Poll

WiiS3 or Wii60?

PS3
6 (27.3%)
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: What is the best combination?  (Read 14416 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best combination?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
Yeah Pale, everybody seems to think that PSN is totally ass.  There are some incredible games on there.  I also love Everyday Shooter and PixelJunk Eden, and WipEout HD is amazing.  Echochrome and Super Stardust HD are genius as well.  Not to mention the best downloadable version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (no size restrictions = no compressed audio).  You can also get stuff like Bionic Commando, 1942, Mega Man 9, Commando 3, etc.  Good stuff, and since they revamped the layout it's a lot easier to navigate.

You can't go wrong with the 360 though.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »
With the recent price drop, great recent XBLA games: Castle Crashers and Braid, it's hard not to vote for the 360.  However if you do own a PC and you want your console purchase to last, I'd recommend the PS3.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
Yeah Pale, everybody seems to think that PSN is totally ass.  There are some incredible games on there.  I also love Everyday Shooter and PixelJunk Eden, and WipEout HD is amazing.  Echochrome and Super Stardust HD are genius as well.  Not to mention the best downloadable version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (no size restrictions = no compressed audio).  You can also get stuff like Bionic Commando, 1942, Mega Man 9, Commando 3, etc.  Good stuff, and since they revamped the layout it's a lot easier to navigate.

You can't go wrong with the 360 though.

I do think he makes a good argument for PSN. I mean ya it's not as robust as Live. But the games on PSN sound better than the ones on XBLA.  But thats just what I got from his words.  I am actually interested in all the PSN games he listed.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I'm buying a 360 next week and I chose it over the PS3 because the few 360 eclusives I want (Mass Effect) are more important to me than the few PS3 exclusives I want (LittleBigPlanet) and the 360 controller doesn't suck anywhere near as much as the PS3 one does. Also I plan to go as insane with Live Arcade as I do with the VC and WiiWare.

Mass Effect is much better on the PC. You get improved controls, added features, and a lot of fixed bugs. ;)

I should have clarified that my computer can't run Mass Effect and while I have the money for a new console I don't have it for a new computer, at least not the kind I'd want.

What makes Live Arcade better than PSN in my eyes is the fact that I'd rather have classic arcade games (Arcade-perfect Galaga and Ms. Pac Man especially) than classic PlayStation games (and the one classic PlayStation game that I really want is available on Live Arcade). Also, I forgot to mention, even though it's limited, the backwards compatibility with the original Xbox, a console that I never owned, is nice.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
It all depends on what you're looking for.  XBL and PSN definitely have their own flavors.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Get both and be done with any decision.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

I already don't have enough time with my Wii and have even less with my DS, splitting that time between 3 systems is going to be hard enough, let alone 4.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
hahahaha true, I really know what you mean.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 02:58:59 AM »

That's 578€ in total with the PS3 contributing 399 of that!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 03:38:58 AM »
It really comes down to which system has the exclusives that appeal to you the most. I went with a 360 because it had Earth Defense Force and Flatout Ultimate Carnage (and it was $400 cheaper than a PS3 at the time).

I can't comment on the online stuff, because the only time I hooked it up online was to laugh at the sheer size of the demos.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 04:15:36 AM »
Wii and DS

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:46 AM »
I'm buying a 360 next week and I chose it over the PS3 because the few 360 eclusives I want (Mass Effect) are more important to me than the few PS3 exclusives I want (LittleBigPlanet) and the 360 controller doesn't suck anywhere near as much as the PS3 one does. Also I plan to go as insane with Live Arcade as I do with the VC and WiiWare.

Mass Effect is much better on the PC. You get improved controls, added features, and a lot of fixed bugs. ;)

Yeah but you also get the horrid DRM scheme. Personally I think there are some really unique PSN games that stand out more than XBLA games a big XBLA games disappointed me in a way the super glitchy Castle Crashers. But really you should assess which games you want and then go from there.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
Well, all my brothers now have a PS3. If I want to play with them online (the whole point), I'd have to get a PS3 so this thread was pretty useless (sorry).

I just found out I can use the PS3 as a media server, so that's a plus. I also happen to like the PS3 controller (it's a little light though). One thing that erks me though is the lack of games I want. Just poppin over at metacritic confirmed that the only games I would buy immediately would be GTA4, a couple of shooters (probably COD4 and RainbowSix), and maybe a racing game. Oh and StrangleHold; cuz even though that game is repetitive, it is WAY too funny. I was literally in tears after playing for 3 hours straight.

I'd probably check out a couple PSN games, but I'd most likely just spend that money getting more classic games on the Wii.

EDIT: I guess there's God of War (I FUCKING LOVE THESE GAMES) and Fallout to look forward too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:24:51 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »
Don't forget to post your PSN name when the time comes :)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Yeah but you also get the horrid DRM scheme.

You don't think that consoles in and of themselves are horrid DRM schemes and have been since their original inception? Besides, the first thing I do with any PC game I purchase is crack it. If nothing else, I don't like having to needlessly put discs in just to verify my copy. Of course nowadays cracks serve the higher purpose of keeping my system free of junk like SecuROM. I just wish Steam games were easily to get to run as stand alone entities.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Nope, this conversation does NOT get to be a privacy/piracy validation rant TOO!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »
On PSN I highly suggest getting Super Stardust HD and WipEout HD.  They're both awesome games.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
Nope, this conversation does NOT get to be a privacy/piracy validation rant TOO!

I never mentioned anything akin to piracy. I crack the games that I have purchased and thus legally own. As I have spent the money on said games, I see no reason to be hindered or inconvenienced by the worthless precautions put in place by the developer. They don't work anyway, as actual piracy certainly proves. It's certainly not my fault that a few world governments would rather pander to corporations than back up their citizens' fair use rights.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
Way to go Morari.  7 day ban for doing exactly what I asked you not to do AND adding political statements to it.  See if you can clean your act up when/if you come back.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »
The ultimate combination is peanut butter and jelly.

Is Super Stardust HD different from regular Super Stardust in more ways than being HD?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
I never played the original Super Stardust, but come on, it's in HD.  WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?!?!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
To me, being able to play something in low definition (aka DS) is much more of a selling point than being able to play something in high definition, which barely gets a response from me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
I don't care about HD either.  All I care about is if the game looks good for the hardware it's running on.  All the rest is just numbers.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
I just bought a PS3 after debating the two and ultimately I looked at it like this.

1) I need to rationalize the purchase with my wife and the PS3 comes with a Blu Ray player.

2) Most of my friends don't play games online, so I'm going to be playing random strangers on either system.

3) Most of the 360 exclusives are FPS's which make me sea sick.

4) Little Big Planet and of all the wierd PSN exclusives.

5) Price.  Though the arcade recently dropped to 200, for my current needs it was still more expensive after purchasing what the PS3 80 gig already comes with at $399.  See below for the math:

360 Arcade - 200
Online Subscription - 50
WiFi Adapter - 100
Hard Drive - 100 (This is a rough estimation as the 20g is $70 and the 120g is $140)
HD DVD - 50 (outdated yes, but it is the only current option for true HD movies)

Grand Total = $500

Note - Neither system comes w/ an HDMI cable but they can be purchased online for $3.

6) Longevity.  Given the fact that the 360 did come out a year earlier and the PS3 is just now gaining momentum, I have a feeling we'll continue to see many new releases which push the hardware over the next few years or so.  MS on the other hand, may release a new console in late 09/early 10. 

PS - If you want to buy new and save 100 bux, here's an offer I used that worked great.  I ordered the system on Tues and had it by Fri w/ their normal shipping.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644489278

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:48:25 PM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »
(BTW, 360 Premium is cheaper than 360 Arcade + harddrive and you can just get a WiFi bridge instead of that 100$ thing)