Author Topic: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii  (Read 19469 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
Good.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2008, 04:46:07 AM »
I put in an hour or so on MK Wii and Greg makes many good points. For one it appears no thought went into the GP mode when it comes to making it a different experience than against human opponents. Right off the bat I was getting pelted with shells and got hit multiple times with the blue shell. With that said the game is GREAT you all need to get it, so far the track designs are quite good and online is STUNNING and silky smooth.

What has impressed me most, is surprisingly, the visuals which are silky smooth and are quite impressive at times (though your kart model looks horrid).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:51 PM »
There's certainely a load of things wrong with this game, but at the end of the day, its kind of like the last season of Seinfeld.  Not as good as in once was, but still great nonetheless.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
Oh baby its so, so wrong! But feels so RIGHT!

That sums MK Wii right there... ;)
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
All I have to say is that the online is kick ass. Generally speaking though, my first blush impression is that MK DS is better, we'll see as I get more time in with the game though.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:28 AM »
There's certainely a load of things wrong with this game, but at the end of the day, its kind of like the last season of Seinfeld.  Not as good as in once was, but still great nonetheless.
Except this is by far the best Mario Kart game yet

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 02:58:51 AM »
I loved Double Dash and was kind of apathetic towards MKDS - will I like this?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2008, 03:12:45 AM »
Only one way to find out

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2008, 03:13:09 AM »
ya Mario is pretty much right, it's kind of a mix of DS and DD.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
Normally I wouldn't bump a topic this old. I just got the game today, and am really enjoying it. Looks nice, like the expanded field. I don't like playing with the Wii Wheel though. The Wheel feels nice, but it doesn't control right. I had problems drifting and sometimes turning (I would turn left when I wanted to turn right or vice versa). I think I will try using the GameCube controller and see if that is better.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
It's definately better, TJ. However, once you get used to the Wii Wheel, it's actually pretty fun. The key is to make larger-than-you-think-necessary motions left and right to avoid turning the opposite direction.

Playing online with the Wheel increases your gamerscore quicker, too.

However, to really dominate the upper tiers of the single-player mode, you'll need the 'Cube controller to survive.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
It is tricky at first.  The two key influences are  1) Gotta be "perfectly" level to drive straight, anything not level is a turn (kinda weird when there's no resistance, so it's up you to develop a home/anchor position for reference)  and 2) To pull off those hard lefts/rights that you use a lot for power sliding, you have to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees, requiring some awesome funky technique.

It's real fun, and the Wheel becomes an object to direct your anger/energy at, screwing with your driving for lulz.

Once the wheel is understood, there's no need for analog sticks for any performance reasons.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 08:18:47 PM »
I wanted to like the Wii Wheel but unfortunately I cannot stand the button layout of the thing. I still use it every now and then, but I have to use Automatic drift or else things go awry, and fast. I never use tricks or wheelies either. I have to use the GameCube controller to play my best... and that's a comparative term of course, it doesn't mean I'm any good at the game. :(

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »
To each his or her own, I guess. I still managed to get all gold in all classes sans the Mirror Cup (which I recently unlocked) with just the Wii Wheel alone. It takes practice to master, but when you do, it's smexy. =P

Question: Do the VR points really stand for something other then showing you have played WiFi often?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
No. The fake gamerscore is just to measure how well you stack up against the competition.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:04 PM »
I do think there should be a way to dodge the blue shell
You've probably found out about this by now, but just in case you (or anyone) doesn't know: You can dodge the blue shell if you use a mushroom right before it explodes. You can also dodge it if you make it into a cannon before it hits, but that's pretty circumstantial.

VR doesn't mean anything in the sense of unlockables or awards. It can, however, be an indication of the type of player you're about to face. If you see somebody with 9,999 VR, they are likely using Funky Kong + Lame Runner and are going to somehow achieve a huge lead and be nigh unstoppable. If you see somebody with less than 2,000 VR, they're likely just going to mess around, possibly camp on an item box and target first place. Hackers also sometimes give themselves low VR just for the lawls of it. If you see anyone with more than 9,999 VR, they're a hacker.