Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1551243 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1375 on: July 21, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
Part II wasn't that bad IMO; it was nowhere near as good as the first, but it was not all that bad. Part III gets too much hate, it's a pretty decent movie.

I know I'm in the minority here, but Part II is probably my favorite of the trilogy.  I just love the spin it puts on Time Travel (specifically pointing out the dangers in it), as well as how it dove-tails into the first movie.  The first movie is a close second, though.

As for Part III, it's a movie I didn't care all that much for the first time I saw it.  Having grown up in a state that's largely made up of desert, Westerns with their abundance of sand and lack of technology just turn me off.  Over the years, though, I've developed an appreciation for the third movie and how it nicely wraps up the trilogy...

...Until Telltale Games came by to muck it all up with a new game.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1376 on: July 21, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
I just don't think I've ever seen a movie that actually takes place in ITS OWN PREQUEL. Maybe the two films were spaced like half a decade apart, and the audience was happy because of the nostalgia? I watched the two movies back-to-back and it felts like an ENORMOUS cop-out.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1377 on: July 21, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Part II came out 4 years after the first, and Part III came out six months later (they filmed Parts II and III at the same time).

As brood said, I like how they actually explained the dangers of time travel. I remember the scene where Doc Brown explained to Marty that they couldn't just go back to the future to stop future Biff from stealing the De Lorean because they would be traveling to the future of that alternate timeline instead of the future of the normal timeline. I love how the trilogy has little jokes that they keep consistent (like how each time period has Biff or his ancestors/son getting manure poured on them). I can't blame Marty, I would have taken that sports almanac and done what Biff did.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1378 on: July 21, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »
I would've, too. Where did the "chicken" thing come from?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 21, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
I would've, too. Where did the "chicken" thing come from?

It was invented in Part II to give Marty some kind of character arc to pay off in the ending to Part III.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
I just don't think I've ever seen a movie that actually takes place in ITS OWN PREQUEL. Maybe the two films were spaced like half a decade apart, and the audience was happy because of the nostalgia? I watched the two movies back-to-back and it felts like an ENORMOUS cop-out.

I have the opposite reaction:  I'm not sure if they planned it this way from the beginning, but the two movies tied so neatly together, and the scenes where Marty had to stop anyone from hurting him or Other Him, with none being the wiser, felt great to me.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1381 on: July 21, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
Inception 10 out of ****ing 10.
10s all the way down.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1382 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »
I'm always amazed when someone hates on Back to the Future 2 and they don't mention that they have to stop the movie halfway through and explain just what the hell is going on.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 21, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »
Westworld 9/10

that movie was awesome. Yul Brynner was the original Terminator.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
Inception 10 out of ****ing 10.
10s all the way down.

I couldn't disagree more. 11/10

10 scale can not contain the awesome factor of this movie.

my youtube review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZwxfNEe0mM

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 22, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
Agreed. Inception was brilliant and nuts all at once.

You can tell this film and the very concept took years to create, unlike Avatar which was more about the universe.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 22, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
You can tell this film and the very concept took years to create, unlike Avatar which was more about the universe.

I get the feeling that fans of Paprika would say otherwise.   ;)   I haven't seen Inception yet, but hopefully it's at least entertaining to watch, which Paprika certainly wasn't.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1387 on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
I wanna give Inception a 10/10, but I just gotta ask one thing: Why does Leonardo DiCaprio's wife have to be dead in all his movies? Well, she was dead in the last one, and I don't remember the one before, but still!
Other than that, it was pretty much good in every way a movie could be good. Sort of like the opposite of how Failbender was. I could seriously go on and on about how good it was.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:03 PM »
the whole idea of tapping into peoples dreams is a really old idea. I've always thought about it, but never really thought about a movie on the subject. There was a Sliders episode.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 22, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
Batman: Under the Red Hood - 9/10 - Well this was a pleasant surprise.  After so many misfires and near-misses, Warner Bros. animation finally turned out a really awesome animated movie.  As a fan of Batman: The Animated Series and all its successors, there's a lot to love in this movie.  Gotham sports the familiar art deco look; there are giant, impractical police blimps flying everywhere with searchlights; the new Batman is doing a pretty fair Kevin Conroy impression; the new Alfred is doing a pretty good impression of his predecessor; the new Joker is somewhere between Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger (and he nails Mark Hamill's laughter, which is disconcerting); the writing is pretty solid and puts the focus on non-metahuman characters like the Black Mask and standard gangsters instead of supervillains; the animation is pretty decent (if nothing exceptional); and hell...they even pronounced "Ra's Al Ghul" correctly ("Ray-sh").   ;D   This may not be an official part of the DC Animated Universe, but it certainly feels like it could be in it.  Make no mistake, though: this movie is dark and violent with some disturbing imagery, although I'd say it's still psychologically less disturbing than Return of the Joker.  The thing I really liked about this movie, though, is that it feels like a movie and not an extended Justice League episode, a trap most of these DC animated movies fall into.  I'll definitely be picking up the Blu-Ray on Tuesday, and if you're a Batman fan, I suggest you do so as well.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 22, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
I wanna give Inception a 10/10, but I just gotta ask one thing: Why does Leonardo DiCaprio's wife have to be dead in all his movies? Well, she was dead in the last one, and I don't remember the one before, but still!
In the movie before that she doesn't start out that way, but she ends up that way.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1391 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:46 AM »
In the movie before that she doesn't start out that way, but she ends up that way.
If it happens again, I'm gonna start worrying about that guy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1392 on: July 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM »
Everyone who likes Inception should take a gander at the movie Dreamscape. Its available for streaming on Netflix. Not so great special effects, but some very similar themes going on.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1393 on: July 23, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Batman: Under the Red Hood - 9/10 - Jibber Jabber

I didn't realize it was out so soon. I'll definately be watching it--I liked Public Enemies (Power Girl!) and Wonder Woman, and I've heard that Green Lantern: First Flight is similarly awesome.

It's hard to believe there will be a time where Kevin Conroy is NOT animated Batman.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1394 on: July 23, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Under the Red Hood is officially out on Tuesday...

And the Green Lantern film is full of awesome, but it helps to go into these things willing to let go of what is known from the comics. I thought Wonder Woman was pretty faithful, but, for instance, Superman/Doomsday (Doomsday talks?) liberties were taken.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:42:00 PM by bustin98 »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1395 on: July 24, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
Superman/Doomsday was awful. Doomsday was barely in the movie.

Inception: Russian Egg Doll/10

Great stuff, though DiCapprio is starting to take too many "crazy guy" roles.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 25, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
Dune: 3/10
What a crappy movie, I loved every second!
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1397 on: July 25, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
I watched The Game Plan, starring The Rock, last night on ABC. I really liked the movie, I thought the girl who played his daughter Peyton was especially good. Since it is a Disney movie you know how it will end, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. The Rock just seems perfect as a cocky, egotistical athlete who thinks the world revolves around them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 26, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
All that Back tot he Future talk reminds me I have a Netflix disc of 2 sitting on my TV I need to watch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1399 on: July 26, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
Just saw The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie!. Awesome movie, anybody who liked the show should see this to get a true conclusion (the series ended with a clip show). This is NOT something you want to see with your kids or your parents though; they take full advantage of the fact that they don't have to worry about TV censors by having liberal use of profanity and tons of nudity (including seeing Foxxy's breasts multiple times, Waldoor having a huge "member" that belongs to a black guy, a three-way sex scene involving Foxxy, Toot, and a random bar chick, and other similar scenes). They also poke fun at the fact that they made parts of the movie 3D but Comedy Central was too cheap to include glasses with the movie (even though it is a 70-minute movie, Comedy Central gave them half the budget of a normal episode, which is why they had to use flash animation company Six Point Harness Studios instead of Rough Draft Studios), to make up for this they include a special feature on the DVD where a topless woman shows you how to make your own 3D glasses at home. One of the 3D scenes involves being in Foxxy's mouth as Toot's tongue enters it and then Foxxy's vagina as Toot's finger enters (although not in a way you actually would finger a woman, it looked like someone pressing a elevator button).