually creates a theme park, that is. This idea somewhat inspired by Sonic Colors.
4. An afterlife-based Mario game - HaHA! Mario's dead. In his absence, Bowser's taking control of the Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario must set out to collect the 120 stars in Nintendo heaven to get back to the land of the living and dunk that sucker in lava!

Also, I certainly wouldn't mind:

5. A Metroidvania Mario - You start off as Mario and set out to rescue the rest of the playable characters: Luigi, Wario, Waluigi (essential character, in my opinion), Peach, Toad, a female plumber, and others, each having different control schemes and abilities and allowing the player to unlock more of the 2D open world.
6. A loveletter to the series's history Mario game - Since you guys brought it up, this idea sounds great.

EDIT: Sorry - after posting, I picked up on the "2D" part of this thread. Well, at least I gave a couple ideas at the end there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:31:01 PM by Squalid Pumpkin »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
I posted this back in October. I still think it's a good idea.
No, they shouldn't make Galaxy 3. If the next game is called Universe, it shouldn't just be another space-themed Mario game. It should take the entire Mario universe from the original Super Mario Bros. (or even Donkey Kong) to Super Mario 3D Land and make a whole game filled with throwbacks and parodies of older games with retro-themed levels. The gameplay should be its own thing but the levels should be made to look like past games, think along the lines of The Realm of Memories in Four Swords Anniversary but the entire game is like that and it's not just used for aesthetics. They could have a lot of fun with that concept. The game would probably have to be 2D instead of 3D... or maybe both.