Author Topic: Kirby Super Star Ultra  (Read 7942 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Kirby Super Star Ultra
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:58:51 PM »
Look for the NWR review coming soon.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:28:49 AM »
This thread's pretty funny.  :D

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:18:31 AM »
I want this pretty bad.  May wait to read our review to make sure it's not borked and is worth the money.  Plus I'm too busy with DQIV right now to play another DS game, but that will only last so long.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
Jonny, you're a game-playing beast lately.  Eating massive games ALIVE, I tell you.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »
Yeah and I'm completely overwhelmed with them.  I should just go ahead and send back DMC4 because I'm never going to finish it at this rate.  I play it for an hour every other day.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
Welcome to Lindyville.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
Welcome to Lindyville.

LOL. Yeah, Nickville isn't much different.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »
I can't wait to get this game.  I'll be picking it Friday, since it's the only free time I'll get. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:23 AM »
Let us know what you think of it, nickmitch.  I'm curious.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »
Don't you want to know what I think about it?  I got it Monday... ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
I want to know what TYP thought of it. He knows Kirby and Wario. I trust his opinions.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
I just want to know if the extra content added makes the game worth it.  Kirby Super Star is the type of game that didn't need to be remade because it was already timeless in it's original format.

Unless the new content really adds to the experience, then I still see no reason to buy this.  That's what I really want to know.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
I hate this game because it means I won't see the SNES version appear on WiiWare for quite some time (if ever).

Oh crap i edited vudu's post instead of quoting it! my bad! -Pale
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:15:25 PM by Pale »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
I hate this game because it means I won't see the SNES version appear on WiiWare for quite some time (if ever).

I agree.  It's a totally disgusting release unless they put a VC version out as well.  If this is an alternative to one of the main selling points (at least to traditional Nintendo fans) of the Wii, then that is just sad.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
You do know they added in a couple new story modes.  It's not just new mini-games.  You know that, right?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
I don't care.  I want the original.  You know that, right?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 01:25:13 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out on VC eventually. If there's one thing Nintendo likes more than selling you a game you already own, it's selling you a game you already own AGAIN. They are likely to wait a while for the DS version to sell first.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »
Let us know what you think of it, nickmitch.  I'm curious.

Argh! I was gonna get it, but the weather turned to **** on me, and I didn't want to go today, so I can do work.  Maybe I can make some time tomorrow.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »
Alright, I've picked it up and beaten everything but the last option.  I must say, I'm a bit disappointed:

The original story modes are intact, but there's a control issue, to begin with:  Compared to the SNES controller, the face buttions functions have all been shifted 90 degrees counter-clockwise.  B is not jump, it's use ability, so if you're familiar with Kirby's Super Star on the SNES, be prepared to face a shift, because there's no controller config, strange, since I believe the original did have it.

The new story modes are a big disappointment, and are in essence, a rehashing of what we've already seen:
Revenge of the King is the first.  It's a re-remake of Kirby's Dream Land.  Yes, Spring Breeze is the remake, and this is supposed to be a sequel.  The stages are the same, but have had their pallets swapped, and the enemies all have been redesigned.  The difference here are really the bosses, they've all received an upgraded, and the mini-bosses have changed, too.  Before fighting the new Dedede, you go through his lair and fight several minibosses, too, but that's about it for the changes.

After that, there's Meta Knightmare Ultra.  You play as MetaKnight, on a twist of the original Kirby's Super Star.  Meta Knight has an altered version of the sword ability, he has the standard combo, but he can smash downward in the air, has an upward slash, and he flies differently.  His sword can pound stakes and can light fuses, and there may be a few minor differences I neglected to mention.  Meta Knight can not absorb enemy abilities, and in exchange, a point system has been added:  Enemies can be worth one, two, three, five, or ten points depending on their strength, and you can store up to fifty points.  You can spend two points to create a sword-type helper, eight points to gain a temporary speed increase, ten points to completely heal yourself and the helper, if one exists at the time, and thirty points to do a full-screen enemy killing, heavily-damaging attack.  MetaKnight plays great, there's only one problem:  His stages are all of the story modes of Kirby's Super Star:
Level 1 is all of Spring Breeze.
Level 2 is all of DynaBlade.
Level 3 is The Great Cave Offensive, only the treasures have been removed, as well as any pathway that does not progress Meta Knight in a linear fashion. You essentially skip the third section of GCO, as well as part of the second and fourth.
Level 4 is Revenge of the MetaKnight, minus the last stage.
Level 5 is Milky Way Wishes, up until the point you enter Nova.
The game ends with a new boss.  Something like the Galactic Knight or something.  He's a completely new boss, and coincidentally, the only new thing other than Meta Knight this mode presents.

After that, there's Helper to Hero, a 13 boss twist on the arena, where you choose one of the helpers at the beginning, and fight 13 bosses, including a new version of Wham Bam Rock, Wham Bam Jewel. 

Once you complete all this, you unlock "The True Arena."  I haven't completed this one, but apparently, you fight 10 bosses, most likely the upgraded ones from Spring Breeze, Wham Bam Jewel, the Galactic Knight, Meta Knight, DynaBlade, the whale boss, and Marx.

There's three new mini-games, all use the touch screen, and that's it, really.  Most powers are virtually the same, but not perfectly the same, for example, Cut's blades can't be thrown upward or downward any more, and the yo-yo's running attack gives a good speed boost.  There are slight differences, but nothing truly worth noting.  Everything has a new sprite or has been redesigned, so that way it looks alright on the DS screen, I suppose, but there's been no real difference in stage design, not any that I've picked up, they've just been redrawn.  There is a cutscene viewer added, and sound test can be unlocked, like before.

All-in-all, my excitement for this game based on having loved the SNES iteration has been unfounded.  The bonuses are slim, in my opinion, and I was wrong to have wanted this to the original being launched on the VC, again, in my opinion.

If you haven't played the original, though, go for this.  I'm underwhelmed merely because I've been-there, done-that, not because it isn't a great game.  It's not a remake worth investing in for the new things, they aren't substantial, but the old that's always been there is just as tasty as it was in '96, or whenever the game was made.  For a game, I give it about an 8/10 on a scale that would give a five to an average game, not the typical 7 you see from other sites, the game is better than at least 80% of what's out there.  As a remake, I give it a 5/10, because when I heard about new game modes, I expected this game to be a psuedo-sequel, not what it was.  The game is the average remake, so if you own the original, you'd be just about as happy to stick with it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 02:18:55 AM »
I kinda agree, kinda disagree.

Revenge of the King wasn't bad, persay.  All of the enemies were made tougher, not just pallet swapped.

Metaknightmare Ultra was pretty frickin' awesome.  It really left me wanting more though.

Helper-to-hero is almost worth the purchase alone, if you enjoyed the first game.

The three arena modes are quite fun to play though multi-player (although, I suppose, you could have basically done this on the SNES...).  I do wish they gave you some kind of Multi-player vs. mode though.  Picture this: You start out by picking three "helpers" with three different abilities that will come out in the order you pick them.  Then, you go into the arena and fight.  As one helper dies, your next one comes out until one player loses all three helpers.  Why wasn't a mode like this in there? :(

The mini-games... meh.  Gourmet Race is a fun little time waster in multi-player.

Basically, IMHO, if you haven't played the original, GET THIS GAME.  There's no *major* changes that make this game not worth getting over the original version.  Yeah, the buttons are different, but it's been so long since I've dug out the original, it didn't take me long to pick up on the new buttons.  Also, the Arena mode was made a bit easier...

If you've played the original... I don't know.  It's a solid game and I, personally, have no regrets about picking it up, but I guess it just depends on what type of gamer you are.  It isn't the same as, say, buying the original Zelda from the VC when you already own the NES cart, the GBA re-release and the GCN Collection disc.  If you enjoyed the SNES game (and who didn't?!?), you probably won't regret this purchase.  It's really hard to tell if the "remake" part of it is worth it since the game itself is such a solid piece of art.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »
The game, itself, is the best Kirby game since it came out in '96, and to be honest, the two hold the #1 and #2 spot for Kirby, showing the most of the idea of copying abilities and platforming I've seen in any Kirby game.  My only qualm is that I had seen several extra game modes added as a part of the remake, and they were disappointing.  I wanted a lot more from them.  That, and the control issue is why, as a remake, it was only average.  As I said, as a video game, it's better than at least absolutely 80% of what's out there, and I'd say I'm being conservative.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
I just got it and played through Spring Breeze.  The graphics are updated and look fantastic.  The bright colors show you what a Kirby game is supposed to look like.  The new mini-games play like a cross between what you'd expect from Kirby and Mario Party.  It's a good thing.