Author Topic: River City Soccer Hooligans  (Read 1377 times)

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
River City Soccer Hooligans
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
So this came out.  And I'm probably the biggest Kunio-Kun fan around, so of course I bought it.  It's also just in time for the world cup.

Like the past few Kunio-Kun games, it's practically a remake of one of the older ones, with a few new quirks.  This is a remake of Nekketsu KÅkÅ Soccer Bu: World Cup Hen, which is a sequel to Nintendo World Cup, as some may remember from the NES.  The game is the first 3-D game in the Kunio Kun series, as it finally leaves its chubby 5th grader aesthetic, to a more blocky polygonal 5th grader one.  This is actually pretty nice, because it helps the gameplay, despite being a little ugly.  However the classic goofy phrases, as well as the colorful stereotypes it puts on other countries.

The gameplay is solid, unlike most arcade sports games, where you control whoever has ball control, Soccer hooligans has you only controlling your team captain.  You are able to issue orders to teammates, simple commands like "pass" "shoot" "defend" and variations there of.  The CPU doesn't always react how you'd like, but they also worked it in as a game mechanic, as before halves you must talk, and give your teammates presents, to affect how they will play on the field.  Later you unlock items, which affect your teammates stats if you give them to them.  What this means is that you often times have to rely on your teammates, who despite being soulless (chubby) polygons, actual have a fair bit of character.  The gifts you give them range from favorite foods, to "questionable" magazines and videos.  Each character has a data sheet giving you their likes and dislikes, the positions they favor, and their stats.  You have a roster of 16 initially, but can seemingly unlock a couple more later.

There's a host of commands, lots of fighting style tackles, and timing based super shots.  It's good fun trying to trip up the CPU opponents, and it's very intense when you rely on a CPU teammate to make a shot.  Tie games end in shootouts, where each team has 5 attempts to outscore the other.  Speaking of scoring, every time you make a goal you get to prance about in front of the scoreboard and make an ass out of yourself, that'll show that punk CPU.

The presentation is bland to say the least.  There's a save system, but it saves a password, so there's also a password system.  I guess they were trying to be cute.  The top screen has the action, even sporting a TV watermark in the corner, as if you were watching the real thing.  The bottom screen sports a map, showing player locations.  This is helpful because the field is huge, so it's good to know where people are.  When you win games you have a stalker who seems pretty interested in how you're doing, even going as far to get his female assistant to send you gifts.  When you do exceptionally well you get to have a TV apperance.  These cute cut scenes happen in between winning matches.

The game is hard, but fair, so re-playability is high.  In addition to the 12 teams of varying ranks, there's a host of achievements to get, unlocking additional items to give your team, as well as small trophies and trinkets to view and awe at.  The music and sound effects are retro and terrible, but in the best way!

Overall it's a very solid arcade soccer game for the DS.  It has a stark and simple old school aesthetic, tight responsive controls, a light team management portion, as well as a light hearted attitude.  Like all Kunio games it has a strong theme of team spirit, and overcoming odds.  It's the feel good sports game of the year,  and I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

Up next month is Sports challenge, which I will buy as well.  Hopefully they remake Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde DairantÅ, one of the best hockey games ever.  Although I would love them to make NEW games in the series, I'm pretty sure the team making them is the original team reliving their glory days, and if that's the case I am happy to oblige them.

I would also suppose that almost nobody has intrest, so hopefully I drum some up!